Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by BAg Lady
Figures of between £20 million to £40 million a day were being bandied about on PRuNe, if that is anything to go by.
It's a great idea isnt it..... strike and lose the company more money, in order to stop them trying to save it
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:45 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
If that happens, wouldn't they have to rename the airline Alitalia?
Ok, now I know the reason of M. Spinetta resignment.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:49 am
Suspended

Well, I'm off tonight on my 6 BA flights in the next 12 or so days odyssey. Hoping for the best based on the idea that it will be seven days notice from the date of breakdown of talks and it looks like talks will continue on Friday (assuming I understood that right.)

Even if I get hit, hopefully I'll be in Egypt (or at least DXB) by then and if that's the case I'll just wait the strike out Or, fly home on IB and pick up my ticket in Europe some other time. Getting stuck in MRU, OTOH, would be very problematic, I would think.

Just to show the info that some are being given-- which may start to hurt BA even w/o the strike having started, got this (which we know to be impossible) from the major OneWorld GSA in CAI:
"The BA strike is expected 23 Jan as per BA here in CAI"

Again, I know it's not accurate, but it goes to show the kind of info that's out there that might be hurting sales already if others are being advised equally inaccurately by their local BA offices.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I would much prefer to see you in the F lounge, as opposed to the hospitality tent, on the 6th!
I would prefer to see me in the F lounge as well
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:22 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by latitude
I would prefer to see me in the F lounge as well
And as Mrs Slocombe would say: I am unanimous in that.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by latitude
Eeeek, I've just caught up to this thread and have recently booked some flights 30/31 Jan and 6/7 Feb. Fingers crossed the talks go well.
I originally had some award tickets booked for Feb 5th. Now have moved them forward to Jan 28th. I'm hoping that notice might be given after Tue.. so that these dates would be fine - or else I have to move forward more!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Having recently flown BA again I must say that their crews are the most professional of any that I have seen. While SQ may provide a bit more attentive service, BA delivered a good service in a professional manner. Just too bad a strike has to impact passengers!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:38 am

Galley FM (i.e. idle cabin crew speculation) says that notice was given by BASSA yesterday, that if talks fail, the first walk out will be on the 25th.

However I find this pretty hard to believe given that there's been no annoucement from either the union or BA about this.

Please take with the requisite amount of salt!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:47 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Galley FM (i.e. idle cabin crew speculation) says that notice was given by BASSA yesterday, that if talks fail, the first walk out will be on the 25th.

However I find this pretty hard to believe given that there's been no annoucement from either the union or BA about this.

Please take with the requisite amount of salt!
S**t, is that really true? I'm fying to DXB on the 25th!!!! aarrgghhhhhh!!!!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Thanks for ruining my day Dave... flying out to SFO in F on an 2-4-1 on the 25th.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:52 am

I am not trying to ruin anyones day! It is only a RUMOUR that I have heard from cabin crew. Please take it as such until it is confirmed, or far more likely dismissed. However I thought it was worth posting as it seems to coincide with what some other posters have heard.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:59 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
just called BAEC, who advised that they are not aware of any notice being given. so, fingers crossed.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:12 am

I had it officially confirmed last night that no notice has yet been given so the earliest date for a strike would be 7 days from the day talks break down!

Given the strength of the vote, both sides are keen to reach a compromise. (The rumour mill has it, though, that the City has told Willie Walsh he must "break the union"! If that is, indeed, the case - we had better all watch out!)
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:52 am

discussions on going

Originally Posted by bealine
I had it officially confirmed last night that no notice has yet been given so the earliest date for a strike would be 7 days from the day talks break down!

Given the strength of the vote, both sides are keen to reach a compromise. (The rumour mill has it, though, that the City has told Willie Walsh he must "break the union"! If that is, indeed, the case - we had better all watch out!)
Do not fret as of yet, the trade union is still in talks with BA ^ the last message on the notice board from the Union website read:

"Last night BA asked us to give a final position for them to respond to. After many hours of discussion your Branch Committee gave a response on every item and if agreed by BA we believe this will allow us to return to you the membership in a positive frame of mind - we now await BA's response. We might add our position was balanced and fair and gave an overall position of fairness and a need to move forward. If their response is in the negative, then we will have an immediate conversation with both Jack Dromey (who gave you all his personal resolve at Monday's meeting) and Tony Woodley to issue the requirement for a series of 3 days of Industrial Action that our ballot so emphatically delivered. BASSA"

So please ignore Galley FM, a lot of rumours circulate that have no element of truth. I will keep you all updated with the situation.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:18 am

Thanks, globesurfer - your posting of facts are appreciated!

The messages sound positive - let's hope for a "win-win" result, eh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.