Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Acidity
FWIW, as an AA elite (soon to be ExecPlat), I would personally trade away complimentary domestic upgrades for Flagship Lounge access on domestic itineraries, though I realize many of my peers would feel differently .
You could try non-US One World Sapphire status. I'm US based, but I found BA Silver surprisingly easy to earn (a lot of transcons on AA earn 140 tier points per leg in paid J, so if you have just one with a connection, it's two round trips to BA Silver). The main value to me is Flagship Lounge access on a domestic AA itinerary. Depending on your flying habits, you might choose a different non-US FF programme (The sweet spot on BA is paid business class travel but the down side is you need two BA metal trips to get Silver).
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:21 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Aside from the upgraded amenities (bedding and PJs) and improved lounge facilities in select airports, there is not really any difference in AA J and F internationally. Service is hit-or-miss, food is largely identical and the seat is just a bit larger. I personally prefer the J cabin on the 77W, as it's a bit more private than the F cabin. I've flown both pretty extensively pre-Covid and never felt put off if I wasn't able to use an upgrade to get into F. J is an overall good enough experience and is just about as good as AA gets.

With BA's Club Suite I would pretty much make the same argument, although I do still perceive there to be a service difference between Club and First on BA. And, I love the atmosphere of the BA F cabin with its warm blues. When Club was 2-4-2 there was a huge difference between the two cabins.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’ll sound like a broken record, but it’s not because of the seats, routes or quality of the j product.

DL and UA have no F, so if F is not a huge money maker, AA has no reason to keep it given the competition that matters to them;

AF and LH have F, so even if F is not a huge money maker, BA has a big reason to keep it to avoid making a significant gift to the competition that matters to them.

Neither AA nor BA is in either “terrible cost centre, we really need to plug that hole” or “omg, goose that lays the golden eggs, what a winner” territory, and what differs betwwwn them in terms of tipping the decision is simply competitive scenes.
stifle, Arsey00 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by jejb
The sweet spot on BA is paid business class travel but the down side is you need two BA metal trips to get Silver.
Small correction, it's not necessarily BA metal you need. BA coded flights operated by AA count as much as AA coded flights operated by BA. In any case, those two flights (or four flights for gold) are a minor issue.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Small correction, it's not necessarily BA metal you need. BA coded flights operated by AA count as much as AA coded flights operated by BA. In any case, those two flights (or four flights for gold) are a minor issue.
4 sectors for Silver and Gold, and 2 for Bronze.
DeltaFlyingProf likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jejb
You could try non-US One World Sapphire status. I'm US based, but I found BA Silver surprisingly easy to earn (a lot of transcons on AA earn 140 tier points per leg in paid J, so if you have just one with a connection, it's two round trips to BA Silver). The main value to me is Flagship Lounge access on a domestic AA itinerary. Depending on your flying habits, you might choose a different non-US FF programme (The sweet spot on BA is paid business class travel but the down side is you need two BA metal trips to get Silver).
Off Topic I know, but I switched to BAEC for the FL. I travel just enough to the EU to get my BA flights with the rest domestic US. I’m excited to see what BA rolls out in T8 lounge wise. Im definitely a Lounge Lizard when I fly.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Visuals of the JFK overall improvement plans, for those interested. Skip to page 26 for the T8 AA/BA co-location plan specifically.

https://www.anewjfk.com/wp-content/u...m-overview.pdf

Quick overview gleaned from the above and various articles/bloggers: There will be both an Emerald Lounge and an actual F lounge, which presumably will be where our beloved CCR staff are moving. Looks like F check in could connect directly to the premium lounge area (behind current Bobby Van’s), with the new gates 18 and 20 just beyond mentioned by taylopet above, already knocked through. Renderings show BA using these gates but it doesn’t look like direct boarding from lounges. A few existing gates are being converted to wide body gates, as well as 3 hard stands being added. The existing Concourse B Flagship Lounge, FFD area, and the AC together will become an expanded J lounge.

BA begins landing at T8 on 17 November with flight 183. First T8 departure is 178 the next morning. For the subsequent two weeks flights will move over gradually. Last T7 departure is planned for the 114 on 30 November.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Hopefully one positive will be improved security with Pre check TSA open for longer hours covering the evening departures unlike T7 with the 'pseudo' and chaotic PreCheck experience in the evening.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:35 pm

The CCR catering and waiting staff at JFK are all being let go - AA are running the new facility and their contract is with Sodexo
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scillyisles
The CCR catering and waiting staff at JFK are all being let go - AA are running the new facility and their contract is with Sodexo
That's really sad. Some of them had been there for years (and some were really very lovely).
Ramos likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That's really sad. Some of them had been there for years (and some were really very lovely).
Yep we were upset when we found out on one of our recent trips through the JFK CCR in the last few weeks- we asked if there was anything we could do to help like email/write to BA but it is AA in the driving seat and their contract is with Sodexo
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Arsey00
Quick overview gleaned from the above and various articles/bloggers: There will be both an Emerald Lounge and an actual F lounge, which presumably will be where our beloved CCR staff are moving. Looks like F check in could connect directly to the premium lounge area (behind current Bobby Van’s), with the new gates 18 and 20 just beyond mentioned by taylopet above, already knocked through. Renderings show BA using these gates but it doesn’t look like direct boarding from lounges. A few existing gates are being converted to wide body gates, as well as 3 hard stands being added. The existing Concourse B Flagship Lounge, FFD area, and the AC together will become an expanded J lounge.
This is what it looks like tonight. Bobby Van's Grill is behind me but the right, and also to the right, between the Grill and where I'm standing, is a separate temporary plasterboarding which would be a corridor in terms of shape. That corridor ends where I take this photo, and on the left is gate 14 and 16 combined, though the waiting area on the left was previously for gate 14 only. So the area involved includes the space that was previously used as the waiting area for gate 16. This blocks off the end of the terminal, which is where you turn right in front of the walkway down to the satellite terminal.

djsflynn, klaus79856 and Arsey00 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scillyisles
I’m sure I read somewhere upthread that the staff were being moved over to T8. Looks like things have now changed. Very sad.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Arsey00

BA begins landing at T8 on 17 November with flight 183. First T8 departure is 178 the next morning. For the subsequent two weeks flights will move over gradually. Last T7 departure is planned for the 114 on 30 November.
We’re flying to JFK on 26 Nov on BA173. Was hoping it’d be landing into T8 but alas still shows T7. Flying home on AA100 on 2nd Dec so will be interested to see what’s on offer for BA golds in terms of check in, lounge etc
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Smid
Ah yes, I think some said LPGS who've travelled it, I've not, so don't know.
it wasn’t LPGS for us, I don’t recall what it was but it was nice and better than what is served in J.
Smid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.