Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ever thought about a sushi chef in the CCR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever thought about a sushi chef in the CCR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
A good sushi chef will be the equivalent of the salaries of 5 (?) waiters. Plus I know maybe 3 good sushi restaurants in London and I pay easily £350 for 2 so it won’t fit into BA‘s understanding of cost vs benefits if they would try to deliver a quality product.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:56 am

No no no no no. This is BA...

Stick to your Qatar/Cathay etc etc if you want raw fish.

The priorities must be ensuring all food is overcooked, everything else must be as cold as possible, and even better frozen. Karfa also gets his choice of colour mug in the CCR and a famous member of staff returns to sorting you all out with some expressso martinis.
DYKWIA, RJD1983, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lavajava
No no no no no. This is BA...

Stick to your Qatar/Cathay etc etc if you want raw fish.

The priorities must be ensuring all food is overcooked, everything else must be as cold as possible, and even better frozen. Karfa also gets his choice of colour mug in the CCR and a famous member of staff returns to sorting you all out with some expressso martinis.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
The JAL F Lounge at NRT always used (and AFAIK still does) have this. Two actually!
Yes, although only at dinner time as far as I know, and with very limited choice (2 or 3) and ok but by Japanese standards a little underwhelming quality. The HND lounge has or had the teppanyaki mini station instead - again, only a couple of choices.

To be honest, as much as I adore flying JL F and J, the lounges are really nothing to write home about food included (and I am a huge, huge, lover of both Japanese food and food in Japan - including non-Japanese), and those lounges are not really the model I would ideally like the CCR to emulate (Incidentally, QF F lounges used to always have raw fish dishes on the menu though it is no longer as systematic, and I must say that they were always very good. Not true sashimi or sushi, but more along the line or "easier" ceviche/crudo/tartare which is already a pretty good start!)
Woodbinerich and 81romeo like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by Cw novice
If I am not mistaken this is a bit more Giffnock than Buenos Aires.

Whilst I love Sushi, I don't think that you could recreate the proper high end Sushi experience there.

The would be much better partnering with Claridges/The Ritz for a proper afternoon tea experience. Would be keeping with the brand.
Catch in Giffnock indeed ! Well spotted, and beat me to it.
From another Southsider

More on topic, fresh sushi would be great, but as already notes it would be supermarket style sushi, not "real" sushi. I'd still eat it though !
HIDDY and Cw novice like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Powered eggs are great, for the record
Powered eggs might be, but powdered eggs certainly are not.
MaxFlyer, HIDDY and IJN Harekaze like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
There is one at the JAL lounge in NRT. I assume raw fish is not popular in the western world (Brits don't eat anyway), there is no point for the CCR to have one. Additionally, if there was, the quality would be questionable. Sometime ago, locals recommended the best(!) sushi restaurant when we visited a big & famous seafront area, which was Yo! Sushi... I must say Yo! Sushi is far from real sushi restaurants.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I assume raw fish is not popular in the western world (Brits don't eat anyway)
I see someone hasn't visited a Harry Ramsdens then!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I assume raw fish is not popular in the western world (Brits don't eat anyway).
What strange assumptions (x2) to make!!!

I'm with you on the fact that quality is often lacking (chain sushi is nothing like sushi just like McDonalds is nothing like a burger and Pret nothing like sandwiches, etc) but those things pop up at every street corner in every large city from London to Tel Aviv and Paris to New York so there is no doubt that people love it. Ceviche and Peruvian and Nikkei places are also plentiful.

As for good sushi and sashimi places they do exist, but they are predictably rare, but they exist both in metropoles and in some large and relatively cosmopolitan cities (there is one in Nice that several Japanese stars and ministers have patronised for years, and which is in a place tourists typically would not go to when visiting unless they are coming specifically for that restaurant, and a couple of other real places in town). I assume that the same must be true of Manchester or Edinburgh, but truth be told, as someone who has been to Japan many times and has had family living there for a few years, there are very few people I would trust to recommend a good sushi or sashimi place as most people outside of Japan have simply no idea what that even means, including some people I truly respect as foodies.

But again, that's sort of besides the point - expertise is one thing and taste is another, and the taste certainly is there.
RJD1983 and IJN Harekaze like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 4, 2023 at 6:45 am
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
As a Brit, I can confirm exclusively to FlyerTalk that I do indeed eat
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, afaik no one in my village likes raw fish (they love fish&chips, of course), I do eat when served but not my favourite! (love ells though) And some flyers said they did not like the sushi bar in the JAL lounge (they said it's cos of smell, I didn't smell the fish in the lounge though), so I assumed!

Edit: I also remember raw tuna sushi with curry sauce was served in a lounge or flight, a lounge staff member/cabin attendant introduced it as a creative japanese menu(lol). Was not too bad, but too adventurous.

Last edited by Dark Blue; Mar 4, 2023 at 7:23 am
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:20 am

I didn't smell though
Glad to know you shower and use body wash... But I don't see how thats relevant
RJD1983 and Dark Blue like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
The JAL F Lounge at NRT always used (and AFAIK still does) have this. Two actually!
Best One World lounge for that reason
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:02 am

Well, afaik no one in my village likes raw fish (they love fish&chips, of course),
I mean, different people like different things, there are plenty of people in the UK who think that pasta is "exotic" and what not, but long story short, not all of the UK lives in a (or your) village!
Dark Blue likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Will100
Best One World lounge for that reason
Seriously?? Again, I really love JL, but i rank JL F lounges as the weakest OW F lounges I have tried after AA Flagship (never tried the AS ones so they might be worse...)

Space is ok but food is mediocre at best (incredible given food quality in Japan), drinks are average if that, and showers and massages are almost never available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.