Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A couple days' heads up on when the strike's to begin would be wonderful; in the absence of that, what's the earliest estimated start date for a strike?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:38 am

Extracted from BA Intranet

BA News interactive
News Article
Next | more news | archived news

Strike talks set to continue Friday

Talks between the airline and T&G trade union officials to avoid a cabin crew strike have taken place today.

It was agreed that discussions will resume on Friday (January 19).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
bealine's bit

As long as discussions are continuing, the strike will be held off. It is once impasse is reached and dialogue breaks off that the union leaders will give notice of an intent to withdraw labour.

For as long as these guys remain "agreeing" to go away, consider and resume talks, there is hope that a strike will be avoided!

Let's hope, for all our sakes, that sense prevails!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:14 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Yes there are two. I know that it sounds a lot - extrravagant even but the geography of a 747 rather dictates this. We always had two even when the UD was WT (on an aside I loved the 747 Classic when it was Club World - and it was so small it was only one cabin crew member.

So PUCCI, you are saying there are only 2 Cabin Crew on the Upper Deck and BA want to reduce it to One, I can't think that could ever work. Or do you mean there are 2 Flight Attendents and One Purser...making Three, or One Worker and One Purser and BA want to change that Second Crew Member from a Purser to a regular FA.

I am begining to feel that we are not getting a Full and accurate story here.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
So PUCCI, you are saying there are only 2 Cabin Crew on the Upper Deck and BA want to reduce it to One, I can't think that could ever work. Or do you mean there are 2 Flight Attendents and One Purser...making Three, or One Worker and One Purser and BA want to change that Second Crew Member from a Purser to a regular FA.

I am begining to feel that we are not getting a Full and accurate story here.
Yes particularly dangerous if a life threatening incident occurs such as a cardiac arrest and CPR plus defibrilation is needed.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:27 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by loobtastic
Yes, in any organisation there will always be people that take the piss. The cabin crew have been extremely badly managed for years. They (BA) should have had an excellent sickness policy in place, that takes into account the type of work that is expected of a cc member, that takes into account the amount of time away from home, that takes into account, how impossible it is to get a drs appt on your day off!

When I joined BA I was TOLD by them, never fly with a cold, a bad tummy, food poisoning, never come to work ill, there are lots of drugs that you can't work whilst still taking. If I took notice of all their advice, I would've been sacked ages ago!

BA have changed the goalposts so many times, it's sick!

To the doubters out there. I DID leave because I got so fed up of being treated like crap.

As a senior crew member, I did lots of unpaid hrs. Preparing for a flt and after flts. Whilst away I even visited our pax and crew in hospital. A "thanks " from my mgr? Errrr.... never. I did CPR on 2 pax. A thanks , or a "are you OK?" nope!

As far as the pensions issue goes. I signed my contract. I paid into my pension. If I turned around to my mortgage provider and said that I would like to leave 10 yrs early, with the same houses, do you think that they would let me?

I signed a legally binding contract. I adhered to it. Most crew do. BA are making a tidy profit. Ex chief execs (skippy comes to mind ) are sitting on £100k per yr, for life.... and much much more. For 5 or less yrs service. Even the directors that made HUGE errors are still recieving money from BA. Does the BA mgmt try and change their contract?

Gardening leave anyone.?... I wish!
Whatever one's opinion on unions and striking and capitalism and communism, the above should be a warning to the champions of management. From everything loobtastic has posted in the past, she seems a very dedicated employee and devoted to her customers, the sort of CSD one would love to have on a flight. And given her choice to leave and start a new career, she definately does not seem the stereotypical union activist or nationalised company slouch.

If BA management policies drive the likes of her away, what will BA be left with? I imagine the sort of employees that staff LiarAir and company. Or on my msot recent BA flight, FAs that almost literally threw food at me.

Of course, keep the company profitable, but there must be a better balance. I don't have all the answers, but this just seems another part of the death by a thousand paper cuts.

You get what you pay for. (Well, actually no... if crewing and crew standards do drop, then at F/J prices you really are getting far less.)
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
OT but...

FRANKFURT (AFX) - Deutsche Lufthansa AG said it has its offered a 2.3 pct
pay hike for its 42,000 cabin and ground staff in wage talks with the Ver.di
trade union.
The German flag carrier said it has also proposed a 200 eur one-off payment
for employees and a profit-sharing package.
Ver.di has been calling for a 5.8 pct pay rise.
[email protected]

(emphasis mine)
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
(i) The galley is at the rear of the cabin rather than the front and we are the last barrier before the flight deck door......

(ii) If anyone is sick more than anyone feels is reaonable - then they should be referred to a Company Doctor for a proper assessment and that I think is absolutely proper.

(i) That's the newly locked and strengthened door?

(ii) Good idea. GPs will sign anyone off to get them out of the room - suggest a company doctor and you'd be amazed how many shirkers get better (been there with just such a shirker). For this reason, you can expect the TUs to reject any such suggestion.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Originally Posted by bealine
bealine's bit...
As long as discussions are continuing, the strike will be held off. It is once impasse is reached and dialogue breaks off that the union leaders will give notice of an intent to withdraw labour...
Bealine, thank you for taking the time to update us.

Could you tell me one thing?
Does BASSA still have to give a 7 day warning of a strike date, or did the 7 days kick in from the ballot result, meaning a strike could occur even tomorrow?
The answer could make a huge difference to my travel plans and wallet.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:49 am

Whatever one's opinion on unions and striking and capitalism and communism, the above should be a warning to the champions of management.
Well said, SchmeckFlyer. At BA we had some very good managers, but I'm afraid my fears came true - WW's cuts got rid of most of the good ones but retained the dross who could make the right noises at interviews.

The plain fact is that the entire workforce at BA is ignored by its managers. For the ground staff, the breaking down of barriers sometimes happens during times of disruption, but as soon as it's over, the eyes glaze over and the blockade begins again!

Indeed, some decisions are taken just to p155 off the staff, I'm quite certain. Take staff travel - always the first thing that gets suspended during times of crisis and the recent fog disruption was no exception! Just why BA would want to stop crew who wanted to spend a couple of days wih their family before Christmas, and who were going to occupy seats that would otherwise be empty anyway, beats the hell out of me! Where's the big problem with letting them go to the gate - if the flight's full, they don't go, if we have a no-show they do! Sorted!

No! The best way is to stop staff travel which annoys all the front-line troops!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:58 am

Bealine, thank you for taking the time to update us.

Could you tell me one thing?
Does BASSA still have to give a 7 day warning of a strike date, or did the 7 days kick in from the ballot result, meaning a strike could occur even tomorrow?
The answer could make a huge difference to my travel plans and wallet.
AFAIK, the posting of the ballot's result would usually co-incide with the notice to strike, so we could be looking at action (or lack of it) on 22nd January. However, with such a huge majority supporting strike action, I am quite confident that BA management will thrash this out until it's resolved.

Indeed, the share price is moving upwards this morning (albeit only 2.00p thus far) so I guess investors feel things are moving along positively!

............but then, I always was an optimist!!!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Thanks bealine.

I am still a little confused though - on the 15th the ballot result was overwhelmingly for a strike. Did BASSA actually give notice to strike at that time?

Seems the answer to this could make a big difference to the travel plans of many. If no official notice to strike has yet been given we should all, in theory, have 7 days warning of any impending disruption. Or am I talking cr*p

By the way my flights are on the 22nd, hence the panic.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I know that there really is no comparison - but my friends who are SQ cabin crew always shake their heads in wonder whenever a 'westernised' airline threatens to go on strike. And they always think that 'western' airlines get paid so much better than they are and yet they see this as 'greed'.

Why are they always fighting for more money? They tend to think...

Just to let you in on how the rest of the airline world that cannot afford or permitted to go on strike sees those who can!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:09 am

I know that there really is no comparison - but my friends who are SQ cabin crew always shake their heads in wonder whenever a 'westernised' airline threatens to go on strike. And they always think that 'western' airlines get paid so much better than they are and yet they see this as 'greed'.
I think you will find that in real terms - ie spending power - SQ staff are better off than most Western carriers!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/fleetage.htm

Is there an equivalent of this table for European airlines?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:11 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by bealine
AFAIK, the posting of the ballot's result would usually co-incide with the notice to strike, so we could be looking at action (or lack of it) on 22nd January.
I think what BAg Lady is asking is that if there was to be a strike on say 30th Jan, then would it be obligatory to give notice 7 days prior on 23rd Jan...

Or does the fact that the announcement was made on 15th Jan, gives staff permission to strike anytime after 22nd Jan (and within 28 days of 15th Jan), without giving a further 7 days notice prior to the start of the actual strike date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.