Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Soho Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways and American Airlines Soho Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Have you checked your flight isn't from Gate 14 at EWR? That would appear to explain a lot of the above scenario!
who knew there was a train at T8? Is that the lazy person’s way to the satellite gates?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Have you checked your flight isn't from Gate 14 at EWR? That would appear to explain a lot of the above scenario!
It did get me wondering whether I had made a monumental error (sweaty palms time) but it's deffo AA100 from JFK to LHR.

The AA app is directing me to gate 14 in terminal 4 and no-one knows why.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

Back to the lounge itself and thought I'd have some food from the buffet. I should note that I've really enjoyed the JFK Flagship lounge food previously on numerous visits, and had come across from LAX earlier in the day.

This was at 7:30pm. Main dishes were Chicken Pot Pie, Cheese Tortellini with Tomato Basil sauce and a prawn dish.

I had some of the tortellini but found it to be very bland. On reading this thread it seems I should also have looked at the option to order other dishes, but compared to the Flagship offering previously from JFK (and which is still available in LAX, DFW etc) the buffet was poor.
Totally agree. The February menu is vile. The two proteins were what can only generously be described at stew. The deconstructed chicken pie looked like a congealed pool of slop. The shrimp bathed in a stew like sauce was also horrible. AA and BA at their new premier flagship facility should not be serving this.

The food was never this bad before at any of the previous JFK lounges. If the budget can’t support an actual piece of protein, then find something else that fits the budget which is edible.
lsquare, becks1 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Just left soho, and as a OWE I did get a bit of “oh sir you need to go to the admirals club,” but after informing the agent of my foreign OWE status, partner and I were duly admitted. The buffet looked absolutely disgusting, but we did order quite a few dishes from the QR menu, and while not gourmet by any means, they hit the spot. Will say service was pretty slow, and if thirsty, one’s best bet is to order drinks at the bar rather than via QR.

Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by fender5787
Just left soho, and as a OWE I did get a bit of “oh sir you need to go to the admirals club,” but after informing the agent of my foreign OWE status, partner and I were duly admitted. The buffet looked absolutely disgusting, but we did order quite a few dishes from the QR menu, and while not gourmet by any means, they hit the spot. Will say service was pretty slow, and if thirsty, one’s best bet is to order drinks at the bar rather than via QR.

My local Wetherspoons springs to mind when I see pics of food like this.
ermis177 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
My local Wetherspoons springs to mind when I see pics of food like this.
I mean I’ve never been to one of y’all’s famous wetherspoons, but like I said, food wasn’t gourmet, but was equivalent to what you’d snag at a midweek dinner spot in Williamsburg, so guess eye of the beholder
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:12 am

Spot the difference……
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON
Totally agree. The February menu is vile. The two proteins were what can only generously be described at stew. The deconstructed chicken pie looked like a congealed pool of slop. The shrimp bathed in a stew like sauce was also horrible. AA and BA at their new premier flagship facility should not be serving this.

The food was never this bad before at any of the previous JFK lounges. If the budget can’t support an actual piece of protein, then find something else that fits the budget which is edible.
It sounds like it’s been brought in line with GF at T5 then.The descriptions are almost uncanny, except that the pies there are only deconstructed if they’re dropped on the ground.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Just looking at the pictures, I’m pretty disappointed with the quality of the food. I figure Emeralds will be treated better than that. It’s absolutely unacceptable!
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:16 pm

I am there now. The lounge is calm and quiet- I quite like it.
The food is dire. When I arrived the buffet was scavenged.
I did a food order- fish and chips with what was described as mushy peas but was a pea mousse (in the images above it looks like it has some substance but mine was just like a whipped pea puree)
Pastrami sandwich that was inedible- stringy meat cut too thick- 3 pieces in the sandwich , a tiny amount of squeeze cheese and bread that wasn't toasted just hard.

Personally I would rather have self pour drinks as well as a bar. I like to know what I am drinking before getting on a flight. There is Guinness and brown ale in cans in a fridge.

The buffet meals are baked cornmeal catfish (? like pike in breadcrumbs), herb potatoes, string beans with shallots, roasted chicken with lemons and olives (this is in a sauce) and mushroom stroganoff.
becks1 and Mirp like this.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Feb 19, 2023 at 8:11 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:45 pm

Hi
Can anyone advise if this lounge is recognised as “BA’s own lounge” when it comes to the GGL benefit of guesting 5?
many thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I am there now. The lounge is calm and quiet- I quite like it.
The food is dire. When I arrived the buffet was scavenged.
I did a food order- fish and chips with what was described as mushy peas but was a pea mousse (in the images above it looks like it has some substance but mine was just like a whipped pea puree)
Pastrami sandwich that was inedible- stringy meat cut too thick- 3 pieces in the sandwich , a tiny amount of squeeze cheese and bread that wasn't toasted just hard.

Personally I would rather have self pour drinks as well as a bar. I like to know what I am drinking before getting on a flight. There is Guinness and brown ale in cans in a fridge.

The buffet meals are baked cornmeal catfish (? like pike in breadcrumbs), herb potatoes, string beans with shallots, roasted chicken with lemons and olives (this is in a sauce) and mushroom stroganoff.
Finally made it to the East Coast and stop in the lounge. It’s 230p on Saturday, but as stated in the post above. It’s clean, quiet however the buffet is well stocked. I chose the cold options, chicken salad sandwich and salad. But I rather like how BA/AA have it set up. The checkin was easy. I tried the premium check in when you first enter the terminal at the far right, but they only had one AA agent there and a customer with a VISA issue so I exited and went to the next premium check in, just to the left. It was fast and easy. Between the check in and lounge I’m impressed. I thought the food options were fine. I do believe a self serve bar would be nice. And not a fan of the press to pour wine. But I have zero complaints.

PETER01 likes this.

Last edited by Tack; Feb 25, 2023 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I also visited today. The lounge is certainly more relaxing and feels nicer than the old Flagship First lounge of T7 (which I understand is now the Greenwich lounge). At breakfast time (circa 0830) after all of the “early rush” flights had departed it was quiet, maybe about 20 passengers in total.

The food option was perfectly fine - fresh fruit, fresh bagels and “lox” were my choice, which nicely filled a hole.

As others have mentioned, I would much prefer a self-pour as the Flagship First lounge used to be. I also get the impression that the food offering is slightly worse and with considerably less choice, but I never actually stepped foot in the FF lounge before midday.

All in all, I’d probably prefer to be in the Soho lounge over Galleries First at T5, but I think that might have a lot to do with how quiet and relaxing it was.

P.S. what’s with the weird sinks/taps…?
Tack and becks1 like this.

Last edited by c1223; Feb 25, 2023 at 8:04 pm
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by c1223
P.S. what’s with the weird sinks/taps…?
Lol, on my way out myself and another chap took a minute attempting to figure it out. We both lit up the hand dryer, thinking it was the spigot. Glad I’m not the only one who struggled.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by asy949
Hi
Can anyone advise if this lounge is recognised as “BA’s own lounge” when it comes to the GGL benefit of guesting 5?
many thanks!
Yes, the lounges are co-branded. But good luck if you get an AA agent…
asy949 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.