Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA143 to Delhi - 20th October.
We had paid for CW tickets in a previous sale, and received the "beep of happiness" at the gate and were handed 2E and 2F. Our first First experience, and it was NF. I couldn't take the smug grin off my face for quite some time - except to drink my Kir Royale.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold, SPG platinum
I apologize if this has been asked before but I could not find the answer to my question.

I have a WT coming up and wanted to
1) Pay to upgrade to WT+ (using Manage My Booking)
2) Use miles to upgrade to CW

Is this feasible? There are availabilities for both ways in CW awards so I guess I will be "forced" to upgrade both ways, correct?

Thanks a lot
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Paid upgrade as in paying the fare difference from your WT fare to a prevailing WT+ fare (watch out for the advance purchase requirements) then MFU is fine. Upgrade from WT to WT+ as a POU/special offer in MMB then MFU isn't.

Since I'm in the thread...BA have been kind to me of late and I've enjoyed a bump from J to F and W to J in the last couple of weeks
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Cedos
... so I guess I will be "forced" to upgrade both ways, correct?
You can upgrade one way if you prefer for half the total miles of a return.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Is this feasible?
Yes, I think so - provided that you upgrade to WT+ by paying the change fee plus the fare difference to the published WT+ fare.

However, AIUI if you use the "special offer" fixed price MMB upgrade (aka POUG) to upgrade to WT+, you will not be able to MFU to CW.
There are availabilities for both ways in CW awards so I guess I will be "forced" to upgrade both ways, correct?
If you only want to upgrade one way, you can now do so.

Given that most (all?) published WT+ fares are combinable with most (all?) WT fares, I think that you could even confine your cash WT -> WT+ upgrade to the sector that you want to MFU, if you're happy to sit in WT in the other direction.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, I think so - provided that you upgrade to WT+ by paying the change fee plus the fare difference to the published WT+ fare.

However, AIUI if you use the "special offer" fixed price MMB upgrade (aka POUG) to upgrade to WT+, you will not be able to MFU to CW.If you only want to upgrade one way, you can now do so.

Given that most (all?) published WT+ fares are combinable with most (all?) WT fares, I think that you could even confine your cash WT -> WT+ upgrade to the sector that you want to MFU, if you're happy to sit in WT in the other direction.
Thanks for your reply

I am fine to sit in WT in one direction but would really like to sit in CW in the other. So I should make sure I upgrade by paying the full WTP fare.

What is the best way to go about this? Call BAEC US line?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
Has anyone been bumped up from J to F at check in/boarding after paying for the exclusive online ba.com upgrade offer?

eg In my case upgraded LHR-ORD, WT+ to J, 399
(KVS a few weeks back showed full economy, 1-2 seats left WT+, 5 seats J and lots of F)
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I've read of it happening.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by funkyr
Has anyone been bumped up from J to F at check in/boarding after paying for the exclusive online ba.com upgrade offer?

eg In my case upgraded LHR-ORD, WT+ to J, 399
(KVS a few weeks back showed full economy, 1-2 seats left WT+, 5 seats J and lots of F)
A colleague of mine was op-up'd at bag drop from WT+ to J and then again at the gate, from J to F. So, Id' not expect it to be common, I can't see any reason why the above might not happen.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
*beep* Upgraded again

Going MAD-LHR. Nice woman at MAD check-in informs me my seat has shifted due to equipment change - they have changed to a smaller aircraft - so now I'm apparently in 13D not 7D. Fair enough.

Then, when I board the scanner goes *beep*, some error message in Spanish I did not catch is displayed and I'm sent to the woman on the other side to deal with it. She checks and says my seat has been changed - and writes my new 7A seat number on the boarding card stub - which to the crew looks really dodgy when I board and they look at my stub

My observation is that BA in their understated Britishness never seem to say at the gate that you have received an op-up, they merely say that your seat has been changed and give you a new BP. I think they should have confetti and a big fanfare but I guess other pax may be jelaous

My other observation is that I never seem to get any op-ups when I really *want* them. It's nice to be in CE back from a business trip at 7PM on a Tuesday but when I really want an op-up is when going to somewhere like MCO on holiday.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
When using MFU to upgrade from WT+ to CW, I understand that there has to be available inventory for CW (an award CW seat available). If MFU upgrade is not available at booking, is there a "waitlist" that you can be put on between booking and date of departure?

Can I enter my AA frequent flyer number into the booking (for OWE benefits and to accrue AA miles), but request a MFU upgrade using BA miles (BAEC Blue)?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
When using MFU to upgrade from WT+ to CW, I understand that there has to be available inventory for CW (an award CW seat available). If MFU upgrade is not available at booking, is there a "waitlist" that you can be put on between booking and date of departure?
No, BA do not do waitlists. You need to manually check availability.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Can I enter my AA frequent flyer number into the booking (for OWE benefits and to accrue AA miles), but request a MFU upgrade using BA miles (BAEC Blue)?
Yes.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by rossmacd
No, BA do not do waitlists. You need to manually check availability.
That is good to know as on AA, they do have a waitlist for upgrade to business from economy.

Is there a pattern for CW availability opening up for MFU? Does it happen more often close to departure date (e.g. a few days before departure) if not enough CW seats are sold as revenue tickets?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I just went to check in for my MUC flight tomorrow as a group of 4 flying very cheap Y with 2 of the group being blue and we have all been moved to CE.

While I have had plenty of J-F WT-J I don't think I have eveer had a CE upgrade in 19 years of membership

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.