Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget gas scam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:43 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Spot on LAX !

Tip: (especially if you're in one of these 'notorious' locations) -- on pickup, stop at the first pump you see and top off .. if it's more than a reasonable fraction of a gallon, you'll enjoy having that receipt in hand when they try to stick you on the return ... ^

(Best Defense school of Negotiating)
/.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:39 pm

Gas-Scam.com

Gas-Scam,

Yes, I agree, some airport locations are a gas-rip-off and if you don't have a receipt from closest station, you won't have a leg to stand on when you learn of the additional rental charge that they will try to slip in on you. BEWARE.

Good luck, Mike
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:21 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I read this thread prior to my most recent Budget rental, showed the gas receipt, the agent was too busy (and I was in too much of a hurry) to print me a rental receipt at the time.

The $9.50 STILL showed up. I called, they promised to reverse it. No sign that it's been reversed yet.
I'm giving it another few days, then filing a formal dispute with my credit card company. Perhaps if enough people complain, they will end this "policy" of attempting to swindle an extra $10 per rental.

Cendant and Budget can rot. I make one attempt a year to hope they've changed, when they throw me a lowball price too good not to ignore, but at this point, I've decided I will pay ANY premium to book with another company for hotel/car. Never again, not one cent. Life's too short to have to be at these companies and fighting them to get MY money back.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
The DUB Budget routinely charges a 50 euro gas deposit upfront, and if you return the car full this fee is supposed to be refunded...return less than full, and they are supposed to refund the difference. Every time I've had to battle to get my 50 euros back Usually I'm taking an early morning flight back to the US, so it's dropped off before they open and I can't discuss it at the time.

Sadly, they are generally much cheaper than their competitors, so even if I lose 50 euros I'm still saving money.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by IrishRed
The DUB Budget routinely charges a 50 euro gas deposit upfront, and if you return the car full this fee is supposed to be refunded...return less than full, and they are supposed to refund the difference. Every time I've had to battle to get my 50 euros back Usually I'm taking an early morning flight back to the US, so it's dropped off before they open and I can't discuss it at the time.

Sadly, they are generally much cheaper than their competitors, so even if I lose 50 euros I'm still saving money.
Now I'm so happy that I rented from Hertz in Dublin this March. Pickup in town, dropoff at airport 10 days later.
Too bad their office wasn't downtown-- I had to pay a E15 taxi fare from the Westin !
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Had to go inside to get the charge removed - ridiculous

So much for being a loyal FASTBREAK Budget renter for years - I have had it! Since they started this gas charge scam, its not been much of a hassle for me because I have only rented a few times, and it was removed outside when I returned the car. However, yesterday, I returned a car to MIA - showed the guy my receipt and was told I had to go inside to have the charge removed. Of course, the place is full of Thanksgiving travelers and the lines were so long people actually had to sit and wait until their names were called. I got in the "return" line and after standing there for about 15 minutes walked up and inquired if there really is a 'return' line or am I just wasting my time. Another 10 minutes later he finally lets me come up. This is just ridiculous. I will never rent with Budget again. I ask him what's the point of being a Fastbreak member if you now have to deal with this nonsense every time you rent a car.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Donna D
So much for being a loyal FASTBREAK Budget renter for years - I have had it! Since they started this gas charge scam, its not been much of a hassle for me because I have only rented a few times, and it was removed outside when I returned the car. However, yesterday, I returned a car to MIA - showed the guy my receipt and was told I had to go inside to have the charge removed. Of course, the place is full of Thanksgiving travelers and the lines were so long people actually had to sit and wait until their names were called. I got in the "return" line and after standing there for about 15 minutes walked up and inquired if there really is a 'return' line or am I just wasting my time. Another 10 minutes later he finally lets me come up. This is just ridiculous. I will never rent with Budget again. I ask him what's the point of being a Fastbreak member if you now have to deal with this nonsense every time you rent a car.
Yesterday, I had a similar experience. Budget's scam is so bizarre that at first I thought I had misunderstood the guy.

As usual, I topped off the tank right before entering the return lot. When the guy processes the return, he tells me I'm going to have to pay $9.50 extra because I'm "3 miles short." It took me a couple minutes to realize what was going on, due to the weird nature of the scam. Then, I offered to drive around the airport for a couple of minutes to get the mileage up to the required 75 miles.

Finally, he said I could get it removed inside, so in I went. Faced a long line of people, finally got to the counter, where it took about 3 - 4 minutes of typing furiously to get the charge cleared.

Bye-bye Budget!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:24 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by ezmonee
... the point is, lets take my location (avis) for example. The rover agents will roughly check in 98% of our total check ins on any given day, equating to 600-800 cars in an 8 hour period. Two rovers, 800 cars....thats 50 cars per hour per agent. At 45 seconds per transaction (flying), stuff gets missed. Although Budget is a Cendant Company along with avis, I must say that I am not in the habit of justifying for companies other than avis. But on this note, all it takes is one finger slip to charge someone gas even though its full.
Ladies and Gents, at times, its not about the mistakes that are made.....it happens. For every mistake my agents have done, I can quote 7 mistakes made by the renter themselves.
Sorry ezmonee, that doesn't cut it.

It's the rental firm's JOB to get it right. What you're saying is 'we shortstaff our locations, and any mistakes that result are the customer's resposibility.'

It don't work that way.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I wish I had seen this thread before my rental at SEA last week. I got the rental through priceline, and my return to SEA was at 5:00 a.m. There were no attendants on duty, so I noted fuel level, mileage, time, and that I had purchased fuel. I even provided a receipt.

Yesterday (4 days after the return), I received a receipt from Budget with a charge for $9.44, even though "Fuel In" on the receipt shows "8/8." There's a handwritten note on the receipt:

The 9.44 is the cost for gas through hot wire

I'm not sure what "hot wire" has to do with it. I consider charging a customer for something (gas) that the customer did not consume (I replaced what I used) fraudulent, and I told Budget so in an email. If they do not reverse the charge, I will contest it with American Express.

This is the second consecutive bad experience I have had with Budget (a car picked up in DEN last month only had 1/3 tank of gas), and I will do all I can to avoid them in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:07 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Just returned a car to avis--they now charge 14.50 as their gas retainer. Rented again today, and will put about 120 miles on it--let's see what they come up with for this one (might balance out the 20 miles from yesterday)
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:32 am

I just got caught in the $9.50 scam at DCA. They automatically charge the $9.50 for any rental under 75 miles because the "computers are programed that way" and told me to go inside. When I went to the Fastbreak booth, they initally told me I had to go downstairs to the counter. I then said I was Fastbreak and they said "Oh, we can do it here".

It is a scam being done by the corporation to skim money from customers who do not have time to contest it.

I have just made the decsion to give all the business to Hertz for any low mileage rental despite the cost.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
LAX scam continues

Budget LAX - rented last night, drove 19 miles (I always set the trip odometer) and returned just a short while ago.

I ask (each time) about the 75 mile rule for gas at the Fast break checkout - they say we can remove it at return in the lot as opposed to going inside.

So today I return after putting $3 in 2 miles from LAX. I show the receipt before he even scans my car for return. He says I need to go inside. I said, last time they did it outside (First I got the 9.50 then a 2nd receipt was printed without it). and he tried but said I can't do it. I go inside, they take it off and told me they've been told that they can't do it outside anymore. I don't believe them because they would have told me that outside.

I need to start carrying a copy of the one that they took off outside to shove in their face when they say that they can't.

Its just a scam to see who will go inside. Most won't as they are in too much of a hurry. Its just a way to gouge another customer.

Another time I called our corp rep at budget who took it off. I'm calling her again to lodge a complaint. Then calling travel at work to lodge another complaint then I will see if I can get everyone who travels in my office to make a complaint with out travel office. We are a big enough company that maybe we can negotiate this charge off our contract.

Budget $ucks, I never use them for personal travel.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH Silver
So, I'm confused. Is this happening at all Budget locations nationwide or just some of them. I was just about to book with Budget at PBI in March and now I am having second thoughts based on this thread. I will be traveling with my wife and 18 month old and I am already trying to strategize the logistics.

When I drop the car, I want to leave and not make my wife and child wait long times for any misc fuel charge to be reversed.

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
I believe it is select locations based on my experiences (we have to use budget for domestic rentals at work)

my last stop prior to this one, didn't do that, the lady said "oh we don't do that here"

other places have said the same things while others try to gouge you for every last 9.50's worth but LAX is real bad
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus
Just had this experience today at BWI. Had to rent from Budget (last minute reservation and Hertz and Avis were sold out) for business. Got to the airport yesterday, and yes I hate the new central facility, and the nice clerk offered me a minivan for my mid-size. I politely declined. Finally found a mid-sized car, but then it took them another 10 minutes to bring it around. Upon returning the car this morning, the $9.50 automatic charge showed up, even though he checked it in as full. Of course, he couldn't correct it there, so I had to go inside. What a hassle. All 3 rentals with Budget have been a pain for me. Luckily, my new company uses Hertz, so I shouldn't have to deal with them again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.