Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question to BA lurkers about Redemptions and Domestics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question to BA lurkers about Redemptions and Domestics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Hi Blawson

If it is on one ticket regardless of the class of travel (miles, fully flex or anything else) then access to the relevant lounges should be granted. I flew from GLA to LHR the previous evening before flying out to MIA. Mind and take a copy of the rules/table of what gets you into what lounge etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Unfortunatly that is not my consistent experience and yet again the rules seem to be a moving target.

Maybe the threads need merging but I posted on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826730 (last post) and never got an answer (admittedly a couple scenarios a little out the ordinary but the fundamental questions about reward bookings and/or/not split tickets has not been fully answered)
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by BA1A
Maybe Nicci could post a copy of the communication on here if she is allowed and this could then be added to The Ultimate Guide and people who were worried they may be refused access could simply print a copy of her confirmation to take with them?

Nicci - I will PM you and see if are you able to do this.

Updated: PM sent 12/07/08.
Originally Posted by matthewuk
Unfortunatly that is not my consistent experience and yet again the rules seem to be a moving target.

Maybe the threads need merging but I posted on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826730 (last post) and never got an answer (admittedly a couple scenarios a little out the ordinary but the fundamental questions about reward bookings and/or/not split tickets has not been fully answered)
Agreed, which is why I posted the above and am hoping Nicci will be able to help when she is back in on Monday.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA1A
Agreed, which is why I posted the above and am hoping Nicci will be able to help when she is back in on Monday.
Well let's hope Nicci can get this sorted out once and for all. It seems to have been dragging on for months.Surely the turnover of staff in the lounges can't be that great to be still causing these problems?
It is definitely printed on my booking that I do have access to the Galleries in T5 before my connection to MAN. Can't believe a member of BA staff refused to acknowledge that the MMB printed information is correct.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Bobcat901
I received an apology from BA Customer Relations today. They advised me that as we were travelling on Club class tickets, then we should have been able to gain entry, providing they were fully flexible tickets.

This confusion and muddlement is an embarrassment to BA. Nicci should copy this whole thread to someone senior and let them see the mess.

Last edited by redshift27; Jul 12, 2008 at 2:37 pm
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:43 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Dear all

I'm afraid I can't post the internal communication here but I do want to apologise for the various problems you have all encountered.

I assure you that this thread has been circulated to the senior managers in the lounge team and in fact, the discussions on FT are what prompted us to issue the communication in the first place so it has not gone unanswered.

Please continue to let me know if you have specific issues via PM with any details you have including the airport where issues have occurred and we can start to target problem areas if needs be.

Best regards

Nicci
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Some friends flew back from IAD on Tuesday night, on a 241/BA Miles booking, arriving Wed 9th and were denied entry to the T5 Galleries Lounge.

When I see them later I will find out which lounge and what was said to them and PM BA Executive Club.

They had flown back in J with a through connection to EDI.

Aero.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: BA : Virgin
Guys - am I correct in the following (2 seperate un-linked return tickets : 1 cash return: 1 BAMiles return : All same day connections) -- NO BA Status

Ticket (1) Out : "Econ" Cash ticket : MAN-LHR (Can use Business Lounge at MAN)
to connect to
Ticket (2) Out : "First" BAMiles ticket : LHR-JFK (Can use CR + all others at LHR)

Ticket (2) In : "ClubW" BAMiles ticket : JFK-LHR (Can use Business Lounge at JFK)
to connect to
Ticket (1) In : "Econ" Cash ticket : LHR-MAN (Can use Business Lounge at LHR -- Arrivals lounge is closed at that time)

Last edited by Quebec5; Jul 14, 2008 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Quebec5
Guys - am I correct in the following (2 seperate un-linked return tickets : 1 cash return: 1 BAMiles return : All same day connections) -- NO BA Status

to connect to
Ticket (2) Out : "First" BAMiles ticket : LHR-JFK (Can use CR + all others at LHR)

Ticket (2) In : "ClubW" BAMiles ticket : JFK-LHR (Can use Business Lounge at JFK)
to connect to
Ticket (1) In : "Econ" Cash ticket : LHR-MAN (Can use Business Lounge at LHR -- Arrivals lounge is closed at that time)
Why ask us when BA don't even know?

Seriously, I always thought that the sectors had to be all on one ticket and not separate ones. Having read some posts though I am not so sure I am correct.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Quebec5

to connect to

to connect to
Can I ask why you needed to buy separate cash tickets for MAN-LHR and LHR-MAN? It doesn't require any extra miles to add the domestic connections on to the BA miles longhaul flights and I've rarely had problems with availability of BA miles flights for connecting domestic segments (to or from EDI) if there was availability on the international flights.

Sometimes on first booking the redemption flights many months in advance I've had to book domestic flights that would involve spending several hours at LHR between the domestic and international flights but I've usually found that availability for more convenient domestic flights opens up closer to to the time of travel and I've then been able to phone up and change the domestic segments.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:23 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Last week at MAN, "F" redemption MAN-LHR-BKK which ticketed into C for MAN-LHR. After an interminable wait to check-in, was informed that if I had status (check-in system was down so CSE was unable to see from screen) so that I'd be able to access Lounge.

I replied that I had Qantas Club membership - not even thinking that the C sector should have granted automatic access - so if the rules are there, then they are not clearly circulated.

A slightly OT question: should the "C" on my BP have entitled me to use the Fastrack lane through security at MAN? The jobsworth refused to recognise it as Business Class and insisted I went through with the plebs - which didn't happen cos the plebs queue was so long, we then had to go around to Zone D.

BD
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Your redemption definitely did not book in to C class as that's a revenue bucket. Unlike BD/Star, BA prints a generic cabin code on its BPs regardless of your booking bucket. All Domestic BPs have C on them (as do Club Europe). First has F, CW has J, WT+ has W and WT/ET have M.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Your redemption definitely did not book in to C class as that's a revenue bucket. <snip> All Domestic BPs have C on them (as do Club Europe). First has F, CW has J, WT+ has W and WT/ET have M.
Apologies, thanks for the clarification. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that because "C" was on the BP - and not "J" - then this was the booking class.

Seems Mr Jobsworth was correct in denying me access to the Fastrack.
I take back my evil thoughts.

So, if "C" is printed for all Domestics/CE, how are the Lounge Folk supposed to differentiate?

BD
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by BD1959
Apologies, thanks for the clarification. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that because "C" was on the BP - and not "J" - then this was the booking class.

Seems Mr Jobsworth was correct in denying me access to the Fastrack.
I take back my evil thoughts.

So, if "C" is printed for all Domestics/CE, how are the Lounge Folk supposed to differentiate?

BD

When they scan the barcode it shows them the booking class.

Once again I aske the question (and I will ask this until I get an answer from someone at BA) - to solve all these problems, to prevent it being a training issue - all they need to do is to make sure that Business and FIRST redemptions on UK Dom ticket in U or Z and that Business UK appears on the BP - then not even the most untrained jobsworth can argue with accesss (and Biz UK would also give access to fast track as well).
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Further to my previous post...

My friends tried to get in to the Galleries Club South lounge and handed over the LHR-EDI BPs. When the staff member said they weren't permitted to enter they explained they had just flown in from IAD in Club. Still no access.

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing the staff member at the next desk leaned over and the staff member they were dealing with asked "can I just let them in?". The other staff member looked at the BPs and said "They're not the right class." and access again was denied.

Now we know what "not the right class" implies but for many people it would seem to be a comment about your social status and therefore with the queue that had built up it turned in to a very embarrassing situation.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Confirmed I gained access to the EDI lounge with no status on my way to LHR to start an F trip to USA. This was last week. Lounge dragon did seem to take a moment to think about it, but then decided we should be allowed in.

FWIW, I had my Priority Pass card ready if there was any trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.