Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There does seem to be an added slowness to the new style scanners which I have seen at LCY and AMS. As the bag emerges from the machine, it often waits next to the 'naughty bag line' as I hold my breathe to see whether it is going to be pushed sideways for a manual check or allowed onwards towards me. I assume that this is thinking time for the operator as my bag might be complex to unravel. It feels slower as there is the wait - named the 'pause of doom' by me!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Markie
There does seem to be an added slowness to the new style scanners which I have seen at LCY and AMS. As the bag emerges from the machine, it often waits next to the 'naughty bag line' as I hold my breathe to see whether it is going to be pushed sideways for a manual check or allowed onwards towards me. I assume that this is thinking time for the operator as my bag might be complex to unravel. It feels slower as there is the wait - named the 'pause of doom' by me!
I think this is mentioned in the other thread for CT scanners at LHR, but the point about these CT scanners is that the same check of items is going ahead, it's just that the improved tomographic functionality means that it's generally no longer necessary to separate them out manually. The processing moves from passenger to agent, and in theory the agent will be faster overall. Clearly if your bag is very noisy it is going to still take a while for the agent to go through this, indeed with USA PreCheck you see this on the older system - the agent needs to identify each flagged item and if you have lots jumbled together it will take at least a few seconds. One is often waiting a while post scanner in the USA. Ideally those regular travellers who know what items tend to cause problems would still separate out the problem items, but that then gives mixed messaging and the very pre-scan shuffle they are trying to eliminate. Best I can think of on that is to shuffle items between bags, or approach the security area with the item in your hand already.
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GGL
The escalator from South security down to the departures level is currently broken. Huge queues for the lifts so I've ended up having to traipse to the north end of the terminal just to double back on myself to the Flounge. ​​​​​​ I'd suggest there is absolutely no point using South security at the moment unless you are GGL/F.

Clearly it's beyond HAL to apply a modicum of common sense and reverse the seldom-used "up" escalator...
SxMan and DXB2745 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
it’s purely for HAL’s purposes to see how long it takes people to go from the first gate to get to the front of the queue.
Do we know if this is just for HAL internal monitoring purposes or does the DOT measure them by these stats?

If the latter surely DOT know the games the Heathrow play regarding this, consequences should follow!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flarmip
The escalator from South security down to the departures level is currently broken. Huge queues for the lifts so I've ended up having to traipse to the north end of the terminal just to double back on myself to the Flounge. ​​​​​​ I'd suggest there is absolutely no point using South security at the moment unless you are GGL/F.

Clearly it's beyond HAL to apply a modicum of common sense and reverse the seldom-used "up" escalator...
Both escalators are now working, as is North. We can go up, we can go down, we can go....
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Both escalators are now working, as is North. We can go up, we can go down, we can go....
Argh, rotten luck then! Still, at least I'm not in any hurry - only got another 3 hours to kill until my flight
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
Argh, rotten luck then! Still, at least I'm not in any hurry - only got another 3 hours to kill until my flight
OK I'll rescue you then. PM coming
wrp96, alex67500, KARFA and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador
I’d say I was through in 5 mins total at ~1345 today. The one thing slowing it down was passengers not moving their trays to the tables, thus allowing the scanner to “fill up”. One of my few genuine pet peeves in airports…

Things got moving again when I put ~6 empty trays on the return stack.
MaxFlyer, KARFA, Tocsin and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...through Plane Food and down the stairs at the back of the restaurant
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by aeflyer
I’d say I was through in 5 mins total at ~1345 today. The one thing slowing it down was passengers not moving their trays to the tables, thus allowing the scanner to “fill up”. One of my few genuine pet peeves in airports…

Things got moving again when I put ~6 empty trays on the return stack.
Don't get me started about it
Some people seem completely unable to think about others around them, and unfortunately that's a widespread behavior in multiple countries.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:53 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I almost always cleared away other people’s empty trays in FW. I’d usually get through the metal detector before my bags came through the X-ray, so part of my routine was to stack the empties and by the time I’d done that my bag would come rolling down.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:07 pm

Went through this afternoon at around 12.40. No one in the queue -through in just over a minute. Probably the fastest ever through security at LHR.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’ve done a number of flights from T5 since the closure (and have not really had any issues at all) but today I got an email which I haven’t had before, saying, amongst other things:

Once you exit security, you’ll be able to access the Concorde Room immediately via the door on your right. Sit back, relax, and prepare for your flight in comfort

It’s in respect of a SH flight (to ZRH) so I assume that “the system” is at last able to identify GGLs and automatically generate emails to them……progress of sorts.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I almost always cleared away other people’s empty trays in FW. I’d usually get through the metal detector before my bags came through the X-ray, so part of my routine was to stack the empties and by the time I’d done that my bag would come rolling down.
I am in favour of the reintroduction of the death penalty. But only for not clearing one’s trays away at airport security. I think a mandatory life term is sufficient for murder and treason.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I’ve done a number of flights from T5 since the closure (and have not really had any issues at all) but today I got an email which I haven’t had before, saying, amongst other things:

Once you exit security, you’ll be able to access the Concorde Room immediately via the door on your right. Sit back, relax, and prepare for your flight in comfort

It’s in respect of a SH flight (to ZRH) so I assume that “the system” is at last able to identify GGLs and automatically generate emails to them……progress of sorts.
I got this also, although my flight leaves from T3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.