Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:22 am

One other point I wanted to say : I don't get it when people say "I'm paying ful fare or a lot of money in C /F class and I don't like it when it is full of non rev or upgraded passengers". So what ? I don't car who is seating where , are they dressed nicely, do they smell good, do they burp after they eat, do they look at the seat commands as if it was a space shuttle , etc.
I'm the only one paying my seat and all the other guys are upgraded ? Well? i can only be happy for them, it's great, I almost envy them !! why criticise this ?? Some would argue that it is not good for the airline revenue etc. well, unless we are Finance director for that airline , i don't really think we care. The airline is the one deciding to upgrade, so it is the only one to be blamed if there's a revenue problem or whatever !
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, UA is worse, imagine paying full fare for J and seeing someone next to you getting first meal choice based on his status while flying on a $300 ticket using a systemwide... Thank goodness BA is a revenue based airline...
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Don't US EC members still upgrade using miles? I used to do this quite often from J to F. I know it used to be 20,000 miles to upgrade LAX-LHR to F.

In all the years I've been Gold, I've never gotten an operational upgrade. Of course I always buy Club in Europe and almost always upgrade from Club to F on long-haul.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:27 pm

After reading all thes op-up posts I really come to one conclusion: nothing works for sure except buying a premium ticket!

Pucci & Co are saying "never ask for an upgrade or else... do always dress nicely or else...". France USA on the other hand has made different experiences.

Maybe there are different "rules" for different airports? If I fly DUS-LHR-JFK for instance, the U* decision will be made at DUS, not at LHR, right? So maybe at DUS they do op-up people if they ask for it, but in LHR they don't?

Just a thought,

Hammer
Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, just yesterday on a Biz ticket I was PLEASED to have sit next to me a schoolteacher who was PLEASED AS PUNCH that he had bought an ultra cheap ticket (i.e. in the 200 range, GBP or $$ I did not ask) and was upgraded to Club. Bully for him, he flies once a year and was happy that he hit the jackpot! I managed to peek at the manifest in the galley and saw three golds in the back. I guess if they wre possibly together BA didn't want to break them up!! Afterall thios is exactly the situation which supposedly happened to me a few weeks ago!!
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:42 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
Don't US EC members still upgrade using miles? </font>
Yes, and that is the kick in the teeth for the UK based members who are told that upgrading 'cheapens the product'.

Old Feb 17, 2003, 3:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Well, just yesterday on a Biz ticket I was PLEASED to have sit next to me a schoolteacher who was PLEASED AS PUNCH that he had bought an ultra cheap ticket (i.e. in the 200 range, GBP or $$ I did not ask) and was upgraded to Club. Bully for him, he flies once a year and was happy that he hit the jackpot! I managed to peek at the manifest in the galley and saw three golds in the back. I guess if they wre possibly together BA didn't want to break them up!! Afterall thios is exactly the situation which supposedly happened to me a few weeks ago!!</font>
Wow, I really wonder what the rationale behind a decision like that is ? If there are no op-ups being done, fine, leave your best customers in the back, after all they only paid economy. But if there IS a legitimate reason to move someone up, why choose a once a year,cheapest eco ticket holding passenger over your top tier members ? Baffling...
Old Feb 17, 2003, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point exactly.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
But if there IS a legitimate reason to move someone up, why choose a once a year,cheapest eco ticket holding passenger over your top tier members ? </font>
Maybe, just maybe, BA thinks that if it upgrades some no-status pax over an elite pax, the elite pax will continue to think BA does not upgrade and will continue to pay for premium fares?

Of course if the elite pax finds out that some no status person has been upgraded over him/her once, twice, or how many many times they may (should) move their business.

BTW, 2 pax seated in the bulkhead of WT+ on BA 49 LHR-SEA yesterday were UPGRADEd to make room for 2 pax with a baby who didn't have a bulkhead seat in the WT (only 1 set of bulkhead seats in WT).
Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well a few recent episodes and overall declining service levels have made me do just that. Last year I was around 4000 tiers, this past year I squeaked at about 1700, This year they'll be lucky if they get 1200 out of me. The funny thing is that the past year my overall flying has actually increased and MY "yield" is incredibly high. When I speak to BA people that I know about some of these recent happenings they go nuts. BA was never that great as a service organization, they have been getting worse than ever before

(Seperately, but why don't you try this out for yourselves in the UK. Try getting through to BA at night. You CANNOT. They stopped "rolling" calls to the States. Furthermore, the "elite" line is Gold only now, no silvers. While many of us still can use it, the problem is that they used to have FORTY staff overnight, the number is now FOUR, and worse, one of the idiots last month tried to make me call back the next day because it was about TWENTY FIVE HOURS before my flight and the line is ONLY for flights within 24 hours.

Its a sad day folks when I say that KLM is kicking BA these days in BASIC customer service, it is pathetic when they also do it at high tier levels.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 4:57 pm

On my many flights in F I never forget to ask for an upgrade,after the FA apoligizes for the no ups today,they usually get a good laugh,I say Iwant to fly the bird,and I always could have said I am Frank Abanagale the third
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Argent my Love....I do realise that English is not your first language and I respect that. I took four stabs at your message, and I got everything but who is Frank Abanagle III? Please excuse my denseness.

I have a question for you. Since you ride in F, you or your employer clearly pay for it? What do you think of a cabin full of u/grades?

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
Argent my Love....I do realise that English is not your first language and I respect that. I took four stabs at your message, and I got everything but who is Frank Abanagle III? Please excuse my denseness.

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited 02-19-2003).]
</font>
Not denseness, merely that you haven't seen "catch me if you can" yet... worth the 2 quid 50 from Blockbuster when it's out on vid. Frank Jr. is the kid who flies around the world for free by masquerading as a pilot -- didn't get miles tho', despite being in F...

CT
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:11 pm

Do the check-in or gate agents know how many tier points are in my EC account when I check in?

If we are all going to be flying premier cabins this summer and op-up are issued, will they be issued based on the card first (Gold/Silver/Blue) then by tier points?

[This message has been edited by Boring747 (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 2003, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boring747:
Do the check-in or gate agents know how many tier points are in my EC account when I check in?

If we are all going to be flying premier cabins this summer and op-up are issued, will they be issued based on the card first (Gold/Silver/Blue) then by tier points?

[This message has been edited by Boring747 (edited 03-05-2003).]
</font>
As far as I know they can't. They can however see extra comments like any VIP remarks, certain corporate info (company, function etc...). I've also been told they put tiers in certain "levels".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.