Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:51 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just north of LAX is Venice Beach, a very unique place to spend an hour or two walking up and down the "boardwalk" and watching the very eclectic world roll by. A little further south is Santa Monica, another great stroll.
Can't wait! Santa Monica we will save for the end of our roadtrip since that is where we will spend our last night, after desert, canyons and Vegas.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:54 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LAXative
Take a restroom break at the Madonna Inn in SLO to check out their urinal.... don't Google it, it will ruin the surprise.

Hearst Castle, without a doubt. I would go as far as making reservations to make sure you get the time slot that fits your timeline.

If you want to take a slight detour onto the 101 near LA, visit Camarillo Premium Outlets to scratch your shopping itch (though I think Cabazon in Palm Springs is better).

I hope you're getting a convertible!
Having a hard time not googling. Is the female washroom equally "interesting" or is this just something for my husband and son?

We have seen loads of castles in Europe. Is this one so unique that we should spend time there taking that into consideration (someone else said not to stop since it would take lots of time).

Shopping sounds interesting, but I think we might save that for Palm Springs as we have more time there.

We have not rented a convertible since it might be too cold around SF at the time of year we are there (July) and too hot in the desert plus we want sufficient space for luggage and three persons for three weeks.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I guess we should ask what time of year you will be making this trip. It might impact some of the suggestions.
Trip is July/August. As far as I understand, weather will vary considerable between pretty cold in SF/Carmel and extremely hot in Scottsdale/Sedona, Gran Canyon/Vegas. Will have a hard time packing, I guess.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Musken
Trip is July/August. As far as I understand, weather will vary considerable between pretty cold in SF/Carmel and extremely hot in Scottsdale/Sedona, Gran Canyon/Vegas. Will have a hard time packing, I guess.
Actually, temperatures in the Bay Area have been in the 80s F this week. In July, it could be quite warm for the drive down the Central Coast south of Big Sur. If coastal fog rolls in, you are right that it could be chilly but if the sun is out it will vary from pleasant to very warm.

During that time frame I would definitely recommend NOT renting a convertible. In the height of summer, sun and wind burn can be brutal, especially driving for hours across the desert and along the central coast.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
Having a hard time not googling. Is the female washroom equally "interesting" or is this just something for my husband and son?

We have seen loads of castles in Europe. Is this one so unique that we should spend time there taking that into consideration (someone else said not to stop since it would take lots of time).

Shopping sounds interesting, but I think we might save that for Palm Springs as we have more time there.

We have not rented a convertible since it might be too cold around SF at the time of year we are there (July) and too hot in the desert plus we want sufficient space for luggage and three persons for three weeks.
Your husband and especially your son will get a kick out of it. The women's room apparently was in the running for "best restroom in America"

Hearst Castle isn't exactly a castle, it's just a HUGE mansion/estate on a big plot of land... with animals roaming free... and an airstrip... I think it's worth a stop to take the main tour (they offer several) and walk around. Allocating 2-3 hours should be enough for "just a taste."

Convertible definitely won't work for 3 people + luggage. Perhaps then a small or mid-size SUV, so that you have some height above the road to see things more easily. Look for a sunroof too! (I quite enjoyed the Ford Flex with the panoramic sunroof)
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Also as an FYI so you and/or the locals don't get confused in discussion, we refer to California Highway 1 as simply "PCH" (Pacific Coast Highway)
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:10 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Also as an FYI so you and/or the locals don't get confused in discussion, we refer to California Highway 1 as simply "PCH" (Pacific Coast Highway)
Oh, thanks. Definitely good to know.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:35 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

One more question today: If we want to make a stop between Santa Barbara and LA to have brunch or lunch, where would you recommend. I was thinking of a Malibu beach club kind of place (if there is something like that). Any ideas?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Neptunes Net at the county line with Ventura County.
http://neptunesnet.com/

Personally I'd wait to get further South to the Pepperdine area. Lots of choices around the Malibu Civic center if you have peoplem with disparate tastes.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Only in southern California. Around Big Sur and north, it is indeed referred to as Highway 1. No one I know up here calls it PCH.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love Hearst castle, not because it is a good example of a castle (it isn't) but because of what it says about its late owner. The guides like to call Hearst's taste "eclectic," but that term used this way it is mainly a synonym for "awful." No architectural unity to the contents, incredibly valuable stuff and crap both displayed equally expansively, marvelous stories about how Hearst ran the place, etc. Well worth a tour IMO, if the one recommended for first time visitors has too long a wait, take whatever is available, you'll still get the idea.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:06 am

We did this trip in a similar time scale as you last month, and stopped at Ragged Point Inn for a night between Big Sur and Santa Barbara. I'd recommend, the food was good and the views were spectacular. Don't try the trail down to the beach though, we had to give up half way and we are pretty fit.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:39 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Only in southern California. Around Big Sur and north, it is indeed referred to as Highway 1. No one I know up here calls it PCH.
Noted! Thanks for clarifying
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:44 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I love Hearst castle, not because it is a good example of a castle (it isn't) but because of what it says about its late owner. The guides like to call Hearst's taste "eclectic," but that term used this way it is mainly a synonym for "awful." No architectural unity to the contents, incredibly valuable stuff and crap both displayed equally expansively, marvelous stories about how Hearst ran the place, etc. Well worth a tour IMO, if the one recommended for first time visitors has too long a wait, take whatever is available, you'll still get the idea.
It does sound like a must go, but no matter which tour we go on, it will take several hours of a day where the driving time alone is over 5 hours (if no traffic jam and no stops, and there are so many things to do and see. I am afraid we will need to save it for another time.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:45 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Scotkat
We did this trip in a similar time scale as you last month, and stopped at Ragged Point Inn for a night between Big Sur and Santa Barbara. I'd recommend, the food was good and the views were spectacular. Don't try the trail down to the beach though, we had to give up half way and we are pretty fit.
Thanks. Our overnight stops in Carmel and Santa Barbara are booked so we will stick to them. How many hours did you drive? Traffic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.