Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by skybluesea
This revised statement makes NO sense.

Does this mean airlines will have NO obligation to check whether PCR test has been procured?

On what basis will airlines be permitted to board passengers to Canada otherwise.

NO wonder GoC needs more time to produce the Order-In-Council as the airlines will be scratching their heads on what to do here.
Sounds like that is what it means. If you have the negative test result then you can go home and self isolate for 14 days. If you don't you get to stay at a hotel of the governments choosing (lets hope they have good taste in hotels), for a few days until can be tested and your results come back.

That actually sounds reasonable. Does it not?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
So how is a Canadian who was traveling in Mexico for instance to get tested 72 hours before return. Go to a Mexican hospital??
What an inane policy. Returning citizens should get tested and if necessary go into quarantine on arrival.
Tested at port of entry or final destination?? If someone flies from Mexico to Toronto to Vancouver how would this work? Since March all travellers have been allowed to connect to their final destination to quarantine while putting everyone on the connecting flight unknowingly at risk.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Sounds like that is what it means. If you have the negative test result then you can go home and self isolate for 14 days. If you don't you get to stay at a hotel of the governments choosing (lets hope they have good taste in hotels), for a few days until can be tested and your results come back.

That actually sounds reasonable. Does it not?
My question is what do airlines do at check-in if passenger has NOT done PCR test?

Little point of this announcement if nothing changes before departure.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:56 pm

Does anyone else see a lucrative black market coming for fraudulent/counterfeit negative test results?
skybluesea and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Tested at port of entry or final destination?? If someone flies from Mexico to Toronto to Vancouver how would this work? Since March all travellers have been allowed to connect to their final destination to quarantine while putting everyone on the connecting flight unknowingly at risk.
And what about the covid negative international travelers being put at risk by the unknown positive domestic travellers?

(reading between the lines, the majority of covid positive passengers on domestic flights were not international arrivals)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. Seems that most people agree with and want this. Besides, if one really wants to forge a lab report, it is not hard to do oneself. But, doesn't appear that it's happening.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Does anyone else see a lucrative black market coming for fraudulent/counterfeit negative test results?
under the FT C-19 General Forum plenty of discussion on fraudulent records.

Your right though that without some verifiable record keeping that CBSA can double-check all this is political spin.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My question is what do airlines do at check-in if passenger has NOT done PCR test?

No reason Canada will be different than any other border. If one does not meet the entry criteria, one is denied boarding.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

The purpose of the announcement was to give travelers a heads up that new rules are coming and you should plan on getting a test before you return to Canada. I think it accomplished that.

The fact it raised more questions than it answered and did not address what airlines are to do is problematic and shows the feds are flying by the seats of their pants. Good thing they are not responsible for something important like public health or airline safety. Oh, wait let me take that back. Good thing the people responsible for planning and analysis will be back from the holidays on Monday.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Seems that most people agree with and want this.
“Agree and want” are pipe-dreams without effective implementation!

My questions all relate to what do airlines do at port of departure to comply with announcement. Allowing returning Canadians to board without PCR makes all this mute.

I just watched the LeBlanc interview and incredible that the Minister who’s only job is to manage relations with the Provinces made this announcement, rather than Transport, Health or Public Safety?

In a word “sad”
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
No reason Canada will be different than any other border. If one does not meet the entry criteria, one is denied boarding.
the post by the Moderator says exactly the opposite - returning Canadians will not be prevented from doing so.

My question is how?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Is the wording "before arriving" or is it "before departure"?
Some of the media have said "departure". But in the video of the government's announcement, Mr LeBlanc quite explicitly said "arrival".

(The reliability of journalists to get the details right can be judged by today's Toronto Star, which morphed the requirement into "at least 72 hours before departure" instead of "no more than 72 hours before" arrival / departure / service of Monty's Bakehouse / whatever.)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature
Some of the media have said "departure". But in the video of the government's announcement, Mr LeBlanc quite explicitly said "arrival".
Fair enough, and what happens with IRROPS when traveler originally scheduled to arrive within 72 hour window.

Plenty to parse when Ministers get ahead of their officials on what is practical and doable in the time frame for implementation, which may be as little as a week.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The purpose of the announcement was to give travelers a heads up that new rules are coming and you should plan on getting a test before you return to Canada. I think it accomplished that.
With school out, many families were thinking of an early January vacation. This should be sufficient enough to scare the all inclusive crowd.

Obviously anyone with half a brain realizes this is a pointless measure that for many reasons will not actually affect case counts in Canada in any meaningful way. Most people don't know 80% will still be exempt, so it looks like wow the govt is so smart and is protecting us!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:54 pm

I'm still waiting to see how far the mask will fall. Can't believe that anyone is still taking these clowns seriously, except that they still have so much power over our lives!

I just lived through Turkey's implementation of a PCR requirement that was rolled out so poorly that they had to delay it 72 hours after announcing it. I'm excited to see the next level of foot-in-mouth.
Crampedin13A and LETTERBOY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.