Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Definitely more op-upgrades in the high season ... summer to/from Europe ... or when it starts getting close to Christmas.

Overall, maybe 10%.

Exception being quite a few op-upgrades in the last months of 2001 after 9/11.

Unlike the previous poster, I've had more op-upgrades at LHR ... at the gate the machine rejects my boarding pass, and they write-in a new seat.

When I've gotten op-upgrades elsewhere, they've generally given an upgraded boarding pass at check-in, where it looks like they've made their decisions about op-upgrades ahead of time.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:35 pm

One other rule is that op upgardes aren't usually awarded if you've ordered any special meal.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
I recently came in contact with someone who said he was a Gold member and the every flight he's had since he has been upgraded. From what I could tell he wasn't lying or bragging. I couldn't quiz him more on it at the time, but is this ususal for other Golds too? Or has he just been lucky?</font>
It is much more common on some routes than you might think.

However, being Gold is not the only, or even the primary, driver here. Well-placed BA execs (often from sales) can attach another sort of status to your name for their own strategic reasons. While it doesn't always result in an u/g, it almost always results in really warm and attentive service.

On board LHR-AMS recently in WT (el-cheapo AA.com booking), the CSD actually came by my seat to apologise for not being able to offer me something better. I responded that I had paid for WT, I was fine where I was for such a short haul, and that I was glad the loads were so promising.

This was impressive.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 2:13 pm
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
I have had no problem obtaining op upgrades from J - F on supposedly oversold flights when tickets in F were unavailable before flight, even though I always have special meals ordered.

Old Oct 20, 2002, 2:13 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I have to admit I agree with BA's upgrade policy. Take as many fee paying premium passengers as possible, and otherwise only upgrade as necessary for op reasons ... I've had a number of upgrades trans -atlantic on BA due to OW status... more commonly from the overseas port than Heathrow though ... any idea why that is ?
Old Oct 20, 2002, 2:50 pm

I was thinking of Y to J on the special meals front. BA has confirmed this policy to me in writing a couple of years ago but it may have changed.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rabbitman:
I was thinking of Y to J on the special meals front. BA has confirmed this policy to me in writing a couple of years ago but it may have changed.</font>
I agree, if it's about last minute op-up's it's better to not have a special meal request, if you are stuck in Y and need a special meal I'd advise on brining your own food and not requesting a special meal.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 3:42 pm

I know I am going to cause certain people to be a bit hacked off.

but........

"If you went to a butchers ,and asked for beefburgers you would not expect to get a sirlion steak"

Thank you..........

Coat etc will be collected by myself.

rgds2018
Old Oct 20, 2002, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird2018:
I know I am going to cause certain people to be a bit hacked off.

but........

"If you went to a butchers ,and asked for beefburgers you would not expect to get a sirlion steak"

Thank you..........

Coat etc will be collected by myself.

rgds2018
</font>
If I always buy sirloin steaks for $6000 and every once in a while I order a beefburger it would be nice if the butcher offered a free steak
Old Oct 20, 2002, 3:52 pm

Programs: Various
I posted these in the VS forum, a love it when an airline does brilliant adverts like these:-

http://www.iflyvirginatlantic.com/go...?section_id=10

These explain some of the sentiments of the U word quite well.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Oct 20, 2002, 4:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
If I always buy sirloin steaks for $6000 and every once in a while I order a beefburger it would be nice if the butcher offered a free steak </font>
Scott C,

Don't get me wrong...there is nothing worng with upgrading your loyal customers, when necesary.

But having worked as a check in agent in T4,9/10 pax will ask for an upgrade at check-in.

Certain people think that it is their god given right to an upgrade regardless of their ticket and status with BA. ( You will not believe what I have heard as a reason why the Pax needs to fly in CW)

Now if you want me to, I can start a thread which has the top ten "reasons for an upgrade"

Sorry if am too blunt....

rgds2018
Old Oct 20, 2002, 4:23 pm

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2002, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird2018:
Scott C,

Don't get me wrong...there is nothing worng with upgrading your loyal customers, when necesary.

But having worked as a check in agent in T4,9/10 pax will ask for an upgrade at check-in.

Certain people think that it is their god given right to an upgrade regardless of their ticket and status with BA. ( You will not believe what I have heard as a reason why the Pax needs to fly in CW)

Now if you want me to, I can start a thread which has the top ten "reasons for an upgrade"

Sorry if am too blunt....

rgds2018
</font>
Ahhh... Now I understand your point, I COMPLETELY agree that the "do you know who I am" people are the worst kind...

Old Oct 20, 2002, 4:28 pm

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2002, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Hello all....

I've just returned to San Diego on BA 2275 from LGW today. I bought a CW ticket and upgraded using my Asiamiles. Asiamiles members may upgrade from most economy class mileage earning fares originating from anywhere BA flies from/to. Which is a lot better than whatever restrictions BAEC has for some of its members.

My paid business class ticket's mileage will be credited to my EC.

Sean, the purser on today's flight told me that BA is experimenting on a few things to generate higher revenue for itself effective about 2 weeks ago.

Passengers will be upgraded according to their fare paid as opposed to just relying on status. Which means, someone with no status and flying on a J coded ticket will be upgraded ahead of a BA GOLD member with a say, D class ticket to First. Similarly, people who bought a say, Y booking code with no status might be accorded the upgrade ahead of even a GOLD member with a V class ticket. He said that BA is trying to encourage people to buy higher fares.

Mind you, on today's flight, BA did upgrade 2 passengers from J cabin because the 2 in First Class voluntarily downgraded themselves because they could not sit together! Oy! The things people do to want to sit together....!

All in all, LGW-SAN run will be transferred to LHR by the end of the month. Still a fabulous way to cross the pond to London!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.