Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Has anyone ever received an op-up when on an MFU? (eg. paid for WT+ used miles to get to CW, and then at checkin told you are in F)
Kind of - it was an OB upgrade redemption, as opposed to a BA miles one.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Come come, now, terpfan101 - that's in the guide itself as an actual question down at the end there!
runs from the prod. I didn't think there would be many yes answers so I thought I'd ask. Interesting to know it's a possibility, as I'd likely never travel First otherwise.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Apart from those bought with a shareholder discount...
Aren't the D fares not upgradeable either? As in the super cheap WT+ fare sale ones. I remember them from a while back but haven't ever purchased any.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
According to lyndsey (apologies if I have spelt that wrong.. ) they should all be...including the big red D ones.
I am sure someone else will know the link where she made the post regarding it..
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Chances of OpUp LHR - MIA (WT+ to Biz)

I am flying to MIA from LHR in full fare fully flex WT+, (my company are too cheap to buy me a biz ticket). Does anyone know what the chances are of an OpUp. My ticket was booked via a TA, and I am BAEC Gold.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
If your flight shows plenty of availability in J/C/D/I and W0Y0, I'd say high. Otherwise, low.

Cheers,
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
If your flight shows plenty of availability in J/C/D/I and W0Y0, I'd say high. Otherwise, low.
I'd have thought the critical part of this was the latter bit. They're not going to upgrade the OP just because he is a Gold, unless they don't have enough space in WT+. On a busy flight, however, op-ups from WT+ seem to be quite common, often as a knock-on effect from op-ups from an oversold WT cabin. Most of those in WT+ probably won't have status at all, let alone be Golds, so he should be at the front of the list, but I've been op-upped from WT+ when I was only a Blue so they can do whatever is convenient at the time.

Having said all that, I think should apologize for just stating the obvious. If the OP wants a numerical answer, my stab in the dark would be 25%. If anyone has any statistics on this (proportion of Golds in WT+ that get op-ups) then I'd be happy to be corrected.

If the OP concludes the chance of an op-up is high, a good strategy might be to wait to see if one happens, then pay for an onboard upgrade if it doesn't. Of course, if CW is full this won't work.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
As a Gold who always has to fly in WT+, I have noticed that my Op-Up rate has dropped markedly in the last 6 months. A year ago my op-up rate was consistently about 30%, now it is down to about 10% of flights. This may well be pure chance, but I have also wondered whether BA has changed the way that it manages overbooking in Wt and WT+.

I am travelling tonight HKG-LHR on a flight that is Y0 but J4 and F4, so I'll let you know!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: GGL
Flying MIA-LHR tomorrow in WT+

Anyone know what the onboard upgrade fee would be?

MMB now show 1600
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by bedasaka
I am flying to MIA from LHR in full fare fully flex WT+, (my company are too cheap to buy me a biz ticket). ....... I am BAEC Gold.
How do you manage to get to Gold through flying WT+ ? It must take an awful lot of flying.....in which case what's so special about upgrading this time ?

Although the difference between a prebooked fully flexible WT+ and a retricted Club ticket may not be more than a couple of hundred pounds I doubt that this would translate into an upgrade for a couple of hundred pounds, if it did far more people would book WT+ for the flexibility and then upgrade on the day - there would be no reason to book a flexible Club ticket (unless you had to be absolutely sure of a seat in Club).

You get the lounge access with your Gold Card - can't belive you have never flown Club before - did you really find it so wonderful that you'd rather spend your money sitting in a more comfortable seat for a few hours than on staying in a really wonderful hotel, going to superb restaurants and making the most of your time in Miami?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625473
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
As a Gold who always has to fly in WT+, I have noticed that my Op-Up rate has dropped markedly in the last 6 months. A year ago my op-up rate was consistently about 30%, now it is down to about 10% of flights. This may well be pure chance, but I have also wondered whether BA has changed the way that it manages overbooking in Wt and WT+.

I am travelling tonight HKG-LHR on a flight that is Y0 but J4 and F4, so I'll let you know!
They sometimes prioritise upgrades towards non-Golds. I don't know why but I know it happens. It has happened to me personally. ie 2 people travelling as Gold - no op-up. Two travelling as Blue - got the op-ups. Both bookings made at the same time, in the same way. Both checked in at the same time in the same way. It's hard to know for sure but BA seems to do this more than the other OW airlines. The upgrade 'cleared' before getting to the airport so it wasn't last minute either.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Caymanian
How do you manage to get to Gold through flying WT+ ? It must take an awful lot of flying.....
I guess you answered your own question. I got Gold by mainly flying UK Dom - loads and loads of flights + a couple of paid CW and CEs.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
How do you manage to get to Gold through flying WT+ ? It must take an awful lot of flying.....in which case what's so special about upgrading this time ?

can't belive you have never flown Club before - did you really find it so wonderful that you'd rather spend your money sitting in a more comfortable seat for a few hours than on staying in a really wonderful hotel, going to superb restaurants and making the most of your time in Miami?
I’m sure there are plenty of people out there that retain their Gold membership through flying WT+.
You need to do less then one return trip a month, and that is if you are registered in the UK/US.

As to what the OP would rather spend his money on, it's a personal choice, and he may well be able to do both!

The difference between WT+ and Club is not just a more comfortable seat, and on a long flight...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
How do you manage to get to Gold through flying WT+ ? It must take an awful lot of flying
There are a few of us who have done it (and keep it) this way. It does take a lot of flying. Makes those rare upgrades all the more special.

So much for my test of whether I would get an upgrade to day - BA26 is running 14 hours late, so now I'm stuck in a hotel in Hong Kong. I guess a few lucky passengers will score transfers onto other flights, which rules out my (slim) chances of an upgrade. Ho-hum. I do at least have 28B.

Re prioritising non-Golds - yes, it does feel like this, and my experience (anecdotally) supports it. I don't understand why they would do this though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.