Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by shawbridge
Flew coach last month and was upgraded to World Traveller Plus. I was "comfortably" seated next to some very pleasant pensions flying from LHR to BOS and the purser (I think) came back and asked if I wouldn't be more comfortable in WT+. I said yes, and he brought me to an aisle seat in an empty row. Then he brought another Gold passenger up to the other end of the aisle, with two empty seats in between. Aaaah.
My wife and I got UG from WT+ to NCW flying back from DFW to LGW last Saturday. Me gold she no status got E and F seats but I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies First time in all my US flights I have been UG FROM the US though.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Well luckily I didn't need to buy up. Flew in jeans and a jacket for the first time in as long as I can remember (I'm normally suited and booted) and got an OpUp at checkin.

Missed OLCI and turned up at the desk with a travelling companion. Asked for some aisle seats next to each other and were told there weren't even seats next to each other in the back. A quick phone call later without me even asking and we were offered two seats in WTP with a vacant one next to us.

Boarding cards were marked "Invol Upgrade" but not quite sure why she bothered as I can't think of any restriction an invol OpUp to WTP would have over a purchased WTP ticket (miles/points apart).

Flight back was my first in NNCW. Needless to say the IFE hung, the tray wouldn't pop open, two neighbouring seats weren't working and whenever I moved on my flat bed it sprung back to the reclined position without the motor doing anything... but still better than anything else we've seen.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:23 am

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, SPG, Hilton, BMI, Air France, Virgin, Hilton, Sofitel
Upgrade from WT+ to F

I was travelling with a colleague (he worked for me) from NY to LHR. My assistant in UK had accidentally booked me WT+ not C. My colleague got bumped to F, then he had a word with the CSD and I got asked to move to F. Sometimes it can happen.

And once, some time ago, obviously, I arrived at LHR *VERY* early for a flight to NY; check-in asked if I'd mind going 30 minutes later as my flight was full, and I said no problem, 30 minutes could easily be spent at the end of the runway waiting for clearance. Then they told me that I was going on Concorde....and got there before the other flight anyway....
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:31 am

Ursidom - welcome to FT!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, SPG, Hilton, BMI, Air France, Virgin, Hilton, Sofitel
Thanks

This is a most interesting discussion. I fly every week, mostly in "J" in Europe, and note that generally, there seems to be little an individual can do to influence an upgrade, apart from get to Gold or Elite. Again though, last year I was upgraded from Business to First (along with a couple of other GoldMembers) from India, but only as we boarded the plane. Thanks for the welcome.
On another slightly related point, I missed a connection in CDG recently (and Air France were not terribly helpful) so booked to Stockholm next day via Dusseldorf with LH. When I got on the plane (it was a late booking) the CSD apologised for no hot meal on the CDG-Dusseldorf leg, and I thought nothing of it. I was quite surprised therefore to receive an e-mail from LH apologising for the lack of a hotmeal, and inviting me to spend 50 pounds (sterling) on a meal and send them the receipt for reimbursement. Now that's a nice touch.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, US Airways Silver, SAA Blue, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott Silver
upgrades from Y

I've been upgraded 3 times in the last 2 months, travelling on Y all three times. Got bumped to W (CPT - LHR) after asking LOL. Then for a flight to JFK got bumped to WT+ at checkin and CW at the gate. And got an upgrade to the upper deck on Sat coming back from JFK to LHR :-)
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Thumbs up Lucky Me!!

Recently flew LHR-MRU on WT+ got upgraded to NGCW on the way out and then FIRST on the way back^. Not bad for my first flights with BA for a very long time. I think i may be flying with Ba bit more often now

THANK YOU BA!!

Last edited by baileysserpant; Jul 18, 2007 at 8:35 am
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
First ever SH UG with BA!

I've been a BA silver for about 10 years (gold for one of those) and fly a few times a month to Europe and a few times a year to US (almost always in Y).

Until last week I've never had a SH UG from ET to CE, plenty of LH UGs at either end over the years. Anyway, broke my duck on a morning flight to CDG last week when I got an op up at the gate to 1F. Unfortunately I'd set my expectations too high thinking there might be a cooked breakfast on offer but it was pleasant enough.

All in all it was an strangely lucky travel day, no traffic on m4, no security Q in T4 (at 9am) on time flight, UG, and pretty much the same on the way home (I was already booked into CE). Only glitch was being rejected again by the Iris machine (my retinas must have warped or something). I must have used up all my good travel karma in one shot.

Now that I've renewed silver for another year I was planning on avoiding travelling on BA until T5 opens (or at least until my membership year restarts in October) given the awful last year or so at LHR...however this trip has rose tinted my specs again...

Last edited by BitPipe; Jul 18, 2007 at 11:44 am Reason: fat fingers
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BitPipe
Until last week I've never had a SH UG from WT to CE
You still haven't had one of those...it's technically impossible
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:59 pm
Bukhara

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Old Jul 18, 2007, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bukhara
Unless you've been an unfortunate who has been shafted on the way to TLV from time to time.
LOL. Good call Now, the question is would one count that as an upgrade or a downgrade?!?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Arrived in LGW lounge on Sunday after a fractious trip down from MAN. Presented my J BP and was told my seat had been changed for the trip to IAH.

Thought about coming over all irate for a few seconds at the thought of being moved from aisle to middle seat when I was presented with a BP for 3K!

My colleage followed on the same flight next day. When he got on board, he found someone sitting in his seat with a BP for the seat as well. He went to see the FA who moved him up to F. As she was showing him his seat, she said "I hope that's OK, Mr White". He said "I'm not Mr White, I'm Mr Black" at which point he was whisked back into J and the other passenger was moved up to F. God was he pi$$ed off when I met him at IAH.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thegoderic

My colleage followed on the same flight next day. When he got on board, he found someone sitting in his seat with a BP for the seat as well. He went to see the FA who moved him up to F. As she was showing him his seat, she said "I hope that's OK, Mr White". He said "I'm not Mr White, I'm Mr Black" at which point he was whisked back into J and the other passenger was moved up to F. God was he pi$$ed off when I met him at IAH.
Just goes to show, things are never as black and white as they seem
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by thegoderic
He said "I'm not Mr White, I'm Mr Black" at which point he was whisked back into J and the other passenger was moved up to F. God was he pi$$ed off when I met him at IAH.
Someone needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut!!!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There must be some kind of policy. In January I declined an invol u/g at the gate from WT to WT+. I wasn't travelling with my girlfriend (individual PNR's, although supposedly linked) and we wanted to sit together and they wouldn't/couldn't u/g her.

When we got on the flight someone was already sitting in my aisle WT seat. I told him it was my allocated seat, but that he would likely get my WT+ seat. I called a cabin crew member over, who as I thought moved the gentleman up to WT+.

Ten minutes later just as we are about to push back, I see the same gentleman being taken to the back of the plane and seated in the middle of the middle seat section, the WT+ seat remained empty for the rest of the flight. Either he said/did something wrong, which I doubt or just ran out of luck. He was foreign looking which probably didn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.