Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's Best Daylight Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I love the view out of the window on any day flight, even just watching the clouds...! Preferably with a gin and tonic or glass of champagne in hand.
Assuming I haven't been forced to shut the window blind which I can't bear...
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:19 am

The girlfriend would probably vote for NRT-LHR in 3K this year, but I think the South Pacific puddle-jumpers are great non-BA flights. My vote, since it's the only one I've done, goes to HIR-GZO, that's Honiara Henderson International to Gizo International (runway qualifies, even if the terminal has only a tin roof!) via various pax, bag and chicken pick-ups en route.

Closer to home, the flight to the Scillies is pretty cool, and dropping into Ibiza over the salt pans at sunset ought to put a smile on your face (at some point in the evening).

So, what's the worst flight view? Anything landing in the Ruhr? Luton? Anywhere with fire engines waiting...?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not a dayflight but I like the morning views over Mongolia on the approach to BJS.
I second that one.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
To echo another post, the rare times you get to fly over a major city's downtown area are spectacular. LHR at the right times, LGA (not on BA, obv), and SYD's 16R.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Not on BA but flying into BGI on Thomas Cook, view not bad of Barbados, but far more important was the fact you then knew you were about to be able to get off their flying cattle truck...
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Final approach into LIS as the sun is setting is spectacularly beautiful with the warmth of the evening sun lighting up the buildings.

One day flight that I supect could have great views is the SQ SIN - LHR flight that passes the Himalayas. Alas when I flew earlier this year, cloud was all that was visible.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Dragon Air landing at Paro Airport in Bhutan. Now that's a ride!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, SK Diamond
It has to be a day flight from ADD to LHR following the Nile all the way up to the coast - views of Khartoum where Blue joins White and then over Cairo on a crystal clear day. So much for the work planned...

And of course an very early morning run in over London on a clear day makes one proud to be.....

Ahhhhhh
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm with phreegreens on this one (and I'm surprised others haven't mentioned it). The daytime CPT-LHR flight is great and offers views that are normally never seen on any of BA's other Europe-Africa flights.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BAPremier
HKG, the old one - awesome
^^ for the olld HKG

And I also love coming into MIA as you cruise parallel to the oceanfront, then over the intracoastal waterway and the city before turning over the Everglades and in.

MBJ can be fun too - you come right over the coral reefs just before landing right next to the ocean/
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How could I miss my home city out. The view from the j/K side when approaching from the East is great, but I also like the view from the north when flying past LHR to approach from the West. My early morning flights ex HKG often taken this route, and you can see all of London spreading out. It's especially nice as I can also see that the house hasn't burnt down. Mind you, laying in bed this morning listening to the early wave fly over was nicer than being on board.

My favorite puddle jumper was Savai'i to Apia in Samoa (only pax, flew low so we could get some great photos), closely followed by hopping down the coast of Belize in a Cessna Caravan. Going from a grass strip to the tarmac of the Int'l airport was quite a contrast.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by stevenshev
To echo another post, the rare times you get to fly over a major city's downtown area are spectacular. LHR at the right times, LGA (not on BA, obv), and SYD's 16R.
So which side of the plane would you sit on for the best views landing into SYD? A-side or K-side?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cyba
So which side of the plane would you sit on for the best views landing into SYD? A-side or K-side?
It's a problem, because it depends on which side you're coming in from. 16R tends to be used when the weather isn't great, and in that case it's a clear A side.

Coming into 34L, or (on very rare occasion) into 25, I guess you want the K side.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by House
MXS-FGI (Savaii to Upolu in Samoa on Polynesian Airlines) or vice versa give some amazing coral reef views, not to mention the pleasure of landing on what seems to be essentially a school playing field at one end of the trip.

So far, these are for me the only flights on which I've been weighed as well as the luggage!
Oops - meant to edit not to quote!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by PhilH
The old days of Don Muang. All changed now with the new airport (which I won't attempt to spell here, Suvharnabhumi or summat).

If we're going non-BA, then take-off from ZQN is unbeatable, especially if the pilot powers down after take off so "you can all get a better view" ^.
I much prefer ZQN landings to take-off. Weave through the mountain passes and valleys on the descent.

The short hop from BHE or NSN to WLG is also great on a nice day.

Any flight with an all too rare op-up.

BA longhaul flights are always disappointing, for I have yet to fly with Pucci.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.