Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by beepyou
(Not arguing about the rule) I'm interested to know why only US gets an exception?
Airports cannot handle the volumes which have picked up considerably over the past few months.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
Would we be allowed to take the arrival test with a Switchhealth Lamp test kit purchased in advance? It is molecular, performed by Switchhealth. That way, the result come in 45 mins, no 3 days wait!
No. Travellers will either be tested on site or be provided with an at-home test. You cannot use your own.
M.Wilson likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:06 pm

If given an at home test, how long do you have to complete it? 24 hours from the time you arrive?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
If given an at home test, how long do you have to complete it? 24 hours from the time you arrive?
They told me 24 hours. But I still have 3 blue boxes sitting on my counter from random tests this past summer and surprisingly no one has called me. CBSA and PHAC are separate agencies and there are many privacy considerations that block them from collaborating or sharing information about travellers. Once a Cdn citizen is admitted into Canada CBSA no longer has any jurisdiction over you.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 4, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You are always excused from quarantine for a bona fide medical need. One person I know had a baby. Another I know ran out of insulin. They reported this to PHAC and had no issues.
Sorry - I mis-spoke. No exceptions other than exceptional need - i.e. medical emergency etc.

Getting a PCR test AFTER already getting a positive PCR won't count. Even getting Insulin wouldn't really count - come hell or high water, they'd work out a way to deliver
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus81
Agree it's messy. Perhaps you can get some kind of home pcr test that you can get a report from? Or wait till your quarantine ends and go get tested again (if you continue to test positive, and it doesn't lead to you being quarantined again).
So, it looks like my NHS report shows everything other than a specific lab location. It just says Test performed by NHS England (or something to that effect). I;m struggling to get any sort of definitive answer anywhere on this. None of the fit to fly test centres I can find can tell me if I get any sort of certificate for a positive test - it;s as if they've never been asked the question before.

Asking my TA next in the hope that have a clue, or at least have contact that they can ask
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:19 pm

Am travelling CAI-FRA-YUL-YOW this week. I have figured out the logistics of getting the PCR in FRA but I am interested to understand if I need to isolate in YUL at a quarantine facility while awaiting the results of the arrival test? Common sense would dictate yes but then nothing much about these kinds of decisions is common sense.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Timbit
but I am interested to understand if I need to isolate in YUL at a quarantine facility while awaiting the results of the arrival test? Common sense would dictate yes but then nothing much about these kinds of decisions is common sense.
From watching CTV news it was my impression that quarantine could be done at home.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:12 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Timbit
Am travelling CAI-FRA-YUL-YOW this week. I have figured out the logistics of getting the PCR in FRA but I am interested to understand if I need to isolate in YUL at a quarantine facility while awaiting the results of the arrival test? Common sense would dictate yes but then nothing much about these kinds of decisions is common sense.
Go to this page and scroll down. There you'll find this: "Those arriving by air [who have been in those restricted countries in the past 14 days] will be required to stay in a designated quarantine facility while they await their arrival test result. They will be permitted onward travel once they have received a negative arrival test result." So I would count on spending a couple of days at a hotel in YUL.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:37 am

Avoiding long arrival isolation via private rapid PCR testing?

Does anyone know if this will be possible? There's a private rush PCR location near my home...
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by EmailKid
From watching CTV news it was my impression that quarantine could be done at home.
Yes but not if you spent time in the banned countries over the last 14 days. Egypt is one of them.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Arrived into YVR last night and was randomly selected for testing, but wasn't mandated for everyone yet.

Was asked about travel history so that may have triggered it.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Does anyone know if this will be possible? There's a private rush PCR location near my home...
The unofficial word so far is that this will not be possible. One person mentioned it will become an option on the fourth day if a test result has not yet been returned. But we are all still waiting for official documents from the government. They should be posted here soon.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF, EK
I arrived into YYZ on 4 December (around 20:30) from SFO, original departure point was Australia.

Upon arrival into YYZ, only connecting pax were let off the plane due to covid restrictions in the custom hall. The rest of us were let off 50 at a time every 5 or so minutes.

The customs hall was an absolute chaotic zoo. My guess was 10+ international flights had just landed and there were easily 1500 people in the customs hall. it took ages to get to the self serve kiosk and then stand in second line to hand in the print out, present ArriveCAN app QR code and passport to the border agent. I was given a green sticker on the front of my passport and cleared to go through.

Due to delays, the baggage carousel for my flight was stopped, some bags were still on the belt others off loaded my local handlers. I picked up my bags and proceeded to the exit. At the exit point I handed in my print out from the self serve kiosk.

Then at the exit door to the main terminal there was another line and confusion causing a large bottle neck. All travellers were asked to present their passports and sticker- a sign noting covid testing to the right for those who were randomly selected, by the border agent with a red sticker (perhaps other methods as well?) The passport requirement should have been advised earlier as many non English speakers were very slow in following instructions.

The whole process was about 90 mins from exiting the plane - for the country’s biggest airport I think they are completely missing the mark. Covid-19 testing every single passenger from an international flight would be impossible with the current set up and logistics. Good idea in theory by the federal government but no planning or support to the airport staff, border control and local health teams.

I’m in, and after 3 long years have been able to see
my family again. The airport disorganisation just made a long day more tiring.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:34 am

So the border agent was selecting who is going to be tested and it was not an "everybody tests" kind of rule? Do you think you were lucky as you connected in the states?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.