Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Date: 9th September
Time: 2040hrs

Having just said goodbye to my girlfriend with a few tears in my eyes and after failing to eat my way through a small pizza from Pizza Hut, I sat down in the departure area watching Gold / Silver / CW / First passengers arriving from the lounges. A lady, alas not among this party, walks towards the gate staff who are preparing for boarding, her boarding card and plastic card in hand. She says to the BA staff that her husband had just received this 'BA Elite card' through the mail and that for some reason she (travelling alone) wasn't upgraded from WT to CW / First. The BA staff look blankly across the queueing line at eachother and the staff dealing with the delinquent browse without much attention at a computer screen and then hand back the husbands card. I catch a glimpse of the Silver card and then the lady says, 'I am afraid that is not possible, would you like a different seat...(lady begins to look pleased)....in World Traveller'. She thens trudges back to her seat in the departure area, boarding card and passport in hand.

</font>
LMAO! A sight I'm very familior with, I've even seen people try it with Blue cards thinking they are some kind of special elite level
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Saw the same episode a while ago and felt exactly the same way. The weirdest thing was the daughter was in J, i.e. she may have been terribly distresssed, but still stuck her elderly mother in Y while she snagged the J seat....what a joke.</font>
How do you know that there were two seats left in Y? Maybe the daughter had no choice but she might have put her Mother first I agree.

Just remember it is not just elite levels who are upgraded. Many are CIPs whose business the airline wants.

Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
At work someone said ...</font>

You have to work!!! Surely not! How can this be true? I shall set up a direct debit to the Fund for Distressed Gentlefolk at once, in the hope of correcting this calamitous situation!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fraisse10:
You have to work!!! Surely not! How can this be true? I shall set up a direct debit to the Fund for Distressed Gentlefolk at once, in the hope of correcting this calamitous situation!</font>
I have been working 44hours a week this summer I'll have you know, thats more than my butler and my personal trainer and my chauffeur and my helicopter pilot

Any donations to the 'Get Fraser in First for the First time in ....ing ages' will be most grateful

Dial 1-800-SILVER-SPOON and have your credit card and bank details ready.

Please Give Generously

&lt;edited due to exceptionally gash spelling&gt;
Thank you Professor Noble

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited 09-11-2003).]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Any donations to the 'Get Fraser in First of the First time in ....ing ages' will be most grateful"

Can I just donate to the collection to get you English Language lessons?

Dave
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Can I just donate to the collection to get you English Language lessons?

Dave
</font>
Oops, going back to the edit suite as I type
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:26 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
How do you know that there were two seats left in Y? Maybe the daughter had no choice but she might have put her Mother first I agree.

Just remember it is not just elite levels who are upgraded. Many are CIPs whose business the airline wants.

</font>
Pucci, the daughter asking if there was any way they could move her *back* to sit with her mother may have been a better way of winning an upgrade... It may work because so few people would dream of doing this, and it's the opposite of pushy.

Incidentally, it's interesting to read this thread, with its early comments about pax on US-based carriers thinking they have a god-given right to an upgrade. Our little community congratulates themselves on not taking upgrades for granted, then tie themselves in knots getting upset about non-status people being upgraded over shiny-card holders.

In my experience, the likelihood of a given individual being upgraded by BA has a lot more to do with their personality and manners than their status or fare basis. (there is a knack to winning upgrades, but in contrast to the poor lady with her newspaper clipping, it's difficult to reduce this to a scientific process)

Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by baobab:
In my experience, the likelihood of a given individual being upgraded by BA has a lot more to do with their personality and manners than their status or fare basis. (there is a knack to winning upgrades, but in contrast to the poor lady with her newspaper clipping, it's difficult to reduce this to a scientific process)
</font>
We have a couple of trainers at work who quite often get upgraded just by asking a check in, normally flying on BA or KLM. Neither have any status (they don't see the point). Last time I had the sheer audacity to politely ask if an upgrade was possible I was shocked into never doing so again by the rudest airline employee I’ve ever encountered.

Edited for a minor language improvement.

[This message has been edited by Internaut (edited 09-14-2003).]
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:06 am

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
FWIW,

I've been upgraded at the gate to CW three of my last eight flights out of LHR. Not an amazing rate, but I did notice some similiarities in all three incidents:

1) WT+ had a few families, including babies, and WT was pretty full. CW was 50% or so.

2) I was travelling alone, dressed in business casual (oxford shirt, nice pants, polished shoes).

3) The gate agent was an older female.

4) I asked for nothing, just smiled and handed them my ticket (out a nice leather travel / passport holder for what its worth).

5) I checked in after nearly everyone else was on board (had come directly from the lounge).

In comparison, on my other flights I was a bit harried, travelling with others, carrying a McDonald's bag, in tennis shoes, or wearing a soccer jersey.

Ok, so they probably book these well in advance, no two are the same, etc. I just thought I'd mention that I kind of looked and acted like a "professional" business traveller on those occasions when I got upgraded and didn't play "do you know who I am". Not sure if it made a difference, but thought it was worth noting.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idiparker:
FWIW,

I've been upgraded at the gate to CW three of my last eight flights out of LHR. Not an amazing rate, but I did notice some similiarities in all three incidents:

1) WT+ had a few families, including babies, and WT was pretty full. CW was 50% or so.

2) I was travelling alone, dressed in business casual (oxford shirt, nice pants, polished shoes).

3) The gate agent was an older female.

4) I asked for nothing, just smiled and handed them my ticket (out a nice leather travel / passport holder for what its worth).

5) I checked in after nearly everyone else was on board (had come directly from the lounge).

In comparison, on my other flights I was a bit harried, travelling with others, carrying a McDonald's bag, in tennis shoes, or wearing a soccer jersey.

Ok, so they probably book these well in advance, no two are the same, etc. I just thought I'd mention that I kind of looked and acted like a "professional" business traveller on those occasions when I got upgraded and didn't play "do you know who I am". Not sure if it made a difference, but thought it was worth noting.
</font>

I still think they "mark" you for an upgrade long time before you arrive at the airport. The last time I was upgraded from CW to F I was approached by check-in staff way before I was at the check-in counter... they saw me going right to the counter and then the BA lady asked for my name. She looked into her list (I guess thats the famous pax manifest) and I saw a note behind my name: "Call for upgrade at gate".

At check-in they said nothing about an upgrade (and I didn't asked) and I was going into the lounge. After 5 minutes the lounge staff called me to her desk and gave me the upgraded BP.

Maybe they're marking some upgrade candidates in the manifest and doing a "visual check" before actually giving the upgrade?

BTW, I was a lowly Silver at that time...

Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Mrs Driller used to work at T1 LHR as a check in agent; admittedly as she only did European flights she could only upgrade to Club, but if they were looking for operational upgrades, she used to make a point of not upgrading anyone who asked...

And incidentally, she could usally spot the "Road Warriors" as they were the people who were polite, but impersonal: ticket, passport & card banged down on the desk, answered the security questions before she'd finished saying them and swept off without meeting her eye, smiling or saying hello but without complaining either.

And like Speedbird, she's got plenty of stories about people wanting upgrades, her pet gripe was people travelling in separate cabins wanting to sit together (especially gold pax on holiday with their families).
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from Sky News
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boring747:
Do the check-in or gate agents know how many tier points are in my EC account when I check in? </font>
No, not as such but there is an additional scoring system used which they can see - therefore you might be a Gold20 and I might be a Gold30. It is based on your history.

There is another thread somewhere on here discussing this topic.

Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:53 am

TXL-LHR me in Y the Mrs in C. Check-In. Short question. Short answer: How about 1 A and C? Thank you.

LHR-TXL me in Y the Mrs in C. Check-In. Short question. Short answer: Please proceed to ticketing and pay for it. Thank you, I am not that hungry, please get us two seats in Y.

BTW. I didnt ask how much it would be. Does anyone know (i had a Y booking class ticket)?

Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paulusst:
TXL-LHR me in Y the Mrs in C. Check-In. Short question. Short answer: How about 1 A and C? Thank you.

LHR-TXL me in Y the Mrs in C. Check-In. Short question. Short answer: Please proceed to ticketing and pay for it. Thank you, I am not that hungry, please get us two seats in Y.

BTW. I didnt ask how much it would be. Does anyone know (i had a Y booking class ticket)?
</font>
I know it was a short flight but the way that couples fly in separate cabins confuses me somewhat, for me its both in CE or both in Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.