Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Airlines - a competition for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
I'm looking forward to the Netflix documentary in 3 years time titled Global Airlines: the Fyre Fest of the Skies.
Came here to make a joke about their first flight being a special charter for Fyre Festival, but you (sort of) beat me to it :-(
EuropeanPete and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
I admit that I am becoming a wee bit obsessed by this story! I just had a nosy at their website and it appears that they have a company on board to refurbish their aircraft starting in January. Interestingly, they plan to refurbish one airframe pretty quickly to get it airborne, before refurbing again at a later date to bring it up to the promised level of luxury. Now I know nothing about running an airline let alone starting one from scratch and my knowledge of economics isn't much better, but I have to agree with Bohinjska Bistrica who can see Claude from The Apprentice shaking his head in disbelief!
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by blurt91; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:28 am Reason: Correct spelling
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's the other thing they're got sorted (from Head for Points)...
Actual LOL.

Ludicrous marketing failure already - as moronic as BA naming all their classes so that normies don't know which one is which.

Who on earth is going to know where "titanium" falls in relation to "bronze" etc. And so many different tiers/types of card.

This is LARP, by children.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Above all else, it looks kind of cheap and trashy to me. They did a bad job with the branding. And why is it called "Global" when it's literally just one or two transatlantic routes?

I did literally laugh out loud when I saw their initial plans to have a "gaming" class - i.e. a class of travel for video gamers, with a games console they could use. Like WTAF? Did 12 year olds design this? 15 seats in 1-3-1

nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sadly its already been confirmed that gamer class wont happen.
Midships and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sadly its already been confirmed that gamer class wont happen.
I'm sure that's for the best ...
nancypants and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
I read an article about the founder not long ago. He seems to be an aviation enthusiast who wants to bring back, that feeling, that flying is something special. I am not sure, how the whole concept would work, as the industry is very competitive, and there were plenty of failures over the years. But also many people here complain about the race to the bottom. So, here is a person who wants to reverse the trend!
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Above
I read an article about the founder not long ago. He seems to be an aviation enthusiast who wants to bring back, that feeling, that flying is something special. I am not sure, how the whole concept would work, as the industry is very competitive, and there were plenty of failures over the years. But also many people here complain about the race to the bottom. So, here is a person who wants to reverse the trend!
I have no problem with people wanting to reverse the trend, I wish him the best of luck!

I do believe there is a niche that they can serve.

My question is if that niche is big enough to build a sustainable business on, let alone the OPs question, a business to challenge BA.

If he can deliver all he promises for the same price as a BA then great. However his gamer class has already been ditched, so the track record does not look good.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I have no problem with people wanting to reverse the trend, I wish him the best of luck!

My question is if that niche is big enough to build a sustainable business on, let alone the OPs question, a business to challenge BA.

If he can deliver all he promises for the same price as a BA then great. However his gamer class has already been ditched, so the track record does not look good.
In my opinion, that is what private jets are for. The reality is most of the market is happy with lower prices. Of course, there is a niche of people willing to pay more, but not all those want to pay more for some "special" feeling about flying. Virgin wanted to bring the special feeling back and did for a while before joining the race down.
EuropeanPete and Above like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by scottishpoet

Yes, I agree, it's not looking promising
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Above all else, it looks kind of cheap and trashy to me. They did a bad job with the branding. And why is it called "Global" when it's literally just one or two transatlantic routes?

I did literally laugh out loud when I saw their initial plans to have a "gaming" class - i.e. a class of travel for video gamers, with a games console they could use. Like WTAF? Did 12 year olds design this? 15 seats in 1-3-1

If that's the quality of the pitch deck I'm amazed they have even got this far.
CX HK, oceanscape and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:18 am
MJA

Programs: QF Plat, & Life Gold, IHG Diamond
Thank god for this thread.......I thought I was the only one thinking WTAF!

I've followed the founder on insta for a long time and enjoyed some of his content. I was amazed though that he had so much self confidence that he believes sitting in the front of the plane a lot (and as said before, making 'downing champagne in one' his trademark) arms him to set up and run an airline.

Aside from what's already been said about the headwinds he's fighting against, does anyone else feel like 'Global Airlines' and the branding sounds like something out of one of those 1970's airport disaster movies? #dontcallmeshirley
BA or bust and oceanscape like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The founder of GA is a joke. I have followed him on Instagram long time ago and I don't think he is the kind of guy who can keep GA up in the air for a long time. However, there are many private equity funds willing to take risk and invest in his business model.

Take my words, three to four years and this airline is out of business.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Reading these comments reminds me of the well-known HBR article titled "Why so many incompetent men become leaders?" Confidence and competence get confused
Swanhunter, SKT-DK, Paxing and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by blurt91
I admit that I am becoming a wee bit obsessed by this story! I just had a nosy at their website and it appears that they have a company on board to refurbish their aircraft starting in January. Interestingly, they plan to refurbish one airframe pretty quickly to get it airborne, before refurbing again at a later date to bring it up to the promised level of luxury. Now I know nothing about running an airline let alone starting one from scratch and my knowledge of economics isn't much better, but I have to agree with Bohinjska Bistrica who can see Claude from The Apprentice shaking his head in disbelief!
I do hope they have permission to use those pictures on their website.
blurt91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.