Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by RayG
I would say there is no availability at the moment.
This is by no means certain - I would search online for availability (by trying to book a seat using only miles), and if so, give BA a call asap - regardless of the weather.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
LHR-JNB on the night of the freezing fog just before Christmas: J -> F for the two of us, at the gate.

What was particularly nice was that we'd MFUd from W to J when the strike was cancelled and suddenly there was award availability all over the place, and the mileage cost of the MFU was exactly the amount of the "sorry" deposited into my account.

Oh, and sitting in F did rather blunt the pain of the 4-hour wait for deicing.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Upgrade Percentages.... some boring maths

Just wondering - what are peoples upgrade percentages? (I had a bit of time this afternoon...) Interesting to see if people are higher or lower etc.

For me: 210 sectors (since I've been counting) with only 2 upgrades (BA Y->J as Gold and GB Airways ET->CE as Silver), so upgrade one in every hundred flights.

About 50% have been on BA metal.
About 75% have been OW.
About 70% have had some form of elite status while flying
About 75% have had a possibility of an upgrade (ie higher cabin exists)

So basically my upgrade rate on flights where an upgrade is possible and I've had some form of elite status is in the order of 2%. With the amount of flights I take, I should expect 1 or 2 upgrades a year. Y -> J TATL was pretty spectacular (two of us as well) but would like to see more J -> F .

So is that high? low? Should one expect more/less or expect anything at all? Anyone know what it is in the airline industry as a whole?

Last edited by YClass; Jan 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

For me, in my last 100 flights (which admittedly takes us back a few years), I have had 1 upgrade so that is 1%.

Those remembering my TR will remember it was a J -> F on LHR to BOS.

I am a lowly blue on this board.

On AZ, I have flown once and I was upgraded to business, so I have a 100% upgrade rate with Alitalia!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; Jan 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:11 pm

I'd guess that of about 120-150 BA sectors I have taken (and that's a real guess, it could be more), 0 upgrades. so that's 0%
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:16 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dirty_Idea
I'd guess that of about 120-150 BA sectors I have taken (and that's a real guess, it could be more), 0 upgrades. so that's 0%
similar story for me and I have done many ore sectors. Mind you I'm usually in business, so CW - F upgrades are rarer
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: None
Haven't got the exact numbers (left laptop with flight log on it at work) but roughly in the last 7 or so years when I've been either gold or silver....

Short Haul

Y > CE 2 out of 20 (10%)

Long Haul

Y > W 1 out of 1 (100% !!!!)
W > J 12 out of 50 (24%)
J > F 1 out of 20 (5%)

I've only included paid for flights (not miles or MFUs) where an op-up is a possibility.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WeleaseBwian
I've only included paid for flights (not miles or MFUs) where an op-up is a possibility.
Rarer perhaps, but not impossible. Mrs Rotorhead and I enjoyed a nice J > F upgrade LHR-SIN on a miles booking a couple of years back. Mind you that was a bit weird - we had the SS treatment at checkin and were told that they were sorry that they couldn't upgrade us (we managed to take that with looks of mild dissapointment rather than letting our jaws hit the ground) then in the lounge I was called to the desk and presented with reprinted boarding cards for F Perhaps that doesn't count as an op-up?!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Almost all of my last 100 paid flights are in CE of Dom, so none, ever.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
my BA op-up percentage for long haul flights is 17%.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Silver;
Originally Posted by Dirty_Idea
Pretty similar to me. I'm a solid (fairly high Gold - currently 89 - thanks to looking over the lounge dragon's shoulder at GF the other day) do around 120-150 sectors per year mainly in J longhaul, or a mix of J and Y in Europe, and in the last few years I have had precisely 0 upgrades.

Four years ago I got lucky however (when I was a lowly Silver status), with upgrades from WT to WT+ on both sectors of a return to Hong Kong (a long weekend trip for a stag weekend, so would have slept anywhere on the return )

Wife with Blue status and my wonderful mother-in-law have both been upgraded twice in the last couple of years, both J to F...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last 2 years longhaul, 50% J to F. Shrthaul around 5%.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Zero percent for me.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by YClass
So basically my upgrade rate on flights where an upgrade is possible and I've had some form of elite status is in the order of 2%. With the amount of flights I take, I should expect 1 or 2 upgrades a year. Y -> J TATL was pretty spectacular (two of us as well) but would like to see more J -> F .

So is that high? low? Should one expect more/less or expect anything at all? Anyone know what it is in the airline industry as a whole?
You should expect (both in theory and in practice) none at all.

If you happen to get one then you are lucky, but you certainly should not be expecting one no matter how many thousands of flights you may take....
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by David-A
You should expect (both in theory and in practice) none at all.

If you happen to get one then you are lucky, but you certainly should not be expecting one no matter how many thousands of flights you may take....
Well, actually, yes you should. OK, time for some really dire stats, full of weak assertions and piss-poor assumptions. If one were to take a straw poll of upgrades per person per sector, I'd hazard that it would come out above the 0.05% or less that "thousands" would suggest. If we assume that BA have no particular favouritism in granting upgrades, a typical punter booking 2,000 flights over the next period should expect (ie. it's more likely to happen than not) an upgrade - in the same way that someone flipping a coin 20 times should expect a head at some point. Not guarantee, but to expect on the balance of probablilty.

Which brings us to the rub. Either we are seeing an atypical population (ie. a handful of really lucky travellers alongside a handful of unlucky ones), or BA have some sort of bias in selecting upgrades, or someone is fibbing. With the number of sectors being flown reported as quite high, the sample set from sectors point of view is pretty good.

So, what is it, an atypical population or are some people more likely to get upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.