Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Thank you! I ended up getting through to the store by avoiding the covid option (just as you guys suggested) but the person who answered didn't work in the pharmacy so wasn't sure about their procedures. I'm going to try again tomorrow when it's not Thanksgiving.

You have to answer the phone prompts as if you are trying to fill a prescription in order to reach the actual pharmacy within in the store.

Originally Posted by Finkface
While you can indeed show up at any time to Walgreens and they will take you as long as you have a booked appointment for anytime that day, be very very careful if you need a test at a certain time due to entry requirements.

I needed a test no more than 72 hours prior to a flight to Canada, so no earlier than 11am. The only time I could get any appointment at Walgreens was at 10am three days prior to my flight which would have been an hour too early. I just showed up late, at noon, which was no problem at all as Walgreens will still test you anytime that day. In all my experiences with Walgreens tests, the time stamp on my results has always been at the appointment time, not the actual time that I took the test so I was concerned. I often show up early but the result still always shows the booked appointment time, which has never been a problem until this time, when I would have been too early. I explained the situation and that I needed the result to show the current actual time (noon) and not my appointment time (10am). I asked three times to make sure. She said it was no problem and that the result would absolutely show the actual test time. She was 100% sure.

Well, my gut told me otherwise so I booked a paid rapid test the next morning just to be safe. Sure enough, my Walgreens result comes in and the testing time was 10:00am. So I would have been screwed. So if you need a test after a specific time and there are no appointments at the time you need, book a time for later and just show up early. Don’t book an earlier time as you might get caught out.
My experience has been the complete opposite and have done about 12 tests at four locations since June.

IME The specimen collection time has never been appointment time. It’s always been when then got around to running the test. Just performed two tests earlier this week. Appointment was for 1230 and 1245. We took the test at 1230. My collection time was listed at 1251 and got email results around 1pm while spouse collection time was around 3pm and email around 3:40pm. Similar experience at other stores (all in all 4 different locations since summer). Performed the US return test yesterday at yet another store. 930 and 945 appointment times. Submitted samples at 930. One collection time listed as 937 while other was 940. Got results around 1010.

One thing I did notice is with both spouse’s tests this week is there is a discrepancy between name printed on PDF and name encoded in QR. The name in QR code incorrectly list the name of our son and his birthday. This is a pretty serious issue with how the QR is being generated and how Walgreens can mix up records in their systems. No discrepancy with my test. Good thing CBSA is not scanning the QR code. I’m still trying to figure out who in Walgreens can investigate.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Well, I suppose things may be changing once again:

Ford calling on Ottawa to immediately ban flights from countries linked to new COVID-19 variant

It seems to me there is going to be a lot of incentive for the federal government to increase measures (e.g. testing-on-arrival, mandatory quarantines) for people who have been in countries where the new "Nu Omicron" variant is spreading. Many European countries have banned flights from a collection of southern Africa nations, but there are no flights to Canada from any of those points. Still, with pressure from Ford (and others soon enough) there is probably a kind of inevitability about it.

Last edited by TheCanuckian; Nov 26, 2021 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
New restrictions regarding southern Africa.

Here is what I seem to make of it.

1.) Foreign nationals are not allowed to enter Canada if they have been in Southern Africa in past 14 days.
2.) Foreigners already in Canada who have been to these places - are now in Quarantine and required
3.) Canadians arriving from Southern Africa (although they did not say this) - are going into Quarantine - Day 1 and Day 8 test applies - 14 days total.
4.) PCR test to enter Canada can only be obtained in the last country before arriving to Canada.
5.) Hotel quarantine is applicable - - - waiting for the arrival test.

Rules apply until end of January
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:11 pm

About the quarantine: "For all Canadian citizens and permanent residents that are travelling from southern Africa, they will have to be tested immediately upon returning to Canada and will have to go into quarantine at a federally approved location until they receive a negative result. If they do test negative, they can continue their quarantine at home and will have to take another test on their tenth day of quarantine."

(source and details)
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Looking forward - We are flying to Canada on December 27. This gives us almost the impossible task of getting a PCR test within 72 hours. We will be in Scotland and it seems all testing clinics will close early on 24-December and then be closed on 25th. PCR tests on 26th would provide results only at the end of the day on 27th. So - we face the impossible task of getting a PCR test for travel on 27th. I have looked everywhere and based on the departure time of the flight - it's just impossible.
What should one do???
Remember LAMP tests are also acceptable and return in an hour. Those seemed to be very common around the UK.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:49 am

back to the quarantine dark ages... yipee
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
And within a week, the Omicron variant will have been detected in most European countries as well. So then what?
Give it 2 weeks and it will have been detected in Canada anyways.
seawolf, LETTERBOY and jackmaninov like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airoli
And within a week, the Omicron variant will have been detected in most European countries as well. So then what?
once again closing the barn door after horse has already bolted; same for all the other variants.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by airoli
You mean 2 hours

First two cases detected in Ontario today (OK, perhaps a bit more than two hours after the post).
airoli and jackmaninov like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:25 am

Cormac Mac Sweeny
: “Federal ministers and government officials are holding a news conference at 4pmET to give an update on COVID and “measures to address the omicron variant.” This is probably not great news for travellers…
LETTERBOY and bambinomartino like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
I for one will be watching this with bated breath. Long awaited Mexico vacation in 12 days... wonder if I should change my return flight via YYC so that I can just walk past the hotel quarantine cops unmolested if they reintroduce it.

Two Israeli doctors are reported to have the O. One flew in from the UK and gave it to the other. Both triple(!) vaccinated. All of us mere double-jabbed, six-month fade Canucks can probably easily contract and transmit.

Given our federal government's OP, I am getting very nervous.

Added: Won't be surprised if they mandate PCR testing on arrival for any international arrival. The only question would be what kind of quarantine - location and duration - they may add to that. <shudders>
Yul_voyager and TheCanuckian like this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Nov 30, 2021 at 12:42 pm
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:17 pm

Additionally,

Also, they will be speaking to the various provinces to see if they can add the same on-arrival testing procedure for US arrivals if and when it comes necessary.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
... all air travelers coming to Canada, except for those coming from the US, will have to be tested upon arrival and isolate until results are in.
Is there any more information on this? (My googling has not yielded anything.)

Isolate where, at home or in an overpriced government-mandated hotel? And why "all except the US"? This sounds like more dumb politically-motivated rules with little scientific justification.
Crampedin13A and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is there any more information on this? (My googling has not yielded anything.)

Isolate where, at home or in an overpriced government-mandated hotel? And why "all except the US"? This sounds like more dumb politically-motivated rules with little scientific justification.
The stories are being written right now. Here's CP24.
The Federal government is re-imposing a COVID-19 testing requirement for all travellers entering Canada, other than those coming from the United States, in the wake of new concerns over the omicron variant.

“We are announcing today that all air travellers coming from outside Canada, apart from the United States will now need to be tested at the airport in which they are landing in Canada, whether they are vaccinated or unvaccinated. They will then need to isolate themselves until they get the result of their test,” Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said Tuesday.
I am assuming, since they spoke about quarantine locations for other situations, that when they speak of isolating they mean simply that you need to head home and stay there until you receive a result.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The stories are being written right now. Here's CP24.

I am assuming, since they spoke about quarantine locations for other situations, that when they speak of isolating they mean simply that you need to head home and stay there until you receive a result.
What if you are a Cdn citizen residing outside Canada? Where do you isolate?
jackmaninov likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.