Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:18 am

Got tired after 6 days so I decided to cut my loss and fly back home. Of course, upon landing, I was welcomed by a mail saying my results were available (and negative)
How well, an early mileage run...
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Got a robo call today asking me if I've sent in my day 1 test. Clearly no coordination since my day 1 test was done at the airport.

It's been 5 days now and still no results. What a joke.
Update:

Arrived at YYZ T1 on Jan 3 at 1:45pm ET. Tested at 2:15pm ET.
Received result (negative) on Jan 8 at 5:10pm ET.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
My data point for a YUL arrival:

Arrived Jan 2nd at 12:30pm. Zero line to get to Nexus (regular lines looked empty as well). Selected for test, no line. Off the plane to terminal exit in less than 20 min.
~72 hrs after arrival: Received a PHAC email stating the requirement to report at my place of isolation within 48 hours and to obey the instructions that were given on arrival (in my case, NONE!)
~90 hrs after arrival: Robo calls from PHAC to confirm that I "sent my day 1 test". This is particularly aggravating as the phone call asks for you to confirm your month and year of birth (ie. personal information). There are several Canada.ca web-sites explicitly say to never to divulge personal information to a call you didn't initiate with the government. Better answer the next robo CRA and CBSA phone calls as well ;-)
99 hrs after arrival: Received test results from Dynacare (negative). Taxpayer dollars well spent! I assume we will find out the cost of this useful service to the tax-payer about the same time we finally see the contracted costs for the vaccines...
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by YOW_RTW

Arrived Jan 2nd at 12:30pm. Zero line to get to Nexus (regular lines looked empty as well). Selected for test, no line. Off the plane to terminal exit in less than 20 min.
~72 hrs after arrival: Received a PHAC email stating the requirement to report at my place of isolation within 48 hours and to obey the instructions that were given on arrival (in my case, NONE!)
~90 hrs after arrival: Robo calls from PHAC to confirm that I "sent my day 1 test". This is particularly aggravating as the phone call asks for you to confirm your month and year of birth (ie. personal information). There are several Canada.ca web-sites explicitly say to never to divulge personal information to a call you didn't initiate with the government. Better answer the next robo CRA and CBSA phone calls as well ;-)
99 hrs after arrival: Received test results from Dynacare (negative). Taxpayer dollars well spent! I assume we will find out the cost of this useful service to the tax-payer about the same time we finally see the contracted costs for the vaccines...
Such a waste of my tax dollars, let alone of your time. Charge the tourists, get the results within 12 hours.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW

Hours after arrival is a good way of measuring this.

Our YYZ connecting results were at 110 hours and 134 hours respectively.

It is blatantly obvious this is to punish travellers.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:55 am

My friend who entered at Toronto airport Jan 1 got her results today. 10 days. ....
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by yerffej201
My friend who entered at Toronto airport Jan 1 got her results today. 10 days. ....
It's ridiculous. They win. I've no intention of travelling while this nonsense is in effect
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Did you friend get any government calls or visits during the past ten days? It sounds like one needs to prepare for a full 14 day quarantine (that's the max if you don't receive your test result) just in case, almost like being back to 2020. Hopefully once the omicron wave subsides, testing time will go back down.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
It's ridiculous. They win. I've no intention of travelling while this nonsense is in effect
Travel to the US is still ok for now, since even if you get selected for a test you don't need to quarantine.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by spartacus81
Hopefully once the omicron wave subsides, testing time will go back down.
I don't understand this conclusion. 100+ hours is obviously not testing time. It is deprioritization. This is purposefully shelving trays of tests for nearly a week. It requires mental gymnastics to conclude deprioritization wasn't requested by the Feds.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Considering these outrageous return times, I am genuinely curious: Once my sample has been taken at the airport, how long can it stay in that little test tube before a PCR analysis must start in order for the result to be valid? Does anyone have the technical knowledge to clarify? Does the time between sample collection and PCR analysis affect the reliability of the results?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Does anyone have recent experiences for YVR? I've booked some ski-vacation for Whistler back in October for 2 weeks in Feb, but I certainly won't waste my time sitting in my apartment waiting several days for test results.

Most stories here seem to be for YYZ and YUL, so I was wondering what's going on in YVR. Are only a few people selected or basically all foreigners? How long is the waiting time for results? Wasn't the plan from the Canadian government to test each and everyone entering the country anyway?

Wasn't able to find much info about YVR here. Thanks for helping out
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:24 am

Well you can use me as an extreme example as noted above - results never did arrive.

This is devastating for the travel sector, and clearly intended to punish people who left, and to dissuade foreigners from coming.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Shadowunt3r
Does anyone have recent experiences for YVR? I've booked some ski-vacation for Whistler back in October for 2 weeks in Feb, but I certainly won't waste my time sitting in my apartment waiting several days for test results.

Most stories here seem to be for YYZ and YUL, so I was wondering what's going on in YVR. Are only a few people selected or basically all foreigners? How long is the waiting time for results? Wasn't the plan from the Canadian government to test each and everyone entering the country anyway?

Wasn't able to find much info about YVR here. Thanks for helping out
I arrived to YVR from London UK on the 9th. I was told I was randomly selected for testing after they asked where I'd been and what I had been doing (London, holidays, etc.), so it doesn't look like they're testing every foreigner. It was actually pretty quick, I was one of the first people off the plane and had pre-registered with LifeLabs so there were no lines to get the test requisition form printed or to do the actual test. Plane landed at 7:20 pm, and I was out of the airport at 7:45 pm. Still no results though! The person testing said it would be 1-3 days but we'll see...will update when I finally receive the results.
Shadowunt3r likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by exbayern
Well you can use me as an extreme example as noted above - results never did arrive.

This is devastating for the travel sector, and clearly intended to punish people who left, and to dissuade foreigners from coming.
Never saw you mentioning that you flew to YVR But wow...one way to handle it. Quite a mess indeed.

Originally Posted by lily23
I arrived to YVR from London UK on the 9th. I was told I was randomly selected for testing after they asked where I'd been and what I had been doing (London, holidays, etc.), so it doesn't look like they're testing every foreigner. It was actually pretty quick, I was one of the first people off the plane and had pre-registered with LifeLabs so there were no lines to get the test requisition form printed or to do the actual test. Plane landed at 7:20 pm, and I was out of the airport at 7:45 pm. Still no results though! The person testing said it would be 1-3 days but we'll see...will update when I finally receive the results.
Not the best news either...
Just read in the German counterpart of FT that according to LifeLabs it would be possible to opt out of this farce and have a 200$ rapid test done off-site the airport, which would free you from quarantine. Can anyone confirm that? How would this work in practice if you're selected for a random test? Just show the appointment and tell them good bye? Sounds too easy, imho.
exbayern likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.