Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Airlines - a competition for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
MAXjet ... I remember them well.

Flew MAXjet in 2006 and 2007 on the IAD run. Very pleasant, in a PE++ way. I recall talking to our Captain before boarding on the way home on the last trip ... he was concerned they were over-expanding routes with insufficient aircraft. And so it proved, as reliability went down the tubes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAXjet_Airways

I forsee a similar fate, especially with such large [and unreliable?] airframes.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by T8191
Flew MAXjet in 2006 and 2007 on the IAD run. Very pleasant, in a PE++ way. I recall talking to our Captain before boarding on the way home on the last trip ... he was concerned they were over-expanding routes with insufficient aircraft. And so it proved, as reliability went down the tubes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAXjet_Airways
How did you get from Jersey to Stansted?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by muscat
If an airbus costs $300 million, they are going to have to sell an awful lot of GA Hoodies. (45 each).
By my calculations, if every one of his million Instagram followers buys 5.4 hoodies that will be an A380! Problem solved and all us naysayers will have to eat our hats!😂 😂
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by blurt91; Nov 15, 2023 at 12:41 pm Reason: New info
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
What did they presume fuel to cost to get those figures?
I read this pitch deck in more detail and it just reeks of complete nonsense.

The numbers dont stack up, they expect to have 75 planes by 2025 with a $9Bn turnover.

Looking into my crystal ball (as one does on FT) I suspect they will get off the ground only for the winter season of 2024/5 to roll around, 2 planes will be grounded for the winter season and never get back into service. The other two will eventually be grounded shortly afterwards, and they will fade into obscurity along with that champagne in Y.

Happy to be proven wrong of course
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Jambon87

The numbers dont stack up, they expect to have 75 planes by 2025 with a $9Bn turnover.

So he really expects to have nearly a third of the 251 A380's ever built by 2025...I may have to adjust my hoodie calculations!😂
BA or bust and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jambon87

Looking into my crystal ball (as one does on FT) I suspect they will get off the ground only for the winter season of 2024/5 to roll around, 2 planes will be grounded for the winter season and never get back into service. The other two will eventually be grounded shortly afterwards, and they will fade into obscurity along with that champagne in Y.

It reads like something that would appear on The Apprentice, with poor Claude left shaking his head in disbelief at the nonsense he's been forced to read.
blurt91 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Raffles
There IS massive disruption coming to TATL, but it will come from the A321LR/XLR when production ramps up fully. Cheap(ish) aircraft - with excellent resale value - with a low enough seat count to be viable year round and which can use virtually any UK airport. Suddenly Newcastle to New York is viable, or Belfast etc etc.

It's not coming from Global.
Aer Lingus seem to be doing well with this model from Manchester currently, albeit flying some A330 when originally planning A321 equipment.

I don't see how Global manage to get anyone anywhere if they have a 380 go tech, it's bad enough finding seats if you're affected on a BA 777 and that's with all their other routes and open options with AA, IB, and AY. Wish them look though!
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by blurt91
So he really expects to have nearly a third of the 251 A380's ever built by 2025...I may have to adjust my hoodie calculations!😂
I might buy a hoodie, they'll be collectors items in 5 years.....
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
It reads like something that would appear on The Apprentice, with poor Claude left shaking his head in disbelief at the nonsense he's been forced to read.
I was thinking more Dragons Den and how quickly this got a chorus of

I’m out

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 15, 2023 at 5:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by Duck1981

I found it a bit challenging though that he showed quite a dislike 'for status bragging and cheap Champagne drinking frequent flyers' so I was under the impression he likes to poach regulars BA customers who are just fed up and not the LHR-JFK commuters (which he can't get anyway given frequency).
What does that mean? He view frequent flyers as enjoying cheap champagne? Seems odd to hear any airline exec have a disdain for frequent flyers.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, and it is even more bizarre given his own boorish behaviour when travelling, like engaging in "champagne slammers" in the CCR - but since he posts it all on IG i guess he really has no self awareness.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by blurt91
By my calculations, if every one of his million Instagram followers buys 5.4 hoodies that will be an A380! Problem solved and all us naysayers will have to eat our hats!😂 😂
He may a million followers but Global Airlines only has 40 followers on X (Twitter). They have a ways to go.

Hi All

I randomly met the founder of Global Airlines yesterday at the Dubai Airshow and had a 10min chat with him (coming less from my position as BA frequent flyer but more as an Avgeek).

Actually quite a nice chap to chat with. Key points he makes to take business from BA:

- better service, management to focus on customer service
- in flight crew empowered to make decisions to rectify customer service issues, even if costly
- Champagne in all classes
- inflight bars similar to EK
- J / F product positioned slightly under EK but more competitive price
- flexible rebooking/ inflight changes

He said he can finance the above due to the lower acquisition costs for 380ies. From what I've seen (pure speculation) he seemed to be very well connected to EK HQ so I wouldn't be surprised if they provide brain power/ MRO/ or even further planes once they get their 777-9s. A guy from EK told me some 380 are designated for an 'impressive challenger' in the European market (whatever that might mean).

I found it a bit challenging though that he showed quite a dislike 'for status bragging and cheap Champagne drinking frequent flyers' so I was under the impression he likes to poach regulars BA customers who are just fed up and not the LHR-JFK commuters (which he can't get anyway given frequency).

Overall impression was, pure gut feeling, that Global might work out better than Norse etc and might be a headache for Virgin.
Are we talking about James Asquith? The former backpacking guy who has done travel interviews saying taking the bus to save money and skip the flight? Just being a well traveled person does not mean you know how to operate and market an airline.

You say (and thanks for sharing!) he seemingly has disdain for cheap champagne drinkers yet wants to offer a premium travel experience somewhat below EK and priced cheaper. This could describe so many other airlines currently. But to hold in disdain the customer base you are designing the airline for.... This whole thing is a head scratcher.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cpworld
What does that mean? He view frequent flyers as enjoying cheap champagne? Seems odd to hear any airline exec have a disdain for frequent flyers.
I believe he referred to frequent flyers who are very proud of their status card
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I believe he referred to frequent flyers who are very proud of their status card
That's the other thing they're got sorted (from Head for Points)...

EuropeanPete and Duck1981 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BA or bust
How did you get from Jersey to Stansted?
2006 ... took the car across on the Ferry and drove to STN. PITA!
2007 ... flew to LTN, taxi to STN. PITA! I seem to have a wrong date for 16 Oct!

Last edited by T8191; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.