Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question to BA lurkers about Redemptions and Domestics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question to BA lurkers about Redemptions and Domestics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Got a reply from Nicci about this.

Another document to print out and carry with you!

Hi there

Apologies for the delayed response - I have been in discussion with our lounges team with this and wanted to ensure I could offer you a helpful and definitive response.

I can confirm that any passenger travelling on a Club or First ticket and connecting to or from a domestic flight is entitled to use the departure lounge. We have issued a communication today to all of our airport management team to remind their staff of this policy.

I hope this helps but please do let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best regards

Nicci
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Club as in Club World or Club as in Club Europe or both?!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:50 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi all

Apologies, I had meant to re-visit this thread so that everyone received the same information as edi-traveller. As a courtesy I had contacted him first in response to his private mail.

In any case, I can confirm the information posted in my private mail is correct and again, we have issued internal communications to our airport management teams to avoid our members being denied access when they are holding an eligible ticket.

The information may take a week or so to filter through but if you do have any issues after this time please do let me know and I will pick up the issue again. I am sorry for anyone who has had problems up until this point.

Best regards

Nicci
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:04 am

Nicci - thanks for helping....however....

Can you clarify what the lounge agents have been told as I am not clear on the scope of the rules? What is meant by '...any passenger connecting to or from a domestic flight...'

Does it have to be on the same ticket? Does it have to be the same day? Is 'the same day' the same calender day or is it a 24hr period (and does the 24hr period start from when the first flight departed or arrived!!)? Does the ticket class have any bearing?

I really really do apologise for being pedantic but there are many scenarios that people genuinely encounter that come in to play...

Example 1 - JFK-LHR (I class) leaves 19:00 arrives 07:15 next day. Connect to LHR-EDI (M class on a seperate ticket). I may elect to take this connection the same morning or spend the day working in London and get a late evening connection or *even* connect the next morning at 06:50!!

Personally, I think the first 2 sound like lounge access granted but the third one is pushing the boundaries (but within 24hrs)! But what is the rule?

Example 2 - EDI-LHR (M class) 20:20 arrives 21:40. Connect to LHR-JFK next morning (I class on a seperate ticket)

Possibly pushing the boundaries but how would that be any different to getting the first EDI-LHR in the morning and then the last LHR-JFK at night?

Example 3 - EDI-LHR (M class) 2020 arrives 21:40. Connect to LHR-JFK next morning (I class on the same ticket)

I would expect lounge access (but suspect the policy may not let me?)

Example 4 - EDI-LHR (U class redemption). Connect to LHR-JFK (U class redemption - same ticket) a week later.

I would expect lounge access (but still unsure if I would be allowed)

Example 5 - EDI-LHR (X class redemption because U was not available). Connect to LHR-JFK (U clas redemption - same ticket) a week later.

No idea!! - but my money says MMB will suggest lounge access allowed!!!

I'm not trying to 'play the game' - I just want clarity as most of the above has happened or potentially happened to me due to work demands, the way the booking engines work or the availability of redemption seats.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Emirates Skywards
New Lounge Admission Policy

My wife and I returned from Calgary this afternoon en-route to MAN via LHR. This flight was booked in CLUB although with a redemption ticket status. We trotted over from T4 to T5 where we had an hour or so to wait for the connecting flight so we decided to spend our time in the Galleries Lounge. It was most embarrassing to be refused entry to Galleries North. The person manning the desk was adamant that we were not entitled lounge access because the next leg of our journey was Domestic. I asked to speak to the Supervisor who confirmed that our ticket did not entitle us to lounge access. He went on to explain that this was a recent policy change on behalf of BA. He claimed our class of ticket was not Fully Flexible and therefore no access would be granted. This was despite our printed intinerary (from BA.com) stating that we could use either Galleries Lounge en-route to MAN. This was a most embarrassing experience for both my wife and myself.
Anyway, I decided to try the Galleries South where we were ushered inside with open arms! So, I returned to speak to the supervisor in Galleries North to ask why the two BA lounges in T5 were operating different admission policies. He stated quite adamantly that he was right and that our entry to Galleries South was down to a "staff training problem".
Now, I'm a long-standing fan of BA and my wife and I have nothing but praise for the treatement we've received in the past. Our flight back from Calgary was excellent so it was extremely disappointing to be treated this way on our return to the UK.
Looks like I either encountered a jobsworth or BA are in the process of changing their lounge admission policy.

Last edited by Bobcat901; Jul 10, 2008 at 1:38 pm Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Nicci (BA Executive Club) said recently that a new communication had been issued to lounges to remind them of this valid access rule as a result of complaints/issues rasied here she had looked in to. Perhaps this didn't get through yet or has been misunderstood (or indeed there's a genuine policy change)? If Nicci sees this, perhaps she can help rule out the last one at least?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: F
Given that I will be flying the same route under the same circumstances in about 50 days I find this most distressing. Oneworld rules allows lounge access. I hope you have taken his name and will write a letter outlining the incident to someone as senior as you can find in Customer Services. Do it for me!
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:03 pm

Have raised a complaint with BA Customer Relations. I'll post a response when I hear back.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Bobcat901
Anyway, I decided to try the Galleries South where we were ushered inside with open arms! So, I returned to speak to the supervisor in Galleries North to ask why the two BA lounges in T5 were operating different admission policies. He stated quite adamantly that he was right and that our entry to Galleries South was down to a "staff training problem".
He was the one who needed training (or more likely sacking).

Still don't understand why this needs to be a training issue though - surely some IT person can make sure that Business/F redemptions book into the correct bucket on Domestics as well and that U and Z print BUSINESS UK on the BP - then no jobsworth - or untrained person can argue with the policy.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Interesting thread and various experiences! As a lowly Blue thought i'd note my own lounge experiences so far on my latest jaunt.

Flew GLA-LHR-MIA recently doing my first ever 'First' experience on a redemption/ 2-4-1 for my son. (Fantastic First crew who, without asking, upgraded Mrs from Club on entering so all travelled together)

Have to say from start to finish service/treatment we have had so far was .....'First Class'!!!!!!!!!! ^

Treated like VIP's from the start and gained access to the lounge at Glasgow and the following morning at the CCR without any problems and the latter flight was on my sons birthday. The crew really couldnt do enough for us.

Have done CW quite a few times over the years and this was much better. Checked my tickets and they were Z and X for the domestic. Hope we dont encounter lounge problems at T5 on the way back but looks like this will be resolved and as per the more experienced FT's....I have printed a copy of the rules.

Learned so much from this site despite reading it for a few years and I am sure many Blues like myself really appreciate all the many tips by the frequent /experienced FT's on all the subjects posted so keep up the good work as it is appreciated and used to good effect! ^
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Nicci (BA Executive Club) said recently that a new communication had been issued to lounges to remind them of this valid access rule as a result of complaints/issues rasied here she had looked in to. Perhaps this didn't get through yet or has been misunderstood (or indeed there's a genuine policy change)? If Nicci sees this, perhaps she can help rule out the last one at least?
Maybe Nicci could post a copy of the actual internal communication on here if she is allowed to and this could then be added to The Ultimate Guide and so people who were worried they may be refused access could simply print a copy of her communication to take with them?

Nicci - I will PM you and see if are you able to do this.

Updated: PM sent 12/07/08.

Last edited by BA1A; Jul 12, 2008 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Gold - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by trickster
The MAN-LHR flight is ticketed in booking class X.
How do you find out what Booking Class the Domestic leg is in?

I have an upcoming EDI-LHR-CPT & I can only find "Domestic" listed under the EDI-LHR legs.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Blue.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Treated like VIP's from the start and gained access to the lounge at Glasgow and the following morning at the CCR without any problems and the latter flight was on my sons birthday. The crew really couldnt do enough for us. ^
What is the rule regarding access to the lounge if flying down the previous day for a connection? Peter01 appears to have been allowed access to the lounge in Glasgow. I have a 2F1 to LAX coming up - and like Peter - fly down from Scotland the day before so I can make the 09:30 LAX flight on Sunday. Am I allowed access to the lounge in EDI on the Sat? (it is all one ticket) - I am sure someone has said it is only allowed if your travelling the same day.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:39 am

Smile Response from BA Customer Relations

I received an apology from BA Customer Relations today. They advised me that as we were travelling on Club class tickets, then we should have been able to gain entry, providing they were fully flexible tickets.
How do I check whether these redemption tickets were fully flexible (they were booked using BA Miles and a 241)?

I reminded them to advise their door staff to apply the rules consistently.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hi Blawson

If it is on one ticket regardless of the class of travel (miles, fully flex or anything else) then access to the relevant lounges should be granted. I flew from GLA to LHR the previous evening before flying out to MIA. Mind and take a copy of the rules/table of what gets you into what lounge etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.