Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Some travellers might have to ultimately fly to Buffalo/Detroit/Seattle etc. and rent a car to get home as negative covid test requirement doesn’t apply at land borders.
If GoC goal is to reduce transmission, then such bypass efforts simply increase risk as the number of journey touch-points along the way goes up.

Plus, this also means diverting revenues from already be-leaguered Canadian operators who will likely be carrying a lot of this traffic home to competing U.S. / foreign carriers.

I expect internal polling is telling the government that looking tough on the border outweighs the practical effectiveness of this half-baked policy...but what is new?

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 31, 2020 at 6:08 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:18 pm
Suspended

thanks for the update.

"demonstrate to who"?

So does an airline check-in agent simply take the word of the passenger?

Will Foreign Affairs have a registration link for traveler to provide such documentation in advance?

I could go on, but proving a negative!

hhhmmm....I have been involved in Canadian border control policy a long time, but never heard of this one.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 6:19 pm Reason: correct documentation
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Just a question- because I sincerely do not know the answer. Is there any other jurisdiction in the world that requires both a negative PCR test and and a 14 day quarantine for arrival?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Fiordland
In the day and age of FedEx a test is always available. Take the cruise ships that are docked offshore in the Caribbean waiting for cruise ships to be safe for travelers again. The crew are regularly tested. They run a tender into the nearest port and hand the sample off to an airline to fly out to Miami or where ever.

Air Canada, Sungwind, WestJet and AirTransat all understand how to move express cargo around on passenger airlines. They have contracts in place at all of these airports. If they wanted to they could organize someone to collect samples and put the samples on a flight to a nearby city with testing capability. The issue is will they go out of their way to organize it. How much will they want to charge their passengers for the service.
I could see this happening with tour operators like ACV, Transat and Westjet Vacations where they have dozens/hundreds of guests staying at the same small number of resort hotels and could organize a nurse to come and do mass swabs three days before departure and take them all to a lab. Different story when you are talking "normal" AC flights where passengers have made their own land arrangements.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:59 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dinotoon
Just a question- because I sincerely do not know the answer. Is there any other jurisdiction in the world that requires both a negative PCR test and and a 14 day quarantine for arrival?
There's a thread in UA forum about testing requirements. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...jamaica-4.html

Pre-departure PCR testing is a common requirement in many countries now.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...SA_detail.html

Here's another link, looks like Testing (either pre-departure or on arrival + quarantine) is common in many countries.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The US has already imposed this testing requirement for travelers coming from the UK. Given we should see a new administration in the US that wants to take a more active role against COVID, I would not be surprised to see similar rules being imposed on entry to the US.
Maybe PMO has gotten a heads up from the incoming Biden folks, and the American plans are motivating the rushed rollout? Otherwise, there are infinitely better implementations they could have chosen.

It's not as if they're serious about preventing COVID importation, or they would have instituted this before the holidays.
Crampedin13A and skybluesea like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
So how is a Canadian who was traveling in Mexico for instance to get tested 72 hours before return. Go to a Mexican hospital??
What an inane policy. Returning citizens should get tested and if necessary go into quarantine on arrival.
I think that's the point, they want people to think it would be too much trouble / impossible and to stop taking discretionary trips. I know that the audience here is likely far more pro-travel right now (particularly those who continue to participate in the forum while things have been effectively shut down 9 months), however a lot of the general population and the governments of Ontario/Quebec at least really want flights stopped or at least those that are seen to be for leisure. We'll see in a few weeks if it works.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
I could see this happening with tour operators like ACV, Transat and Westjet Vacations where they have dozens/hundreds of guests staying at the same small number of resort hotels and could organize a nurse to come and do mass swabs three days before departure and take them all to a lab.
Sorry but I can't as not only is it just another expense tour companies would be incurring on top of others like free COVID insurance it's fraught with pitfalls for delays or testing troubles well beyond their control.

This step is an industry killer that will achieve its goal of preventing Canadians from travelling abroad while accomplishing very little in terms of actually preventing importation of the virus. Just MHO as a member.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but I can't as not only is it just another expense tour companies would be incurring on top of others like free COVID insurance it's fraught with pitfalls for delays or testing troubles well beyond their control.

This step is an industry killer that will achieve its goal of preventing Canadians from travelling abroad while accomplishing very little in terms of actually preventing importation of the virus. Just MHO as a member.
That seems to be the goal to stop Canadians going abroad but still allowing a million to immigrate through all sorts of loopholes like student visas, family reunifications etc. Getting into Canada is still so easy for non residents but leaving the country through lack of reasonable travel medical insurance and now these negative PCR tests (which in many areas of the world counterfeits can be obtained) requirements it is getting harder for the actual citizens to leave the country. The federal government's agenda is puzzling with their refusal to have arrivals testing and an absolute joke of an honours system quarantine
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond

My thoughts EXACTLY!
skybluesea and zrh2yvr like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
They still haven’t addressed transit situations

It also seems like the only real exemptions from the testing requirement are crew and emergency services workers. So there will be a category of people that are exempt from quarantine but not testing?
skybluesea and tecate55 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by D582
They still haven’t addressed transit situations

It also seems like the only real exemptions from the testing requirement are crew and emergency services workers. So there will be a category of people that are exempt from quarantine but not testing?
It's early. Within a couple of weeks most people other than Canadians going for a vacation will be exempt. It's all just fluff for the media now
skybluesea and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
It's early. Within a couple of weeks most people other than Canadians going for a vacation will be exempt. It's all just fluff for the media now
Travellers might start returning home via land borders to bypass covid tests.
skybluesea and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Agree, easier for government to implement ineffective policy rather than stand up and be politically accountable for an outright non-essential travel ban.

Also agree will cause collapse of traffic that facilitates the next obvious step i.e. political justification to advance funds to domestic airlines.

ps...given my personnel circumstances, eligible for vaccine in January, so booked flight in April to Rome. Anticipating potential disruption ticketed in refundable Y so with this PCR requirement may very well be death knell for my first international trip in 13 months. Still possible, so cross my fingers I can get my friends in Rome to find me reliable place to get test done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.