Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
You are assuming that our girlies would not become gibbering wrecks during an incident. Experience suggests that that is not an entirely valid assumption.
Even if this were to happen amongst any BA crew, hopefully it would be balanced by the longer experience and greater maturity of the older members of the cabin crew. I vote for that mix, even if john11111111111 would prefer to have only the girlies.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:00 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Even if this were to happen amongst any BA crew, hopefully it would be balanced by the longer experience and greater maturity of the older members of the cabin crew.
As it hopefully would be with a SQ crew and their older members...
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Even if this were to happen amongst any BA crew, hopefully it would be balanced by the longer experience and greater maturity of the older members of the cabin crew. I vote for that mix, even if john11111111111 would prefer to have only the girlies.
I'm not saying they should all be in their twenties, there should still be one or two senior ones on each flight in case of a crisis (I've seen one crisis - which was medical - since I started flying -probably 500-ish flights). But in general it should not be regarded by default as a life-long career.

I do believe there are marginal safety benefits to an elderly crew. But other than BA and some American airlines most of the world's airlines in so-called less sophisticated countries think these are outweighed by the benefits for customers and the economic benefits to the airline of a more youthful crew who will move on after a few years.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by john11111111111
To be an air hostess is a job that is most appropriate for women (men) in their twenties before they settle down. On most airlines I travel (Czech, Thai, Singapore etc) this is clearly what happens. The idea of making it a 40-year career to keep getting promoted to the stage where you get Ł54000 is just ridiculous. However good the elderly women (and sometimes men) on BA are at their jobs, that is not what passengers or the company need or want.
I think you're treading on very dangerous ground here. For one thing, you're projecting what you perceive to be the desires of a few passengers onto an entire traveling public, and assuming that airlines should fit their hiring practices accordingly. This is not fair.

Believe it or not, FAs are not there to look good, they are not there to fulfil the subconscious fetishistic desires of dirty old men and women. They are there to ensure that passengers are safe and comfortable and well-taken-care-of in the event of an emergency.

Trust me, just because an FA is 28 does not mean s/he makes the flight any more comfortable. I have been served by plenty of younger useless FAs who believe they are God's gift to humanity and plenty of older extremely competent FAs who have made the experience wonderful.

Why should FAs not expect to be promoted through the ranks and make a decent living? Because you don't believe their job to be important enough? Because you don't believe they deserve it? You're really going to have to explain yourself on this one.

I would compare it to working behind the bar in a nightclub - an enjoyable and glamorous job when you're young, for a few years, but your body's not going to be able to take it your whole working life, nor should it. Often I get on board a BA flight and look around quite shocked at the age profile of crew, which is completely inappropriate for the job.
What makes you an expert on the appropriate age to be (or stop being) an FA? Do you know something that the CAA/FAA don't? Tell us all about your experiences of being an FA, since you seem to know how the human body can handle the demands of the position.

And who are you to tell people that they are only suited to work in a certain job for a set number of years? By the way, that's illegal in the EU, the US and many other countries round the world.

Another point - staff from the "new" countries are much less jaded and therefore provide an enhanced experience for passengers. I don't buy the argument that they wouldn't know how to react in an emergency, they are all well trained.
This is a huge, sweeping generalisation which, if I were you, I would reconsider ASAP.

I'm not saying they should all be in their twenties, there should still be one or two senior ones on each flight in case of a crisis (I've seen one crisis - which was medical - since I started flying -probably 500-ish flights). But in general it should not be regarded by default as a life-long career.
Oh, so now it's okay to keep "a few senior ones" because they deal better with emergencies? Just above you said that being an FA as a lifetime career was inappropriate. Which is it?

I do believe there are marginal safety benefits to an elderly crew. But other than BA and some American airlines most of the world's airlines in so-called less sophisticated countries think these are outweighed by the benefits for customers and the economic benefits to the airline of a more youthful crew who will move on after a few years.
Mate, you've got some twisted ideas about how the world works. Again, you're assuming that every passenger is going to feel better served by younger crew. Even if this were legal (which it's not), it's simply not true - except for maybe the warped, sexist, domineering subset of society which you believe represents the general travelling public. Which it does not.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Interesting thing about being 'jaded'. The CEO of Silverjet (ex BA) has publicly stated that he will refuse to hire anyone with more than 18 months experience of being cabin crew at another airline. Reason? Doesn't want people "set in their ways."
Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well of course not - they've got to go off and have babies and settle down and be a live at home mother... Imagine it, gels thinking they can have a career
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The "'we' want 'hotties' serving our flight" and its complement "no, 'we' don't" soliloquies are often enough cheap entertainment, but BA and the union's engaging in like kinds of (non-result-yielding) "talks" won't be cheap:

Analysts said the strike action could cost the airline between 10 million pounds and 15 million pounds ($20 million and $30 million) a day.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070128/...ZuBHNlYwMxNjk0
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:41 am

And I would much prefer this, on a daily basis, to the gibbering wrecks that that some of the SQ girlies reportedly became during the TPE accident.
Your comment is extremely out of line. I suggest you obtain a copy of the accident report before making such accusatory comments about the actions of the Cabin Crew on this flight.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:40 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "'we' want 'hotties' serving our flight" and its complement "no, 'we' don't" soliloquies are often enough cheap entertainment, but BA and the union's engaging in like kinds of (non-result-yielding) "talks" won't be cheap:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070128/...ZuBHNlYwMxNjk0
Given BA and the TGWU have been in talks for a third day, I very much doubt they've just been trading insults about cabin crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.