Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

As reported by Richard Zussman, GlobalBC reporter.
Travelers will still have to quarantine for 14 days.

Begins January 7th. Details:
  • The 72 hours is calculated based on boarding time.
  • Only those over the age of 5 will be required to obtain a negative PCR test.
  • Passengers will have to arrange the tests themselves and pay out of their own pocket.
  • Negative test results must be presented to the airline prior to boarding flight to Canada.
  • If passengers cannot obtain a test, they will have to successfully demonstrate there was no facility where they could get a test abroad, or they will be denied boarding.
  • Those who are allowed to to board the flights without a test will have to quarantine for 14 days at a federally-approved facility once they reached their arrival destination.
My blog posts on it:
https://economiles.com/canadas-new-negative-pcr-test-requirement-starts-january-7
https://economiles.com/breaking-cana...-before-entry/

Source:
Bogwoppit likes this.

Last edited by kevflyer; Dec 31, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Looks like the government of Canada is going to require a negative covid test, taken less than 3 days before boarding, to anyone traveling to Canada.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Looks like the government of Canada is going to require a negative covid test, taken less than 3 days before boarding, to anyone traveling to Canada.
This will be some wake-up call go the crowds of people who flocked from YYZ to Sun destinations on boxing day. Can't imagine getting an accepted negative Covid test 3 days before leaving Mexico or an Island.

​​​​​​
Admiral Ackbar and skybluesea like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 30, 2020 at 4:00 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:57 am

The Canadian government will deny entry to it's own citizens? I didn't think that was allowed.
Or is the onus being put on the airline, therefore it's denied boarding rather than denied entry?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:58 am

What if I go from YYZ to LGA for a daytrip business meeting? Do I get the covid test in Canada or NY??
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Originally Posted by tracon
The Canadian government will deny entry to it's own citizens? I didn't think that was allowed.
Or is the onus being put on the airline, therefore it's denied boarding rather than denied entry?
Also curious on how this is going to be implemented... How quickly will this go into effect? I suspect it would be in or around Jan 21, when the OIC's are updated?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Negative PCR test and a 14 day quarantine. LOL. What a bunch of morons.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/negative-pcr-covid-test-air-passengers-1.5857626
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by SFO777
Negative PCR test and a 14 day quarantine. LOL. What a bunch of morons.
81% of incoming travellers are exempt from the quarantine according to the CBSA anyway and the other 19% just completely ignore. I'm sure there will be exemptions on the PCR test for practically everybody by the time this gets rolled out
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:19 pm

Soooo what happens if I drive back home to Canada with no test. They cannot turn me around back to USA as I am not allowed to enter USA by land. So now I live on the bridge??? What about snowbirds returning home who take more than 72 hours to drive back. What happens to them?
LETTERBOY, Yul_voyager and gei like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 30, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Soooo what happens if I drive back home to Canada with no test. They cannot turn me around back to USA as I am not allowed to enter USA by land. So now I live on the bridge??? What about sonwbirds returning home who take more than 72 hours to drive back. What happens to them?
You ask too many questions. I'm sure the bureaucrats have thought this through completely.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If this is going to be required of Canadian citizens... yikes... And yikes for AC.

if it's going to be required of transit pax like AMS, AC may as well close down shop on intl routes.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If this is going to be required of Canadian citizens... yikes... And yikes for AC.

if it's going to be required of transit pax like AMS, AC may as well close down shop on intl routes.
Which it seems is the point according to what was said at the news conference. They don't want people traveling and they want to add another layer of hurt for those who do travel for discretionary reasons and an added layer of detection for those who do need to. Of course the OIC will have the real details when we see it.

Last edited by YZF_Elite; Dec 30, 2020 at 12:38 pm Reason: typos
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:45 pm

Per CBC article it only applies to air entries...probably because they cannot turn you around to reenter USA.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Per CBC article it only applies to air entries...probably because they cannot turn you around to reenter USA.
Why can't they turn you around? They do that all the time with people denied entry into Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.