Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Airlines - a competition for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:29 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
So it's your assumption BA, EK, LH, QR, NH, OZ and SQ are not established carriers who knows what they're doing?
Wait. Isn't that the assumption of everyone who posts on FT?
Bear96 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
They won't get off the ground. Same with the 'new Monarch'.
oceanscape likes this.

Last edited by Trent900; Nov 15, 2023 at 6:56 am
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer

I had the same doubt last year using Jetblue from LGW to JFK which proved unfounded and I have never had major IROPS on any airline so maybe I should worry less about it.
Jet Blue at least has a) a decent list of alliance partners where they might be able to put you on Icelandair or Aer Lingus if things go totally pear-shaped and b) a good amount of experience handling extreme weather IRROPS - BUF in the winter can be brutal, neither of which a new player is going to have
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Jet Blue at least has a) a decent list of alliance partners where they might be able to put you on Icelandair or Aer Lingus if things go totally pear-shaped and b) a good amount of experience handling extreme weather IRROPS - BUF in the winter can be brutal, neither of which a new player is going to have
They've just had to unwind their relationship with AA due to a court ruling, so it will be interesting to see how they cope moving forward
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
How poor weather is handled at an outstation says more about the airport in question, not the airline.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
4 a380s they can't fly as they don't have an AOC and are years away from getting one. in the first instance they will be wetleasing from HiFly.
And using HiFly brings its own issues when they're putting a Maltese flag on the aircraft. If I may borrow from PPRUNE...

Let’s assume Malta. They can happily fly from anywhere in the EU to anywhere in the US (there’s an open skies agreement). They’ll need to get a foreign ops permit from the US but these are rarely unreasonably withheld.

What they can’t do - since Brexit - is to treat the UK as a stop or a base. If they use it as a stop - say MLA-LGW-EWR - that’s a fifth freedom route. And they are a no no with the UK and the EU since Brexit.

Also, if they based a Maltese registered aircraft in LGW and flew that to EWR (and going back to MLA now and again to blow the tyres up) then that’s a seventh freedom route. If you think they’ll have no chance of a fifth freedom, the chances of a seventh freedom post Brexit are about one billionth of that.
And ontop of that, doesn't LGW only have one A380 gate with an air bridge? And doesn't that have an Emirates plonked on it most of the day.

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 15, 2023 at 12:37 pm Reason: Convert text colour for dark mode
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BJ787
And using HiFly brings its own issues when they're putting a Maltese flag on the aircraft. If I may borrow from PPRUNE...

And ontop of that, doesn't LGW only have one A380 gate with an air bridge? And doesn't that have an Emirates plonked on it most of the day.
So negative, I am sure they have already sorted this all out in preparation for their launch next April
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by Trent900
They won't get off the ground. Same with the 'new Monarch'.
I think they will get off the ground, and for a short period of time they may prove to be superficially successful.

However, with a constantly evolving travel market, Seasonal demand, IRROPS and everything else that gets thrown the way of even the most established carriers. It remains to be seen how long they will remain around.

And knowing IAGs proclivaty for buying the competition. If they saw them as a genuine threat, it wouldnt be long before they were part of IAG
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by TTmex
They've just had to unwind their relationship with AA due to a court ruling, so it will be interesting to see how they cope moving forward
My understanding is Jet blue chose to unwind their relationship with AA.

Global's chance of success is near zero. With so few aircraft the competition can loss lead against them if necessary.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
So negative, I am sure they have already sorted this all out in preparation for their launch next April
They've got the important things sorted though...

https://www.globalairlines.com/artic...r-announce-MOU

• Global Airlines, the world’s newest airline, and Laurent Perrier, one of the world’s most prestigious champagne brands, announce a new partnership.
  • The champagne, known for its quality and craftsmanship since 1812, is set to be the premier brand on the airline.
  • Laurent Perrier was the official champagne of the airline’s “Welcome Onboard” event, held at Kettner’s, Soho House, in London on July 27th.
  • Global is set to launch its first Transatlantic services from London Gatwick in 2024
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They've got the important things sorted though...

https://www.globalairlines.com/artic...r-announce-MOU

If they are planning to serve Laurent Perrier in YIll be first in line nabbing a few bottles
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:29 am

If an airbus costs $300 million, they are going to have to sell an awful lot of GA Hoodies. (45 each).
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by muscat
If an airbus costs $300 million, they are going to have to sell an awful lot of GA Hoodies. (45 each).
Aren't they using money from Holiday Swap? Oh, hang on....
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Jambon87
If they are planning to serve Laurent Perrier in YIll be first in line nabbing a few bottles
I am fairly sure they will gimmick this that in Y they serve some welcome drink/ post departure drink, for which champagne will be an option, but that will be the only time Y sees champagne. They can say they serve it in Y, but still differentiate the forward cabins

Otherwise, if their Y PAX are quaffing back bottles of LP their ticket prices will not remain competitive very long
Jambon87 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What did they presume fuel to cost to get those figures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.