Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Raffles
I would have taken 266 days sick-leave by now .....
Assuming a 5-day week, 6 weeks holiday, 8 public holidays and not allowing for the period between Christmas and New Year, that would be ... um, one year, one month and two weeks.

Would that be median or average?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Just had a very nice conversation with a BA Call Centre agent, and they said that they felt that three consecutive week strikes were very unlikely as they didn't think there would be a BA left and therefore the Cabin Crew wouldn't get what they wanted. They said to wait until wednesday where the flight schedule for the affected dates will be released.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by TamtheBam
I think that BA may just have had enough with the Cabin Crew!! They do have a challenging job, however, they really must begin to understand that their position is becoming less and less powereful.

Yes, BA will suffer financial and brand damage during this dispute, however, they may well recognise that as a sound investment to find a long term resolution to the outdated / Spanish practices followed by the Cabin Crew.

Staff levels higher that any other Western airline, unacceptable sickness levels, concerns over working for hours that they are paid!!! This isn't acceptable and must be sorted out now!!

Go Willie!
It might be unrealistic... but I wonder if BA can go the way of SQ did a few years back when the pilots union threatened a strike...

The PM (of Singapore) stepped in and said, sure.. bankrupt the airline. We'll start the airline from scratch and all you pilots will be laid off and will have to be hired again from the bottom up....take your pick.

There was no strike.

BA can do the same maybe? There are thousands of new Polish, Romanians and other eastern European citizens who would gladly take the job of the FAs for a less than a quarter of what they are demanding now...

Maybe we can start with a brand new BA identity too....
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think the folks on here have already rebranded it LondonAir.

(Is that with or without a break between "London" and "Air"?)
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
I think the folks on here have already rebranded it LondonAir.

(Is that with or without a break between "London" and "Air"?)
That'll be London Airways to you!!!

Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
It might be unrealistic... but I wonder if BA can go the way of SQ did a few years back when the pilots union threatened a strike...

The PM (of Singapore) stepped in and said, sure.. bankrupt the airline. We'll start the airline from scratch and all you pilots will be laid off and will have to be hired again from the bottom up....take your pick.

There was no strike.

BA can do the same maybe? There are thousands of new Polish, Romanians and other eastern European citizens who would gladly take the job of the FAs for a less than a quarter of what they are demanding now...

Remember the US Air Traffic Controllers? Same thing there. The other question for BA is would the pilots and ground staff come out in sympathy? Also, how long is it going to take BA to get the CAA(?) to approve the new CC? And what will happen in the meantime?

Most likely we're heading for a compromise, but will that resolve it once and for all? Or leave it smouldering for another go in a year or two?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by PhilH
That'll be London Airways to you!!!

Sorry Phil. I thought, you know - British Air would become London Air...

You folks are so picky about the "ways" bit
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:51 pm

I believe that bealine's point was that the money to fund the 6m fares marketing gimmick has to come from somewhere, and that place is most likely to be from the pockets of staff and from the services offered to passengers (whichever they can most easily get away with).
Exactly my point - and BA is trying to fund the cheap fares bonanza from both sources!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
More likely, if the rumours are true

'Anglo-Arabian Airways'.

Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
You folks are so picky about the "ways" bit
It's the name of the airline...British Airways...
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
More likely, if the rumours are true

'Anglo-Arabian Airways'.

Ahhh, so that's why Emirates is ordering 40 something A380's? Always had be puzzled.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by tom139
It's the name of the airline...British Airways...
Sorry tom, I suppose I should have put *** SARCASM ALERT*** on my post.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:08 pm

There was no strike.

Staff levels are higher due to BA having far more managers than any other airline.

Do you really have such a low opinion of Eastern Europeans as to say they would work for a quarter of the salary!! you are a disgrace!!

Please tell me you are going to start flying with another airline....
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Since the average salary in Poland is 316 quid per month (source: BBC) then it would be logical that a BA cabin crew member based in Poland would be pretty happy to earn this much.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by washbag
Staff levels are higher due to BA having far more managers than any other airline.

Do you really have such a low opinion of Eastern Europeans as to say they would work for a quarter of the salary!! you are a disgrace!!

Please tell me you are going to start flying with another airline....

The Eastern European builder who costs a quarter of his/her English counterpart (and who likely does a better job, and more quickly to boot) is legendary in Britain.

Okay, the comment was a bit blunt, but the fact remains...

Oh how I would love to see the Mail get ahold of THAT one if it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.