Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Wouldn't the driver then have to quarantine? Need more details, was he a dual US/CAN citizen. A much nicer way to return home.
Probably an "essential worker"...
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Probably an "essential worker"...
See my edit above. Limo driver is an essential worker.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
See my edit above. Limo driver is an essential worker.

Nice! Honestly I would prefer to be driven home to quarantine, than to a hotel. Nothing to do with the $$$, more to do with the PITA of changing accom so may times.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Many of these "approved" hotels are available for booking (at much lower prices) on sites like Expedia. What happens if someone books their stay through an OTA or directly with the hotel company website?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Many of these "approved" hotels are available for booking (at much lower prices) on sites like Expedia. What happens if someone books their stay through an OTA or directly with the hotel company website?
In theory the CBSA agent could say the reservation is not valid and direct you to PHAC to re-book with the proper prison rate. You may also get a fine.
In real life, nobody knows what would happen.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:00 am

In theory the CBSA agent could say the reservation is not valid and direct you to PHAC to re-book with the proper prison rate. You may also get a fine.
In real life, nobody knows what would happen.
I would explain that I tried in good faith for 8+ hours on the phone and kept getting hung up on.
Bogwoppit, The Lev and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Challenge is that the border agents have a wide discretion to make decisions unless and except if they have been instructed to show no flexibility. That will manifest itself as FT members post anecdotal experiences.

For interest, today Israel is implementing a pilot program of electronic bracelets and state provided mobile phones that a returning citizen is given when returning to their own homes. Israel had been paying for its on again off again hotel program as opposed to having passengers pay. Politics plays far too great a role in decision making in Israel and while privacy issues are raised, if one is supposed to stay home after landing, does one really care if the braclet is on during their isolation? I would not care for one. FYI. Perhaps the Canadian government will consider this simpler approach (subject to charter issues) that is more logical and less expensive and easier to monitor and fairer to citizens.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by testycal
Challenge is that the border agents have a wide discretion to make decisions unless and except if they have been instructed to show no flexibility. That will manifest itself as FT members post anecdotal experiences.

For interest, today Israel is implementing a pilot program of electronic bracelets and state provided mobile phones that a returning citizen is given when returning to their own homes. Israel had been paying for its on again off again hotel program as opposed to having passengers pay. Politics plays far too great a role in decision making in Israel and while privacy issues are raised, if one is supposed to stay home after landing, does one really care if the braclet is on during their isolation? I would not care for one. FYI. Perhaps the Canadian government will consider this simpler approach (subject to charter issues) that is more logical and less expensive and easier to monitor and fairer to citizens.
"More logical and less expensive" would mean that this administration is actually trying to solve a problem. I think its clear instead that the purpose of the hotel quarantine is travel deterrence, not covid mitigation.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
A snowbird friend and his wife changed their flight home yesterday from Florida to BUF instead of YYZ. Hired a flat rate driver for $300 CDN to pick them up at BUF and drive them directly home in GTA. Showed border guard their -ve covid tests, guard gave them a takehome test (guard said he wasn’t allowed to administer it on the spot) and they were on their way in less than a minute. No $2,000+ prison at YYZ. He said it was such a joke. Driver works for a limo company and does this now all day long. He is considered to be an essential worker. The word is getting out among the snowbirds and everyone is flying to BUF now. What a joke!!!
Inspired by sydneyracquelle, I called a few service providers out of Buffalo Airport. Only got one definite "yes," from CanLimo. Rates are $279 to downtown Toronto, or $179 to Niagara Falls, Ontario side. Car is luxury sedan Lincoln/Cadillac/Lexus.

IMHO, this is on-topic of this thread because its a viable alternative to hotel prison.

FYI, JetBlue has some dangerously low fares to Buffalo (under $50 from Florida).
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Inspired by sydneyracquelle, I called a few service providers out of Buffalo Airport. Only got one definite "yes," from CanLimo. Rates are $279 to downtown Toronto, or $179 to Niagara Falls, Ontario side. Car is luxury sedan Lincoln/Cadillac/Lexus.

IMHO, this is on-topic of this thread because its a viable alternative to hotel prison.

FYI, JetBlue has some dangerously low fares to Buffalo (under $50 from Florida).
And taxes in the U.S. on flights are only $5.60 one way. You can also use
Aeroplan miles on United flights from Florida to Buffalo with one connection.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
"More logical and less expensive" would mean that this administration is actually trying to solve a problem. I think its clear instead that the purpose of the hotel quarantine is travel deterrence, not covid mitigation.
Anyone knows if as a Canadian citizen you can fly from Germany to Buffalo, US so you can cross the land border and avoid the extortion fee? Or is US closed to all Euro flights unless one is a US citizen/PR? (similar to Canada basically where only CA citizens/PR can fly here)

Basically what you said. This was done purely to screw over travelers, even though I am sure more than 50% of travelers don't go to sunny destinations, but actually travel for important personal reasons such as seeing family, attending funerals or taking care of parents/grandparents/sick members overseas.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Messerschmitt; Feb 24, 2021 at 11:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Messerschmitt
Anyone knows if as a Canadian citizen you can fly from Germany to Buffalo, US so you can cross the land border and avoid the extortion fee? Or is US closed to all Euro flights unless one is a US citizen/PR? (similar to Canada basically where only CA citizens/PR can fly here)

Basically what you said. This was done purely to screw over travelers, even though I am sure more than 50% of travelers don't go to sunny destinations, but actually travel for important personal reasons such as seeing family, attending funerals or taking care of parents/grandparents/sick members overseas.
You need to check if you can enter USA AND also not sure if the rule is enforced but -ve covid test must be from USA and not from overseas if crossing by land. Not sure.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Messerschmitt

No, you cannot enter the US if you have been in Germany (or any EU countries, UK, Iran, China or Brazil) during the last 14 days, except if you are an American citizen or green card holder, unfortunately.
The travel to Buffalo and cross the land border trick works if you are in the US or if you fly from Mexico, South America (except Brazil), Asia (except China) or the Caribbeans but not Europe.
Maybe this will change before Canada remove his hotel quarantine program, since the US will be vaccinated before.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:30 am

No, you cannot enter the US if you have been in Germany (or any EU countries, UK, Iran, China or Brazil) during the last 14 days, except if you are an American citizen or green card holder, unfortunately.
The travel to Buffalo and cross the land border trick works if you are in the US or if you fly from Mexico, South America (except Brazil), Asia (except China) or the Caribbeans but not Europe.
Maybe this will change before Canada remove his hotel quarantine program, since the US will be vaccinated before.
Added that -ve covid test upon entry by land to Canada must be from USA. Not sure how much this is enforced but in theory you need to first enter USA, then take covid test in USA then drive to Canada.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I was reading something that said the hotels that are part of the government program can also be open for business for "regular" customers but the Penalty Box customers need to be on separate floors with dedicated elevators. That suggests a DIY reservation may be problematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.