Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:27 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There were 7 million people who entered Canada since the pandemic started according to the CBC. 2.5 million were truckers, people I have no problem with exemptiong.
There were a further 3+ million exempt for various reasons - this is where the rules need to change.

This is done so that the government can look good - there is no practical point to putting this requirement in - it doesnt prevent anything when we still exempt hundreds of thousands of non-essential people from any rules
It can be both, government doing it for optics and it will prevent people from taking that leisure trip abroad. Let's see the details once it is released, and whether there are exemptions to the testing requirement.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by m.y
It can be both, government doing it for optics and it will prevent people from taking that leisure trip abroad.
Exactly the point - preventing a few people from going on vacations abroad, while exempting and letting in hundreds of thousands of people who can get their boss declares them "essential" to their business, is pointless. You are putting a plug in one little hole, which leaving the floodgates open.

Originally Posted by tcook052
And presumably no plans for how long this requirement will be in place. Indefinitely? Until case counts start to drop permanently in Summer when enough Canadians are vaccinated and the advisory against non-essential travel possibly rescinded? Too many unanswered questions.
Exactly. My bet would be this will never get removed.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I still don’t know what happens on my frequent business day trips YYZ>LGA>YYZ. No time in NYC to run around for a test so I guess I just do one in YYZ before I leave?
Out of curiosity, do you receive essential worker exemptions for your travels? No word yet whether or not this even applies to those deemed essential, despite many of the news reports saying it applies to everyone. It seems this is targeting anyone traveling for non-essential reasons to further discourage them from taking trips.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:35 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly the point - preventing a few people from going on vacations abroad, while exempting and letting in hundreds of thousands of people who can get their boss declares them "essential" to their business, is pointless. You are putting a plug in one little hole, which leaving the floodgates open.

Exactly. My bet would be this will never get removed.
Closing one hole while leaving the other open is still better than leaving both open. It's not like there will be significantly more "essential" travelers to Cancun or Miami if we close this loop hole. I agree with you that there are too many "essential" travelers out there, and I hope the testing requirement covers everyone except for very very limited cases.

Last edited by m.y; Dec 30, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Folks, mod. hat on/

Let's try and steer away from what has been a very thorny issue in this forum in recent weeks which is the whole matter of who is or isn't an essential worker and why as it's enough to bring up the term as it relates to this pending federal entry requirement without getting into the much wider topic and/or debating at length individuals particular situations.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator

Mod. hat off/
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:23 pm

[size=13px]My take is don't worry about getting a test for your flight home.

If you get a test before your flight home, you're out of pocket a bunch of $$$ and you quarantine 14 days.
If you don't get a test, you save some $$$ and you quarantine 14 days.
Is one's principle residence considered a federally approved quarantine site?
Regardless of wether you have a test or where you quarantine, a passenger still has to quarantine for 14 days.
With the exception of Alberta.

"Travellers who are unable to procure tests before their flights home won't be stranded abroad, LeBlanc said. Immediately upon their return to Canada, he said, those passengers will be required to isolate at federally-approved sites until they obtain negative test results and meet other quarantine commitments."[/size]
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon

"Travellers who are unable to procure tests before their flights home won't be stranded abroad, LeBlanc said. Immediately upon their return to Canada, he said, those passengers will be required to isolate at federally-approved sites until they obtain negative test results and meet other quarantine commitments."[/size]
Or, you'll be shuttled directly to the Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, where you'll spend 3 nights waiting for your test result at the low, low, government-procured rate of $129/nt. plus HST.

We can all speculate, but they've said details will be a few days coming.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
- further details will be released tomorrow
Ready! Fire! Aim!

For god's sake, how hard is it to come up with the policy before announcing the bloody thing?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said

"people now vacationing in places like Florida or the Caribbean should be trying to find somewhere to get tested before preparing for their return."

​​​​​
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:01 pm

I wonder if Bill has thought about kettling returning pax?
tecate55 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Canadians are not allowed to enter USA by land only by air.
You can walk across. At least, at Niagara you can…
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Looks like the government of Canada is going to require a negative covid test, taken less than 3 days before boarding, to anyone traveling to Canada.
More precisely, the announcements say 3 days before *arriving*. For travel from distant stations, such as SYD-YYZ via DOH (or even SYD-YVR on AC 34 as and when it is restored), that could be seriously problematic. Just getting the results within 72 hours can difficult in many places.

(I'll shortly be flying MEL-DXB-YYZ on EK, 35 hours in total, leaving me 37 hours to do the test and get the results.)
LETTERBOY, zrh2yvr and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

[QUOTE=kevflyer;32924137]As reported by Richard Zussman, GlobalBC reporter.
Travelers will still have to quarantine for 14 days.
Currently unclear when this starts.

I don't understand the thread title

Is that a minimum or maximum or fixed time requirement?

This whole risk management subject is way too confusing and made up on the fly

Even now we are going to add yet another complicated subject by introducing a what-if hail-mary fix by virtue of a two step vaccine which may or may not protect persons, again within a an unproven time frame.

This convince me that the issue is manufactured to suit the news du jour to calm the ignorant public and make themselves look good by doing something.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by tracon

If you get a test before your flight home, you're out of pocket a bunch of $$$ and you quarantine 14 days.
If you don't get a test, you save some $$$ and you quarantine 14 days.
Is one's principle residence considered a federally approved quarantine site?
Regardless of wether you have a test or where you quarantine, a passenger still has to quarantine for 14 days.
With the exception of Alberta.

I can tell you from my frequent travels you won’t get on the plane to Canada without a negative covid test as the airlines are worried about fines and having to return you to your origin at their expense. Yes they have to let you in but you have to get to Canada first.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 31, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Ready! Fire! Aim!

For god's sake, how hard is it to come up with the policy before announcing the bloody thing?
For something like this, I'm glad to have as much warning as possible. I've got a team of people working an unspecified large sporting event in a few weeks, and I now need to find a company that can meet them at their hotel for rapid testing so they can fly home when the job's done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.