Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Requirement to scan boarding pass at T5 security

Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

So yesterday a longish queue and one lane open around 0830. But I was thro in 10 mins so it was fine.

This morning around 0900. No queue at all and both sides open. The HAL agent did try and make me scan my bp but I said no - strangely yesterday the agent was explicitly telling people not to scan, what a coincidence when there is a queue. Anyway I was firm but polite, he tried to intimidate me by standing close to me at the unload station and looking around for a manager to dob me in, but it didnt work. Sorry HAL I am not playing your silly game.

(in other news, yes I am grumpy today )
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:02 am

Programs: British Airways
I can't find the relevance, having scrolled back through the thread, but what's the issue regarding scanning (or not) of the boarding pass? Flying in a couple of weeks so might be handy to know. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deanrw
I can't find the relevance, having scrolled back through the thread, but what's the issue regarding scanning (or not) of the boarding pass? Flying in a couple of weeks so might be handy to know. Thanks.
its purely for HALs purposes to see how long it takes people to go from the first gate to get to the front of the queue. TFW never had them btw. I also remember prior to TFW and when the queues were long the agents would cover them up and pretend they werent working. Hence my negative attitude tbh.

This small scanner just before the offloading stations has absolutely no impact on your flight, so if any agent tries to tell you that you need to do it, or that you will be offloaded from your flight, they are quite simply wrong.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
its purely for HALs purposes to see how long it takes people to go from the first gate to get to the front of the queue. TFW never had them btw. I also remember prior to TFW and when the queues were long the agents would cover them up and pretend they werent working. Hence my negative attitude tbh.

This small scanner just before the offloading stations has absolutely no impact on your flight, so if any agent tries to tell you that you need to do it, or that you will be offloaded from your flight, they are quite simply wrong.
If asked, I always just tell them that my phone with my BP on it is already in my bag or jacket, which is true, and I'm not fishing it out again.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
I think those statistical scanners should be where you exit security, rather than where they are now. From that point it can take you anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes to get through.
mario, seanp7 and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Off topic...

The BP scan just before the security belt is to help monitor how long the queue is, not how long it takes to get through security. The rationale being that additional scanning of bags and personnel should take as long as necessary for the agent to be satisfied with the result.

The results themselves don't feed into MTI (Measures, Targets and Incentives) stats but are blended with other queue time measurements to give a queue time per 15 minute interval. If it's over a set threshold then it's considered a breach. More than a set number of breaches in a given time period results in HAL issuing a proportional refund of landing fees to the airlines. IIRC fast track is not included in the stats, it's just the 'normal' queue.

More info here: https://www.heathrow.com/company/abo...and-incentives
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:22 am
Original Poster

how does it measure how long the queue is exactly - unless it is working that out from timing to first scan to second scan?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:33 am

how does it measure how long the queue is exactly - unless it is working that out from timing to first scan to second scan?
It's not the length of the queue but how long is spent queuing. Subtle difference! Bluetooth tracking and clever cameras do most of the work.

With the camera solutions, you set up what your queue maze looks like and then position the cameras in specific locations so they have a clear view. They then count how many people pass through the maze and how long it takes them.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:44 am
Original Poster

ah ok, you said "to help monitor how long the queue is" not how long is spent queuing though. are you getting tripped up by your own subtlety?

yes, so that is as I noted in 394, it measures "how long it takes people to go from the first gate to get to the front of the queue". as you mentioned, it doesn't measure how long the actual security process takes, and i don't think it was suggested it did.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
It's not the length of the queue but how long is spent queuing. Subtle difference! Bluetooth tracking and clever cameras do most of the work.

With the camera solutions, you set up what your queue maze looks like and then position the cameras in specific locations so they have a clear view. They then count how many people pass through the maze and how long it takes them.
So why is the boarding pass scan needed if cameras are doing it?
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:49 am

ah ok, you said "to help monitor how long the queue is" not how long is spent queuing though. are you getting tripped up by your own subtlety?

yes, so that is as I noted in 394, it measures "how long it takes people to go from the first gate to get to the front of the queue". as you mentioned, it doesn't measure how long the actual security process takes, and i don't think it was suggested it did.
Ah yes!

I was thinking how long (duration) not how long (distance) and failed to be explicit.

I wasn't challenging anything you'd said, just aiming to add a bit more background.

I think there was a comment about why isn't the BP scanned after you exit security which is why I mentioned how the duration of the security process is excluded.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I wasn't challenging anything you'd said, just aiming to add a bit more background.
yes, sorry my post shouldn't have come across that way. thank you for the additional information
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Passed through this morning at 05.00. For once I was prepared and had all my electronics packed away, I walked straight up to the tray at which point my arm was grabbed by one of the HAL workers and told me I needed to scan my BP and failure to do so would see me offloaded ? I told her this was nonsense, not wanting an argument I just scanned it
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:27 am
Original Poster

it is absolute nonsense. the scanning at that timing point just before you go to an offloading station is in no way linked to anything to do with your flight. either the HAL agent is completely ignorant, or they know they are simply lying.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
it is absolute nonsense. the scanning at that timing point just before you go to an offloading station is in no way linked to anything to do with your flight. either the HAL agent is completely ignorant, or they know they are simply lying.
That's as may be - but I'm not sure I'd be wanting to have an argument with them and risk being denied travel (or worse).

It's misleading and dishonest by HAL for sure, but you will have had the boarding pass ready seconds earlier to get through the scan point - so I really don't see it as an inconvenience worth arguing over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.