Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Today I'm getting pestered by robo-calls from the gov't. Answered the first one, first question is "did you send back your test" - like, seriously, they can't coordinate that info?! Not to mention I got three calls at the same time on the same number, and they've called five times since. I'm ignoring. It's all a complete farce.
bcnfish, capedreamer and leoo like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Well, now almost every province is imposing a 5 days only quarantine if you tests positive (and you don't have symptoms / symptoms resolves in this 5 days) so what is the point to test people if it takes 5 days to get results ?
capedreamer and Davvidd like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Well the calls just keep on coming... I think I'll have to block the number!!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Well, now almost every province is imposing a 5 days only quarantine if you tests positive (and you don't have symptoms / symptoms resolves in this 5 days) so what is the point to test people if it takes 5 days to get results ?
Some news stories I read today have some arriving travelers waiting 8-days for results so yes, it does seem a very obvious oversight to expect asymptomatic people self-isolating for that long when others who've tested positive are only expected to quarantine for 5-days.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Some news stories I read today have some arriving travelers waiting 8-days for results so yes, it does seem a very obvious oversight to expect asymptomatic people self-isolating for that long when others who've tested positive are only expected to quarantine for 5-days.
I don't see any reason why people would follow Federal rules when Health is the run by the provinces. So after day 5, people will walk.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:03 pm

Connecting flights

Has anybody had experience with intl connections thru YYZ recently? I’m considering planning an award trip in April or May with unconventional routing from East coast USA-YYZ-EZE. I know a lot might change between now and then, but the Canadian govt website mentions intl connections have to stay in a secured connection area- any idea what this encompasses? My layover would potentially be quite long, would this preclude me from lounge access? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leadhead
Has anybody had experience with intl connections thru YYZ recently? I’m considering planning an award trip in April or May with unconventional routing from East coast USA-YYZ-EZE. I know a lot might change between now and then, but the Canadian govt website mentions intl connections have to stay in a secured connection area- any idea what this encompasses? My layover would potentially be quite long, would this preclude me from lounge access? Thanks in advance!
At YYZ, there is a separate area for those connecting I-I, which involves a cursory customs check, and puts you airside in the international area, vs. having to come through standard customs and arrival procedure, then going through the regular process through security again to departures. I assume that just means to do the former procedure vs. the latter. While in normal times, probably wouldn’t be a big deal to do the latter for a bit of an extended layover, but now, you’d be subject to current arrival procedures such as arrival COVID testing and procedures, as well as making sure you have pre-departure from US testing, which I think is different than if you are connecting.

you’ll just go straight to international departures, and should have lounge access there, assuming they are still open with new ON restrictions (though just realized you are talking about the spring…not soon). Note Ontario requires proof of vax to enter the lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
At YYZ, there is a separate area for those connecting I-I, which involves a cursory customs check, and puts you airside in the international area, vs. having to come through standard customs and arrival procedure, then going through the regular process through security again to departures. I assume that just means to do the former procedure vs. the latter. While in normal times, probably wouldn’t be a big deal to do the latter for a bit of an extended layover, but now, you’d be subject to current arrival procedures such as arrival COVID testing and procedures, as well as making sure you have pre-departure from US testing, which I think is different than if you are connecting.

you’ll just go straight to international departures, and should have lounge access there, assuming they are still open with new ON restrictions (though just realized you are talking about the spring…not soon). Note Ontario requires proof of vax to enter the lounge.
This is very helpful, thanks so much!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by mountainboy
I don't see any reason why people would follow Federal rules when Health is the run by the provinces. So after day 5, people will walk.
The issue is that the Federal rules overrides the Provincial ones I have been told and the RCMP does do visits to the quarantine address that has been filed with the federal authorities on International travel.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by airoli
It is my impression that the Federal Government is once again trying to make international travel as unpleasant as possible, without actually banning it.
Well, it worked on me

I CXed my December trip to US.

And while not quite essential, there were very good reason (non tourist) to go.

Originally Posted by capedreamer
All that leads me to conclude that this travel advisory + testing requirement are intended to:
  • Make travel as inconvenient as possible to discourage it, and
  • Put on political theatre to show the public the government is doing something.
Just be glad the elections are behind us

Can you imagine how it would be if the gov't had to show they were doing something before an election? (and I actually kind of like the PM).
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
The issue is that the Federal rules overrides the Provincial ones I have been told and the RCMP does do visits to the quarantine address that has been filed with the federal authorities on International travel.
Not in Alberta...
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
To add to the amusement.

Acquaintance went on a trip to the Caribbean. Tested positive, spent five days in quarantine over there, tested negative. Flew to Canada with not a PCR test, but a paper that says “recovered from Covid five days ago” or something like that (in other words, no 72-hour test). Nobody cares. And obviously answered “yes” to the question, did you have COVID in 14 days, but no test on arrival and no required quarantine. He’s now self-quarantining for a bit while being infuriated at how haphazard/lax the arrival process is.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: AC E75K
Got a robo call today asking me if I've sent in my day 1 test. Clearly no coordination since my day 1 test was done at the airport.

It's been 5 days now and still no results. What a joke.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Some interesting bits - including the part "U.S. travellers exempt from quarantine", plus the ever-present reminder of other less elegant metaphors.

Ottawa still hasn't delivered on promise to test all travellers entering Canada from outside the U.S.

CBC News · Posted: Jan 07, 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tra...ting-1.6306080
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 24left
Some interesting bits - including the part "U.S. travellers exempt from quarantine", plus the ever-present reminder of other less elegant metaphors.

Ottawa still hasn't delivered on promise to test all travellers entering Canada from outside the U.S.
CBC News · Posted: Jan 07, 2022
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tra...ting-1.6306080
So <1% of inbound travellers testing positive. Meanwhile 30%+ of the community is. Clearly the airport is the right place to divert PCR testing resources...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.