Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2002, 6:32 pm

Speedbird,

I think your experiences at T4 check in would make highly interesting reading....I for one would be grateful if you would care to post a few of the amusing ones..

Cheers

J
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my old non-Gold days flyins TransA, I had one or two lines/stories (always true) that got me upgrades about 90% of the time. I will NOT share them here!!
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird2018:
Now if you want me to, I can start a thread which has the "top ten reasons for an upgrade"
</font>
Yes! Then I think we should see who has used all ten at one point or another...
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird2018:
Scott C,

Don't get me wrong...there is nothing worng with upgrading your loyal customers, when neccesary.

Agreed!

But having worked as a check in agent in T4, 9/10 pax will ask for an upgrade at check-in.

Or tell me that no one "got back to them at the gate"

Certain people think that it is their god given right to an upgrade regardless of their ticket and status with BA. ( You will not believe, what I have heard as a reason why the Pax needs to fly in CW)

Hooray! That hits the nail on the head. The trouble is that everyone believes that they are a loyal customer, and it goes from a privelege to a right.

Now if you want me to, I can start a thread which has the "top ten reasons for an upgrade"

Sorry if am too blunt....

No quite sharp actually. and it is much appreciated.

rgds2018

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 10-20-2002).][/B]</font>
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:43 am

Ok here are the reasons why pax thought they should have an upgrade

1) I'm a blue/silver/gold card holder

2) I have a medical condition which means I cannot sit in Economy but can sit in Club

3) I'm too tall/big for an economy seat, therefore I need to be upgraded

4) I am traveling due to fact that I have got to go to a funeral/see a dying relative (it is amazing how many people will try and use this one, though some maybe genuine, a lot are not)

5) We are on honeymoon

6) Last time I flew BA, the flight was late/you lost my bags/ I was downgraded/ It was raining etc

7) I am some minor celeb, who has bought an Economy ticket, thinking that you would know who I am, and then upgrade me.

8) My boss is flying club/first we need to work together on the flight ( used to suggest the boss downgraded, funny how that stopped all talk of the need to work)

9) I am a close personal friend of Lord King/ Lord Marshall/ Bob Ayling/ Rod Eddington

10) Last be not least the best one ever.....I checked in a lady , issue her with her boarding pass...she looks at it and asks me why she is not in CW, I explain that she had an Economy ticket. She proceeded to get a Daily Mail cutting out of her handbag and said "but I meet all the criteria in this article to be upgraded". Daily Mail Travel had published 5 tips on how to secure an upgrade!!!!

So my tip for getting an upgrade out of LHR T4, don't ask!!! Use the "U" word in a conversation with an agent, and more than likely nothing will happen.

rgds

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 10-21-2002).]

Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Op-ups are nice, but I agree with those posters that say if you don't pay for it, don't expect it. If you want to sit up front, there are plenty of ways to do it that are cheaper than paying full fare J or F. Getting something for nothing is a wonderful feeling but is a) something for nothing so don't expect it and b) only a great feeling because its rare.

I am peturbed about the comment re: putting J-fare passengers ahead of Golds on D. By definition, lower or non-status members don't give a lot of revenue to BA. It seems a bit off to prioritise someone who may buy one occasional J fare over someone who buys at least 5 either D or J every year (I'm thinking transatlantic here). Who is the better customer for BA? I am aware that a Gold on J would get the op-up before another Gold on D - that's fine by me. But put a non-status ahead? That isn't.

I can't say this policy will put me off buying my D or A fares (and it certainly won't encourage me to pay several grand more for the 1-in-5 off-chance that I may get upgraded), but if as it seems it becomes another erosion of Gold benefits: well, maybe I'll focus on getting AA EXP instead of renewing by BA Gold. Hardly good for BA. Anyone else feel this way?
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
1) I'm a blue/silver/gold card holder

and

5) We are on honeymoon
</font>
I was checking in to my flight to JFK in T4 in June or July 2000, patiently waiting for the couple in front to get their BP and shove off. I had been forced to listen to him groaning on about being a real 'road warrior' and flying around the world in F all the time. Blah, blah, blah. I thought 'when is he going to shut up?' The young woman he was with did not seem particularly interested.

Finally they get to the desk and the agent says "Mr Jones, this is an economy ticket, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to go to desk 99 to check in."

He is non-plussed and replies "I'm one of your elite blue-card members, and we are on our honeymoon. I understand you have an upgrade in your system for us."

She says "Strange the tickets seem to have been bought by a corporate travel agent and on different dates. Your EC number is not in the booking either, may I see you card?"

He whips out his wallet and slips her his blue card! She goes a bit red, and explains to him that blue is where you start, and means nothing more than that you applied last week. He slumps away, completely red-faced and ends up in check-in 99.

I had a good laugh with the agent after he left.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:37 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Evil ! (but i like it)
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:02 am

Programs: Various
Man that is funny!

The words 'utter muppet' spring to mind.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:54 pm

Handsome young men who are shameless enough to flirt with female/gay male gate agents or CSDs are usually upgraded first. Or they are upgraded on board to hang out with the FAs/M up front (especially at the bar on Virgin). So put those cute plastic gold cards back into your wallet.

P.S. Another way to upgrade on BA is to make a big stink about your IFE not working on a flight with full economy.

[This message has been edited by Allusha (edited 10-21-2002).]
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:16 pm

First upgrade and now Virgin. On the same thread!!!

You want Merry to leave us for good, don't you?!?
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Allusha:
Handsome young men who are shameless enough to flirt with female/gay male gate agents or CSDs are usually upgraded first. Or they are upgraded on board to hang out with the FAs/M up front (especially at the bar on Virgin). So put those cute plastic gold cards back into your wallet.

P.S. Another way to upgrade on BA is to make a big stink about your IFE not working on a flight with full economy.

[This message has been edited by Allusha (edited 10-21-2002).]
</font>
Actually the CSD on my BA flight yesterday said that claiming a seat does not recline, IFE not working etc will not work anymore.

Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:00 pm

Programs: TG ROP *G, KLM FB Gold, LH Silver
A couple of years ago I was Gold on BA and got a free upgrade from Y-F Bangkok to LHR at Christmas. I was told by the cabin service director to make the most of it, becuase it would not happen again.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rabbitman:
One other rule is that op upgardes aren't usually awarded if you've ordered any special meal.</font>
Or disabled, or travelling with a child, or if the cabin to which you would be upgraded is empty.

In practice, I have been upgraded several times out of Heathrow (and never even asked for it) despite having a seafood or vegetarian meal. They just apologized for the lack of my first choice and offered me an alternative.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:46 am

9) I am a close personal friend of Lord King/ Lord Marshall/ Bob Ayling/ Rod Eddington
</font>
And if you hear this, get in line behind the person who said it! Last time I was cheking in for a LHR-YYZ the lady in front of me used just that line and got really obnoxious about not receiving the upgrade she asked for (reply: "I'm sorry Madam, BA does not have an upgrade policy").
I was next in line, just handed over my ticket and the agent said "well, just for not asking for an upgrade, how would you like to sit in First?".

That was certainly the most memorable upgrade in a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.