Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
What are peoples experiences with MFU at Check in? If there's space in J and you have a WT+ ticket, can you simply use 12,500 miles to upgrade when you arrive at the airport?
In a word, no.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Booooooooooo

You'd think they'd a be happy to take the miles from you if the cabin was not full

Although I guess they'd be worried that everyone would take their chances on space being available to save themselves 800 quid
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
First LH with my new Gold Card today, LHR-BOM, and a nice op-up from 62K to 1K! Sweet! This was from an OnBusiness upgrade from W, as well. Flight had been zeroed out for days, so no surprise that opups were needed - just nice to be a beneficiary. And then the first officer tries to get into my hotel room! There's a shortage of NS rooms, apparently, and they'd given us the same room assignment.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Teece
And then the first officer tries to get into my hotel room!
Quite a few BA FTers might find such an event as fulfilment of sme of their dreams!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Quite a few BA FTers might find such an event as fulfilment of sme of their dreams!
*Blink*

Is that a Gold perk too??

Cap70
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
*Blink*

Is that a Gold perk too??

Cap70

Golds get both flight crew & cabin crew knocking on their doors.
Silvers get just cabin crew.
And Blues get the LHR baggage handlers.

Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Indeed!

Golds get both flight crew & cabin crew knocking on their doors.
Silvers get just cabin crew.
And Blues get the LHR baggage handlers.

So... let me get this str8, in a manner of speaking... As you start as a Blue you get the brawn ^ of the handlers, and as a Silver, the sheer charm and loveliness :-: of the mostly female c/c, and then you move on to a Golden free-for-all with anything that walks ?

I shudder (in a good way of course!) to think what Prems will get!

Cap70
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
First BA upgrade ever!

Hi,

I had OLCI'd my CW flight from PHX to LHR ( MFU'd from WT+) the night before.

When I went to drop my bags of at PHX last night, the check in agent said that they had to change my seat. but it was to a better seat! and handed me a boarding pass for 3A^

This was my first upgrade on BA ever so I was extremely delighted by the upgrade.

FIRST on the BA 288 was full for the overnight flight back to LHR ( landed 35 mins early and got to the stand 20mins early and was in the T!Dom lounge 40mins after that ( thanks to Fast Track at the FCC) but shortly after that the queues seemed to increase again.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:37 am

We have a letter from BA promising us an upgrade to the next available class next time we fly (due to us being downgraded on our honeymoon in July)..

We fly (economy) with BA from MAN to JFK in January and need to ring the BA call centre 48 hours before we fly to see if there are available seats in the next class (World Traveller Plus) for us and BA promise to upgrade.

Has anyone had similar letters from BA ? What was your success rates for an upgrade ?

Do you think that we would get upgraded to first if there were no seats in WPT available or if we got a generous call centre advisor ?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
You definitely won't get upgraded to FIRST, it doesn't exist MAN-JFK which is a 3 class 767 (WT/WT+/CW).

I think you're mad to try and use the Space Available Upgrade (which is not too uncommon as service recovery, so BA aren't stringing you along) for WT to WT+. You'd be far better saving it for a paid/miles WT+ booking to get upgraded to Club - that would be so much more valuable.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by mrmarf
We have a letter from BA promising us an upgrade to the next available class next time we fly (due to us being downgraded on our honeymoon in July)..

We fly (economy) with BA from MAN to JFK in January and need to ring the BA call centre 48 hours before we fly to see if there are available seats in the next class (World Traveller Plus) for us and BA promise to upgrade.

Has anyone had similar letters from BA ? What was your success rates for an upgrade ?

Do you think that we would get upgraded to first if there were no seats in WPT available or if we got a generous call centre advisor ?
Nah, they'd simply bump WT+ passengers forward, As G-BOAC says, get WT+ seats and upgrade to Club
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mrmarf

As other posters have said this is common service recovery. Experience makes me think this is now normal for downgrades and for full-fare CW pax without EC status who are denied seats or asked to take a later flight because of traffic.

Colleague at work had two one-way upgrades on a service recovery letter. Booked family holiday for four people in WTP and all four flew FIRST LHR to the far east. The letters work, don't waste them on WT/WT+ up's if you can afford anything else.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well another good upgrade tale... got in quite a few discount ET flights since my last LH so was expecting the worst...

LHR JFK on my normal choice, BA173, flying with the better half on her 3rd ever flight on her BAEC (Blue). Booked in H (WT discount but changeable if you pay the fee). Got to the checkin desk, waved out of the queue to the empty club desk, "ah yes, your flights looking a little full sir, all these pax doing OLCI, well I've got you two seats here, aisle and window in WTP". Op up and not marked "invol". Thank goodness, WT on a 777 LH is not pleasant.

Flew back on the customary BA112, JFK LHR. checkin clerk muttered "SFU" so I asked about an upgrade. Empty flight, no movement... checked in and *told* to go to ticket sales. Thought this was odd so went along... ticket sales tried to do me two free MtoW at their own suggestion but it was overruled by the gate supervisor. Paid up MtoW to WTP at $250 each, bargain. Ticket sales tried to take their time to see if WTP would fill and they could then call for a movement to CW... no such luck, told me to ask the gate for an op up as he'd SFU'd the GF too now. Asked at the gate as suggested, nice lady put me on to the gate supervisor from hell who realised I was the pax she'd been asked about earlier, told me off for asking and threatened to get ticket sales bloke fired... she was very rude... eventually got out of her that the flight wasn't full enough for any movement.

Just goes to show there's always one in a bad mood...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: BA miles BMI Virgin Qantas
Can i use my MFU on a discount fare?

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Welcome to the new 'ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread'. This thread is designed to go alongside the new:

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Guide - For All Your Upgrade Questions!

thread. That one is locked so it doesn't become too overwhelming for new posters. It is designed to be 'catch-all' FAQ about the dreaded U-word In this thread, we can all ask new questions, share experiences and 'success' stories and hopefully weed out any new useful FAQs to make their way in to the 'master' FAQ over time.

Take it away, proud winner of the first 'new' OpUp...
Hi Can anyone tell me if i buy a WT+ ticket in the annual BA sale can i use it for MFU, in other words can i use a discount ticket and upgrade useing my miles?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by sally c
Hi Can anyone tell me if i buy a WT+ ticket in the annual BA sale can i use it for MFU, in other words can i use a discount ticket and upgrade useing my miles?
Yes. All WT+ fares can be MFU'd to Club.

BAH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.