Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by daenous
Does anyone have insight into whether it is on time or falling behind?
If there anything like the workmen working on a bridge in my father's home town, or most British people working on the roads (or HS2), then expect it to run over and cost an extra Ł3B when they find out a week before opening, that something is up with the floor, wiring etc.
Could be surprised though!
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
It is not supposed to be done until April..... which is extremely useful as it is AFTER the Easter peak!!!! If the process is anything like the area which is sectioned off in the main security area as being worked on, I would guess they are behind. I pass through weekly and nothing has happened in this area in the last few weeks.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I believe it was supposed to be 11 weeks from 9 January, so that would be 26 march.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
If there anything like the workmen working on a bridge in my father's home town, or most British people working on the roads (or HS2), then expect it to run over
I live in Cubis in Bruton and the builders here almost boast how slow they are and they are years behind schedule. They are only building 26 new houses and the final one won't be finished until 2025. They started March 2021.

When I was in Austin, Texas last March they had just finished the timber frames of a new estate. I went back this January and people had already moved in. That's the difference between US and UK builders.

Since the pandemic, nothing gets constructed in the UK quickly and often goes well over budget too.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by daenous
Does anyone have insight into whether it is on time or falling behind?
I'll just quote myself to answer your question:

Originally Posted by ryan182
In the entire history of human flight there has never been an airport project that completed early (and few that were on time) so any update now would probably be they're working on it and I wouldn't expect much else.
I'd plan for and expect that it won't be done on time, and on the off chance it is be pleasantly surprised.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I think the official original date for completion was 19th March. I only remember because I happen to be flying that day and was feeling smug that it wouldn’t bother me if it was finished or not anyway as I was connecting from domestic.

Anyway, my flight was moved to T3 so serves me right I suppose.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
If you think how many months the T3 Fast Track was in the old location you might get an idea of how long T5 will take.
I suspect BA will be pressing people, although with all the 'it's not too bad except for having to scan my boarding pass' ;-) comments, I doubt BA are too worried that they lose business!
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by layz
Before the security channel was built that area wasn't called the first wing, it was just the first class check-in area. So really the first wing is closed! But for the key passengers (first class travellers) it's not too bad because they can access the CCR easily enough (as can GGL). But for regular golds it means we're pretty much to how we were before the first wing. It's not really the end of the world though as silvers now tend to use north fast track as the J desks have been moved.
The names have evolved over the years, to be sure. A bit OT, but BA currently refers to "The First Wing" as the overall check-in to lounge process, not just the security checkpoint. Indeed, the first photo on The First Wing website is of the entrance to The First Wing check-in area, which remains open. It could be confusing to some less frequent travellers that The First Wing check-in area remains open while The First Wing security checkpoint is closed, so it seemed like it could be helpful to explain in more detail as above. Hopefully that additional information will help make things more clear for less frequent travellers
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Reopening 27th March according to lounge staff
Markie, ademanuele, Lefly and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:49 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Makes some sense to aim for this, just in time for the Easter weekend and start of the IATA summer season and step up in number of both flights and passengers.

Presumably after this there will be a rolling programme to take other lanes out of use for conversion? There will definitely be some impact of that as I can’t see you can avoid all the busy travel days over spring and summer and finish the work on something like the timescale the DfT and CAA would like (given the deadline will be missed anyway).
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Presumably after this there will be a rolling programme to take other lanes out of use for conversion? There will definitely be some impact of that as I can’t see you can avoid all the busy travel days over spring and summer and finish the work on something like the timescale the DfT and CAA would like (given the deadline will be missed anyway).
yes there is a lot of work already going on atm, mostly obviously at the north end of south security.
krispy84 and lcylocal like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes there is a lot of work already going on atm, mostly obviously at the north end of south security.
Yes a largish space just before you get to Plane Food. Looked to be at least 2 scanners removed.
CaliforniaSwede and lcylocal like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I was told today by lounge staff it is now looking to be slightly earlier, 22/23rd. We shall see…
CaliforniaSwede likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by krispy84
Yes a largish space just before you get to Plane Food. Looked to be at least 2 scanners removed.
This work looked considerably advanced today, with the scanners in place. Only two weeks ago (or maybe it was three? I lose track…) I noticed it by way of a completely cleared area without anyone knowing undertaking work despite it being what I would regard ‘working hours’.
krispy84 and marble35 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
.. today told it would be 27th March - at least before Easter.. so soon! (current fasttrack/1st security is coping - just, but seems slow with the volume of bags).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.