Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by StevieJ
Sat in lounge in Shanghai after getting nice UG from WT+ to J. Great because I spent many weeks prior to my trip out to BKK and back from PVG trying to upgrade using GUF2 voucher but there was never any availability. Looking forward to my second trip in J (both UGs). ^

Can people use the lounge if they get Operationally upgraded? My Father in law was upgraded for the second leg of a flight next week and needed to know if he could enter the lounge in LHR during the layover

Thks
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by DLrunner
Can people use the lounge if they get Operationally upgraded? My Father in law was upgraded for the second leg of a flight next week and needed to know if he could enter the lounge in LHR during the layover
Strictly speaking, no...unless they have lounge access already via the original paid ticket (e.g. J to F OpUp) or status.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:04 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by nixande
Just got upgraded flying SFO to LHR. And to 64B without even asking.
))))))

First thing to do is of course to post here. I was trying to do OLCI (which did not work) and got to the airport early - still had to wait 40 minutes for checking in. I asked for a different seat (forgot that I already had a window one) and was a bit disappointed about not getting an upgrade when the nice women said "vincent is going to meet you".

hm? turns out, vincent is the nice person upgrading me to biz class, as well as the other nice person who does give me the most favorite seat 64B. They must have looked into the passengers because they knew "that I am flying quite a lot with BA" (well three times this year transatlantic probably is a lot) as well as that I will be "gold or silver after this flight".

This i found particular interesting because there still is a bit of a difference between those two but as it seem they can get this kind of information when deciding on how or who to upgrade. And I am only 55 points short of silver .

Now instead of spending some hours at this also uninteresting airport I will spend some ´hours with free coffee and cookies and internet connection. )

Did I mention I like flying BA?
Just killing time waiting for a meeting, and then I see this man's name in this older post. He is a superstar special services representative. A great asset to the airline, he really helped (and gave good advice on what to do further) a terrible, horrible mess get sorted for me once. And a seat from C to F as well.

I don't think SFO's uninteresting btw, but that's one I have down to a science...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Strictly speaking, no...unless they have lounge access already via the original paid ticket (e.g. J to F OpUp) or status.
What about MB Spa appts? Last time I was upgraded from W to J at LHR it struck me that I'd probably have managed a spa appt since the folks down there only take details off the boarding pass and unless you are Blue you aren't going to get the red pen marking your BP...

Anyone tried this? (And yes I'm aware as Gold I can now get spa treatments on longhaul )
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze :(
An upgrade is not always a good thing. This is a brief cautionary tale about my latest flight, which has ended up leaving me rather annoyed at BA - to the point that I'm definitely going to be flirting with other airlines in the coming year.

I was travelling from LAX to LHR in WT+ with a colleague. We checked in online and snagged 28B and 28D (28B for myself), and left for the airport quite happy.

On arriving and picking up our boarding passes, I had been upgraded to 17F. My colleague was left in 28D. Not ideal for him, but he didn't begrudge me the upgrade, so we just said thank you and went on our way.

At boarding however, my pass was rejected and a rather abrubt member of stuff just looked at the computer and scribbled 29G onto my pass. On being pressed for an explanation they just said that the flight was full so I had to be moved back.

I tried to get them to move me back to my original seat, but they weren't having it.

To be honest I was a lot more annoyed at losing 28B than I was at not getting the upgrade. Plus the complete lack of a simple apology or explanation - I mean how hard would it have been to say "We're sorry Mr _Sin, but we've had to find some extra seats in CW and have to move you back to WT+". I mean it's the class I've paid for, so it's not like I'm after compensation - but some basic manners wouldn't go amiss.

So I've just had a really rather unpleasant flight thanks to unhelpful staff and a bizarre upgrade policy. Rubbing salt into the wound was that 28B was in fact occupied by an upgrade from WT who hadn't boarded when I got on, and could easily have been moved to 29G without knowing any different. As a full flexible fare paying silver-card holder, I would've thought I'd have at least a little more priority than being shunted out of my prefered seat for a random upgrade.

Also, whereas the staff barely even spoke to me all flight (not much in the way of drinks - and in fact I didn't even get offered dinner until someone noticed that they'd just missed me out and done everyone else in WT+ first), the chap in 28B seemed to have a constant swarm of FA's sorting out his every wish.

Naturally the CSD gave the chap a feedback form to fill in... I'm sure that will be a glowing report to give the crew a nice warm fuzzy feeling - at my expense.

They've basically pulled a bait and switch to get me into a bad seat and make a good seat available for someone to fill in a nice report. I intent to try to offset that by sending in my own feedback on the way it was handled.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:55 am

Programs: Meh!
I did self-service check-in at FRA yesterday back to LCY and found I had been seated in CE in 7A - which I promptly changed to 3D. Fortunately my boss had been upgraded too. FRA security was a nightmare - long delays. A very nice flight although we only had 1 FA in CE who worked flat out. Well done to her. ^
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:39 pm

Travel Agent Upgrade

Hey all,

I'm booked in WT+ from London to Los Angeles this week. Chances of being upgraded to Club World?

Am I dreaming :-)
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by craigncl
Hey all,

I'm booked in WT+ from London to Los Angeles this week. Chances of being upgraded to Club World?

Am I dreaming :-)
Read a few pages of the thread and decide for yourself based on these questions:

1) Is the flight full?
2) Are you oneworld Sapphire/Emerald or hold BA elite status?
3) What kind of ticket are you travelling on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.