Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by gbogo
I even got to see the QF printed boarding cards as we were asked how we wanted to be seated and chose 4 A, B and J (?) ie 3 in a row.

Then the fun started as we were kept waiting for 30 mins while various discussions continued behind the counter. In the end had a very unpleasant woman supervisor tell us they hadn't realised we were on award tickets, that the check-in person we had been dealing with was inexeperienced and that we had better take Biz on QF or there would be trouble! We felt like we had been caught stealing! What a way to spoilt a great up****e experience!
You should have said, 'Tell you what, I'll save you a lot of effort and pass my those ready printed boarding passes on the desk just there'

All in all though you did well to be upgraded as a family of three twice! A friend of mine at school (family of 3) also flying on the Kangaroo route managed to snag J outbound and F inbound for all three of them. I guess a high scoring Gold for a Dad
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:33 am

Programs: BMI Gold
Gold won't get you upgraded...

Interesting thread. Here is my take. I have been upgraded on SAS, BA, Emirites, Virgin and Lufthansa. Discount Econ to Business, Reward econ tickets to business, and full fare prem econ/WT+ to club/upper class.

In each case I was upgraded without any status or even membership to their FF programmes.

Since getting gold with Virgin and gold with *A I have never been upgraded. So from my experience, status matters very little, nor does paying full fare. Luck of the draw, pure and simple.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, VS Silver.
Welcome to the forum 747sardine.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Welcome indeed 747sardine!

Was there any common thread to the upgrades you received i.e. did you always arrive early, ask for an upgrade, ask again at the gate, fly of very full planes....just curious if there was a pattern.

Presumably even if its the luck of the draw there are ways of enhancing your chances..........I assumed status/type of ticket purchased was one, but your experience does not support this.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:07 am

Programs: BMI Gold
Question

Thanks for the welcome.

There was a common thread through all the upgrades, a very full flight. But in each case, there must have been people with status or a higher fare class on the same flight as my leisure travel is always discount econ.

Arrival times differ, upgrade times differ: BA upgrade already in system, EK at checkin after wife said she had a bad back, LH and SK at gate after being paged, VS at checkin.

I to thought status must be part of the game but as you can see it has no part to play in any of my upgrades.
Old May 1, 2004, 12:17 am

Upgrade rationale....

Hello All..

Concerning BA, I think the inconsistencies that many see originate from variable policies at outstations around the world. Ex LHR, policy is relatively strictly followed, in card status, and although many EC card holders believe UG chances to be more favourable ex overseas destinations, in theory it should be the other way around. That said, if you fly a route regularly, your profile is undoubtedly noted by o/station managers so that could help.

Ex o/stations, UG policy seems to be very haphazard. Sometimes it can be a bit of a tombola - to my complete disapproval. Some of the invol-u/g's I have seen in CW seated next to full fare EC card holders are shameful. I think this is limited to summer months and busy seasons, and BA do try their hardest from London to resolve these outstation policies. However that can be hard to do. U/G afterall is a privilege, but privilege should be given to those pax who are loyal to the airline and that is reflected in EC.

So good luck wherever you are! And if you are inbound to London during the summer months (WT bigtime oversold) .. dress smart, be nice and hope you are SFU...
Old May 3, 2004, 6:48 am
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Hi Manual: Amazing! You've been on every BA flight I ever took and we've never met. Just one question: why do they always give you the doors at the end of the flight??
Old May 3, 2004, 3:38 pm

Hehehehehe....

Must be my intense desire to get off and away from the thing as quickly as possible.....

Ever met my friend - his name is cross-check???

Yours, Doors2manual & Cross-check....

(Goodness what cheezy humour eh?!!!)
Old May 3, 2004, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 recent upgrade observations.

A no status colleague on a full fare J ticket to HKG. She wanted a window seat - nothing available in J. Upgraded at the gate to 3A!

Family of 5 connecting on to OSL flight from long haul. Late arrival at gate, no seat allocation. You guessed it, straight into Club.
Old May 3, 2004, 7:33 pm

In a situation such as the OSL, last minute upgrading is left to the "close out team", who tweak the final figures...if it was a tight connection at LHR for the OSL flight, then the closeout team could have made such a move - especially if all seated together.

The full fare J passenger would have been a consideration for an J>F upgrade if such a situation as another service going tech and therefore a last minute transfer of passengers (hence a sudden oversold situation) Especially if there were only a few full fares and EC's in J. Again, its down to Close outs and the CSD.

Last edited by Doors2manual; May 3, 2004 at 7:36 pm
Old May 6, 2004, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA EC: silver
Hi, first post here, fascinating thread!

I'm going from LHR to Sydney next week for a wedding (not mine!) and I'm the lowest of the low - I have a feeling class N is probably the worst WT class.

Not surprisingly I'd like a better seat and I would be prepared to fork out a bit extra for one, but not the 200% extra BA has offered just to go to WT+.

Does the amount to pay for an u*****e go down as the flight gets closer?

I'm only going for two days (mad I know) - would having only cabin luggage help, or will they think I'm a terrorist?

All strategies gratefully received.
Old May 6, 2004, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, lowlyblue

Taking cabin baggage only is very normal - I did a day trip to Jakarta from LHR and only took a laptop bag!

N is pretty far down the pecking order so you are very unlikely to get anything for free. You could ask - but do it nicely and charmingly as possible. You can also pay to upgraded on board - can't remember the price but the info is in here somewhere.

Or use OLCI (on line check in) 24 hours out and snag yourself an exit row seat.
Old May 7, 2004, 2:25 am

Programs: BA EC: silver
Thanks for the speedy response. I have a question about OLCI but I'll ask it on another thread to avoid going off topic.
Old May 14, 2004, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Flew yesterday in J from ANU up to LGW (no F on this service !) on a largely empty flight and the otherwise idle CSD came and had a chat. "I gather you do a lot of flying with us et etc." At one point in the conversation he asked me if I was often given up*s. I said never and he said he was most surpised and was I asking for them ? He thought that if I asked, I should get !! That is a new one.

Ironic really since he had turned away a couple in the back of the plane who had said that as J was empty would he mind if they parked themselves there.
Old May 26, 2004, 5:55 am

Flown with BA many times. Status deffinatly does matter. My dad has a Gold card and managed to get 4 of us on the cheapest of the cheap tickets Upgraded to C once. He asks everywhere. Its more often than not the lounge reception that does it.

Since WT+ was introducted, WT passengers can only really be upgraded to WT+. In my experience, WT+ is almost always full, so buying a ticket in this class gives a good chance of upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.