Wiki Posts
Search

Budget gas scam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:24 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLDividends
I understand what you're saying, and I like the economic analysis. But the real issue for me is not so much the extra $9.50 (I can afford the extra 10 bucks - and many people on this board probably can too) -- it's the apparent culture of attempting to profit by deceiving unsuspecting customers. Why should I do business with a company that thousands of times a day tacks an extra fee, often undisclosed, onto people's bills, and then makes it incredibly hard for them to have the charge taken off? I find it offensive, quite honestly.

Suppose that you go to a restaurant -- let's call it Al's Amore -- and the entrees are all priced at $20. You chose Al's because when you reviewed online menus, you saw that Bill's Bistro charged $30 for all entrees. All entrees at both restaurants are the same. Now, Al's didn't tell you, but they add a $10 charge to your check if you don't finish all of your succotash. But when you receive your check and ask about the $10 charge, you are told that you can have the charge refunded if you leave your date at the table for a few minutes and run 20 laps around the parking lot while wearing a silly hat. Even though the effective cost of Al's and Bill's may be the same -- and even lower at Al's if you're willing to do some calisthenics, I think I would go to Bill's restaurant - I just think Bill is a more honest businessman.
Perhaps I am not understanding this Budget surcharge completely. Judging from your illustrative example, this is what Budget does.

You reserve a car from Budget and let's say it costs $20 total (let's assume it's all inclusive to make it simple). When you arrive to pick up your car, Budget makes no disclosure of what your refueling options are and never mention a word about the "automatic" surcharge (and how it can be avoided, if at all). You politely decline all possible optional stuff so that your pick up invoice shows a grand total of $20 and you are given the key after completing the paperwork. When you return the car to Budget after fulfilling all of your obligations outlined in the rental contract such as topping off the gas tank, you are billed for $29.50 ($20 + $9.50). If that's the case, I would have to agree with you that Budget is pretty deceptive (perhaps dishonest) in its rental practice.

I supposed this is where the famous "read the fine prints" line comes into play--it's probably disclosed, but not brought to your attention at the time of rental. I can totally understand if you are turned away by this practice, but Budget really doesn't make you "run laps in the parking lot" to get the charges off. Plus, if all I have to do at your "Al's Amore" is to walk over to the cash register (as in walking inside at Budget) to remind them that the $10 surcharge should be taken off, I wouldn't mind patronizing "Al's" if its food is just as good as "Bill's" and cheaper. Perhaps what I would do is to remember to go to "Bill's" if I have a movie to catch after dinner because I can leave the restaurant quickly after I leave the money on the table!

LAX
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:57 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I wouldn't mind the surcharge at all (heck, I'd probably actually use it at places like ORD where no gas stations are close by) if it could be removed by the roving return agent upon presentation of a gas receipt. If people who are too stupid not to look at their receipt don't see it, then too bad for them.

It's the practice of forcing me to stand in line that has me so steamed.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:46 am
LAX

Originally Posted by das
I wouldn't mind the surcharge at all (heck, I'd probably actually use it at places like ORD where no gas stations are close by) if it could be removed by the roving return agent upon presentation of a gas receipt. If people who are too stupid not to look at their receipt don't see it, then too bad for them.

It's the practice of forcing me to stand in line that has me so steamed.
I hear you, but I will bet that's part of their tactics. If you want the convenience of not waiting in line, then pay up. You are essentially paying for the convenience of drop off and go. Not sure if other rental agencies factor this into their rates, but I supposed Budget decided to keep that off their rate so that the base rate looks more competitive? Perhaps once the "convenience surcharge" is factored in, Budget won't be the best deal in town? If that's the case, I really don't mind as I don't want to have to pay for the convenience when I don't need to and Budget's base rate is usually very attractive.

LAX

PS: Wait a minute, this sounds like I am making a pitch for Budget. Once again, I don't work for Budget and I have zero association with Budget other than an occasional customer.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:42 pm
cl_

Real Numbers

At the location at which I rented last week, Budget was $18 cheaper than the other options. Let's say Budget was $35 and the next least expensive was $53. I drove less than 75 miles.

I rented from Budget, and paid $35 plus the $9.50, for a total of $44.50 + taxes & junk fees.

If I had rented from the other company, it would be $53 rental + about $7 gas to fill it up, for a total of about $60 + taxes & junk fees.

I rented from Budget and saved time and money by not bothering with refueling.

Also, much to my annoyance, Budget Fastbreak is anything but fast. I must go the counter, where they have a sign prominently displayed stating they have a $9.50 refueling charge. They take the time to review the refueling options by asking if I want to buy a full tank upfront, and I tell them I'm driving less than 75 miles so I want the $9.50 option. This causes them to key something in before printing my contract.

Each week, when I return the car, they ask me if I filled it up before printing the receipt. I assume that if I said yes, they might ask for the receipt and not charge the $9.50. Don't know, and am not going to take the time to find out.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
Originally Posted by usflyer999
I have seen this mentioned in another thread, so I was aware of it. Yesterday morning, upon returing a Hertz car to SFO, I looked over the printout and found a charge for fuel. The slip stated "7/8 tank". I immediately questioned this, as I had just filled the car. The second attendant replied that "since I had traveled so few miles, and many people don't refill, hoping that it won't be noticed, they automatically add the charge for low-miles returns". The first clerk never asked if I had refilled the tank, just assumed that I hadn't, although the gauge registered higher than full. Looks like a new revenue enhancing scam being implimented by several companies.

Wow, I'll keep watch for this tactic.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Budget does not disclose this all the time. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes, there is a small note in the car, sometimes nothing. Actually, I can't recall that they ever have mentioned it to me unless I have mentioned it first. I do not call sticking up a sign someone, or leaving a sticky note in the car somewhere to be "notice" or an agreement. The first time I encountered it I did not know. Also, although its been a while since I checked - once it happened to me - I DID check the fine print and its nowhere mentioned in the contract that I see online [perhaps that has been fixed by now]. I also think I checked the paperwork I got once - but if you are a fastbreak customer, you often don't get anything - and there is nothing you sign such as the other waivers, etc. After finding out about it, it would be no big deal BUT for the hell they put you through to get it taken off. So actually, Budget does "make you run laps" to get the charge removed. As I previously posted, I was forced to wait inside at the rental counter during thanksgiving rush time in florida for over 30 minutes. I find this unreasonable. People do fast break for a reason. Also I find it unreasonable that knowing I only drove one of their cars 5 miles, they should want to charge me $9.50 for the gas when I can and refill it myself for much less.

Originally Posted by LAX
Perhaps I am not understanding this Budget surcharge completely. Judging from your illustrative example, this is what Budget does.

You reserve a car from Budget and let's say it costs $20 total (let's assume it's all inclusive to make it simple). When you arrive to pick up your car, Budget makes no disclosure of what your refueling options are and never mention a word about the "automatic" surcharge (and how it can be avoided, if at all). You politely decline all possible optional stuff so that your pick up invoice shows a grand total of $20 and you are given the key after completing the paperwork. When you return the car to Budget after fulfilling all of your obligations outlined in the rental contract such as topping off the gas tank, you are billed for $29.50 ($20 + $9.50). If that's the case, I would have to agree with you that Budget is pretty deceptive (perhaps dishonest) in its rental practice.

I supposed this is where the famous "read the fine prints" line comes into play--it's probably disclosed, but not brought to your attention at the time of rental. I can totally understand if you are turned away by this practice, but Budget really doesn't make you "run laps in the parking lot" to get the charges off. Plus, if all I have to do at your "Al's Amore" is to walk over to the cash register (as in walking inside at Budget) to remind them that the $10 surcharge should be taken off, I wouldn't mind patronizing "Al's" if its food is just as good as "Bill's" and cheaper. Perhaps what I would do is to remember to go to "Bill's" if I have a movie to catch after dinner because I can leave the restaurant quickly after I leave the money on the table!

LAX
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:03 am
LAX

Originally Posted by Donna D
Budget does not disclose this all the time. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes, there is a small note in the car, sometimes nothing. Actually, I can't recall that they ever have mentioned it to me unless I have mentioned it first. I do not call sticking up a sign someone, or leaving a sticky note in the car somewhere to be "notice" or an agreement. The first time I encountered it I did not know. Also, although its been a while since I checked - once it happened to me - I DID check the fine print and its nowhere mentioned in the contract that I see online [perhaps that has been fixed by now]. I also think I checked the paperwork I got once - but if you are a fastbreak customer, you often don't get anything - and there is nothing you sign such as the other waivers, etc. After finding out about it, it would be no big deal BUT for the hell they put you through to get it taken off. So actually, Budget does "make you run laps" to get the charge removed. As I previously posted, I was forced to wait inside at the rental counter during thanksgiving rush time in florida for over 30 minutes. I find this unreasonable. People do fast break for a reason. Also I find it unreasonable that knowing I only drove one of their cars 5 miles, they should want to charge me $9.50 for the gas when I can and refill it myself for much less.
I don't even know why I am trying to defend something that appears so consumer "unfriendly", but the way I see it, if you want the convenience of drop off and go and not "run laps" to get the charges off, just pay up in the form of a surcharge at Budget or in the form of a higher base rate at other rental agencies. Again, I personally prefer the option of not paying for something that I don't need (in the form of a higher base rate). Decide for yourself, I guess.

LAX
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I don't even know why I am trying to defend something that appears so consumer "unfriendly", but the way I see it, if you want the convenience of drop off and go and not "run laps" to get the charges off, just pay up in the form of a surcharge at Budget or in the form of a higher base rate at other rental agencies. Again, I personally prefer the option of not paying for something that I don't need (in the form of a higher base rate). Decide for yourself, I guess.

LAX
I can see your point, but why do they have to make it so difficult to have the charge reversed?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:58 pm
das

I finally received an email response from Budget Customer Service. Given it took 6 days for them to reply (vs. a promised 24 hours) I thought I would actually get a more comprehensive response - i.e. "life is about choices and you can pay for convenience" - but instead they apologized and said that I shouldn't have had to wait in line, and have escalated it to the city manager for Detroit.

I find all this to be nonsense because I was clearly told in Detroit that making customers stand in line was a computer programming decision made by corporate, and they had no control over it. I actually believe them because the roving return agent tried different tricks to get the charge removed (next time, I'll ask them to fudge the mileage, because that's a trick that WILL work). I have also read FTers have had the same experience in other cities.

I replied back to Budget to ask them if they meant that in the future I will be able to get the charge removed at the roving return unit (because after all, they promised "to prevent any future recurrence"). I'll let you know if I hear back.

Hello Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Budget Customer Relations regarding your recent
rental from our Detroit office.

Budget is a company that is actively interested in and committed to
providing the best all-around service for its customers. It is distressing
to receive a report of this nature and to learn that a customer has found
some aspect of their experience with Budget to be less than satisfactory.
We apologize for any inconvenience of getting the gas charge removed.

Any difficulties or problems encountered by a customer are a concern to us,
and we apologize most sincerely for any inconvenience you may have been
caused. Please be assured that your experience was not typical of Budget's
usual high standards, and that the responsible manager has been contacted to
prevent any recurrence.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to the
privilege of providing for your future rental needs.

Thank you for choosing Budget

Joe Daniels
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:12 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by docmonkey
I can see your point, but why do they have to make it so difficult to have the charge reversed?
To make more profits. With their lower rates (usually), they already have your business for that rental. Anything on top of that (ie: optional insurance, vehicle upgrades, refueling, etc.) is gravy. Plus, many people don't mind paying a few bucks to avoid hassles, which plays right into Budget's hands of padding its bottom line. Imagine how much revenue Budget would potentially lose if a roving agent can take that surcharge off with a click of a button.

LAX
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
To make more profits. With their lower rates (usually), they already have your business for that rental. Anything on top of that (ie: optional insurance, vehicle upgrades, refueling, etc.) is gravy. Plus, many people don't mind paying a few bucks to avoid hassles, which plays right into Budget's hands of padding its bottom line. Imagine how much revenue Budget would potentially lose if a roving agent can take that surcharge off with a click of a button.

LAX
Perhaps less than the lost business because of Budget's budding reputation for being sneaky.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:21 pm

I want to chime in here. I rent a car weekly for business and until recently, I did it with budget. I travel frequently to Denver and Reno. When I go to Reno I always drive less than 75 miles and everytime I tell them I will bring it back full, yet everytime I get charged the 9.50 fuel fee. The last time I rented in Reno was a week and a half ago, the person helping me asked if I wanted to prepay or bring it back full, I told him I will bring it back full (it's my company's policy to fill up before I take a car back). When I brought it back I still got nailed with the fee.

I know my $5000 a year in car rentals isn't probably nearly as much as other people dish out, but I am sure other agency's will appreciate my business enough to not hassle me the way budget is. It's rediculous that each week, I have to wait in line and show them my receipts that I purchased gas so I can have that charge taken off.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Budget $9.50 Fee in L.A. Times

Scroll down to last item on this webpage: http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...,5205904.story
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:26 am
das

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Scroll down to last item on this webpage: http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...,5205904.story
It's disappointing that the LA Times didn't put Susan McGowan on the spot for why Budget forces travelers to stand in line to get the charge removed.

Perhaps we should all write a letter to the editor of the LA Times.

Budget
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Originally Posted by das
It's disappointing that the LA Times didn't put Susan McGowan on the spot for why Budget forces travelers to stand in line to get the charge removed.

Perhaps we should all write a letter to the editor of the LA Times.

Budget
So wouldn't the proper solution to their problem be that if someone did not have a receipt, they THEN add the 9.50 to the rental, rather than hassling their previously loyal business renters or ripping off the unsuspecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.