Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ever thought about a sushi chef in the CCR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever thought about a sushi chef in the CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
On a separate note and very off topic (apologies but I’m bored in the IST TK domestic lounge waiting to connect on TK to ESB, already spent time upgrading my 45 min hop to J for 18£ ) my flight went very well, cabin crew were super attentive.

However.

Hope the following point will not open Pandora’s box: todays BA680 surprisingly only had 3 rows of J - with 6 pax in total.
After boarding completed I still had all row 1 for myself (I love the privacy feeling when that happens, I have to admit) however shortly after doors closed and whilst taxiing 3D placed himself into 1D and 3C behind me into 2A. Cabin crew did not say anything, neither did I.

Just wondering all the fuss about blocking row 1 for Golds/GGLs and row 2 for Silvers….
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Just wondering all the fuss about blocking row 1 for Golds/GGLs and row 2 for Silvers….
Row 2 is never blocked for silver. Row 1 is blocked for Gold/Emerald and above + people flying with them (for short haul) for pre-booking, but there is never any guarantee that things will remain so when check in opens. It may remain blocked, or it may open to other customers too.
81romeo likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Row 2 is never blocked for silver. Row 1 is blocked for Gold/Emerald and above + people flying with them (for short haul) for pre-booking, but there is never any guarantee that things will remain so when check in opens. It may remain blocked, or it may open to other customers too.
Thanks - I got that - but row 1 stayed blocked until the end. I’m talking about ppl who sat in a seat which was not assigned to them. Anyway. Not the end of the world of course.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Thanks - I got that - but row 1 stayed blocked until the end. I’m talking about ppl who sat in a seat which was not assigned to them. Anyway. Not the end of the world of course.
At least they were not from 'down the back'

Back to my cornflakes sushi.
HIDDY, 81romeo and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Excuse me but I thought that Merluza was cod .
No petal. orbitmic knows his fish and as he said it's hake. I'm not complaining as it's a good substitute for cod/haddock and is plentiful here. Cheap as chips too at 1500 pesos a kilo. I must admit I do like sushi however my experiences have all been from Marks and Sparks. There's a couple of sushii places here in my town out in the pampa. With the record high temperatures we're currently experiencing I'm not tempted to try them though.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
To OP's Question, No, I had not thought about having a sushi chef in the CCR.

But this question did bring back lots of fond memories of sushi in the JL NRT Sakura First. On many occasions, I shamelessly went back for second!

HIDDY, Dark Blue and 81romeo like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allset2travel
To OP's Question, No, I had not thought about having a sushi chef in the CCR.

But this question did bring back lots of fond memories of sushi in the JL NRT Sakura First. On many occasions, I shamelessly went back for second!
Glad you enjoyed it but I have to say it's not doing anything for me. I'd much prefer a Tesco prawn cocktail.

I suspect an Argentine asador would be more welcome in the CCR than a sushi chef. I've got some time on my hands BA.....

Last edited by HIDDY; Mar 4, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
None of that foreign stuff for me. I'd rather have this.

Where's the deep fried mars bars?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Perhaps sushi is more suited to the ITA Airways lounges. If you ignore fast food restaurants then all you can eat sushi places seem to dominate the foreign restaurants in Italy. Within walking distance of where I live there’s two sushi restaurants, one take away kebab place and at least 10 Italian places (pizza, piadina, seafood, etc).
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Merluza is actually hake It is a very nice fish indeed (as is cod) and one that reminds me of many a lovely trip to the Basque country!

!
You my Love are absolutely right and I apologise. I adore Hake and in fact, my second favourite Fish and Chips is hake. My No 1 is Huss (we called it Rock Salmon when I was little). Like you, I could cheerfully live on fish - and am pleased that there is this move pro-fish. I was not keen on Sishi to begin with but have some around. What I cannot eat under any circumstances are oysters. They just some straight back up. Cooked they are fine but that applies to all shellfish for me.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Where's the deep fried mars bars?
Politeness precludes me from telling you.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My No 1 is Huss (we called it Rock Salmon when I was little).
That makes for a delicious fish and chips indeed! In fact, a number of people argue that rock salmon was the original fish used in London for fish and chips! It has progressively gone out of fashion for reasons I ignore (apart from the fact that it is admittedly rather ugly, almost like a cross between salmon and eel, but hey, it's not as though delicious fish like lamprey and monkfish were particularly suited for the catwalk either). BTW, as I seem to remember that you now spend significant parts of your time in France, in the unlikely case you haven't found it yet, you'll get the rock salmon under the name of "saumonette"!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:17 am

That makes for a delicious fish and chips indeed! In fact, a number of people argue that rock salmon was the original fish used in London for fish and chips! It has progressively gone out of fashion for reasons I ignore (apart from the fact that it is admittedly rather ugly, almost like a cross between salmon and eel, but hey, it's not as though delicious fish like lamprey and monkfish were particularly suited for the catwalk either). BTW, as I seem to remember that you now spend significant parts of your time in France, in the unlikely case you haven't found it yet, you'll get the rock salmon under the name of "saumonette"!
Darling - yes and I cook it myself! I do not cover it in batter as that is best done by the Fish and Chip shops who have deep fat fryers that go to a temperature which is rather dangerous at home.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Personally I think it should be first trialled in the lowly Galleries lounges, let the Silvers have first dibs..
Old Mar 5, 2023, 11:28 am

Concentrate on getting basics consistent and good. Anyway I dislike sushi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.