Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Greetings from the JFK CCR. Here’s the latest news from the people behind the desk. Some of this has already been reported but I asked specifically the question about the Chelsea lounge for GGL folk traveling domestically on AA. Here goes:
  • The Chelsea will not be opening prior to 1st December
  • From Nov 17th until the switch over Dec 1st , the first flight and the last flight will use T8 and the remainder will continue to use T7
  • As for GGLs using the Chelsea flying domestically on AA, the position is not clear. The question has been asked of London and the answer is expected sometime next week. The agent at the CCR today (who will be working in the Chelsea lounge) said that if there’s ambiguity then he will definitely be admitting GGLs. However, AA agents (who know nothing about GGL) probably will not. This will hopefully be cleared up next week.
End of an era. The Chelsea lounge may have great stonework and a fire pit but it’s no CCR.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
fire pit is clearly de rigueur these days, the new DCA AC has one

Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by golfmad
Greetings from the JFK CCR. Here’s the latest news from the people behind the desk. Some of this has already been reported but I asked specifically the question about the Chelsea lounge for GGL folk traveling domestically on AA. Here goes:
  • The Chelsea will not be opening prior to 1st December
  • From Nov 17th until the switch over Dec 1st , the first flight and the last flight will use T8 and the remainder will continue to use T7
  • As for GGLs using the Chelsea flying domestically on AA, the position is not clear. The question has been asked of London and the answer is expected sometime next week. The agent at the CCR today (who will be working in the Chelsea lounge) said that if there’s ambiguity then he will definitely be admitting GGLs. However, AA agents (who know nothing about GGL) probably will not. This will hopefully be cleared up next week.
End of an era. The Chelsea lounge may have great stonework and a fire pit but it’s no CCR.
Incredible update. Appreciate it.

It sounds like we're definitely in a better position than the ambiguous starting point we had..! Feeling very positive now.

Follow-up question. Will they have mixed agents on the front desk? Perhaps we'll need to wait to ID the person at the front and make sure they're GGL agents before approaching if on a domestic..!
TheRealBabushka likes this.

Last edited by jjLDNY; Nov 11, 2022 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
*Mods you can delete this*

I took too long to reply and golfmad's answer has covered everything I was going to say in detail!
Sorry

If anyone has any (relevant) questions I’m here in JFK for a few hours and can ask the knowledgeable staff.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Sorry

If anyone has any (relevant) questions I’m here in JFK for a few hours and can ask the knowledgeable staff.
Hah, no you're fine.

Is it just the Chelsea that they don't expect to open before the 1st?

And as in my edit. Will they have mixed agents on the front-desk?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry

A "plan B" question of sort I guess for those of us flying in early December: Chelsea opening is due 1/12 but who knows about delays whilst presumably flights themselves will smoothly be moved to T8... if there is any delay with the lounge opening, will they allow GGL pax into FFD? (F pax would lalready have that anyway even under standard arrangements).

Also is the uncertainty only about domestic itineraries (which I would understand) or will it also apply if one flies e.g. QR or AY which also use T8?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:56 pm

Incredible update. Appreciate it.

It sounds like we're definitely in a better position than the ambiguous starting point we had..! Feeling very positive now.

Follow-up question. Will they have mixed agents on the front desk? Perhaps we'll need to wait to ID the person at the front and make sure they're GGL agents before approaching if on a domestic..!
There will definitely be staff from BA and AA at the entrance to the Chelsea but it’s not clear to anyone yet whether they will be there at the same time. The point being that there may not be a BA person for you to charm when you turn up. We’re going to have to wait and see.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:01 pm

Hah, no you're fine.

Is it just the Chelsea that they don't expect to open before the 1st?
Runs away to ask… Ok I’m back.

All three (Soho, Chelsea and Greenwich) are planned to open on 1 Dec.
wrp96 and jjLDNY like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
A "plan B" question of sort I guess for those of us flying in early December: Chelsea opening is due 1/12 but who knows about delays whilst presumably flights themselves will smoothly be moved to T8... if there is any delay with the lounge opening, will they allow GGL pax into FFD? (F pax would lalready have that anyway even under standard arrangements).

Also is the uncertainty only about domestic itineraries (which I would understand) or will it also apply if one flies e.g. QR or AY which also use T8?
Good questions. There’s no answer on FFD either at the moment. I suspect that will have to be addressed if there are delays opening the lounges. As for other oneworld airlines, my guess is that it will be the same for all non BA flights. We just need to wait for the policy to be established.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From what I can make out, a lot of decisions have been made this week and are being communicated internally, so it would not surprise me if there was a GGL communication to members, possibly close to 1 December in case of slippage.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Can't remember where I saw this, but I'll put this in as darapoint.

Just arrived at JFK from SFO after slumming it in economy (no theoretical seat blocking for me)..
Popped to the Flagship lounge to see about a shower.
No issues getting in with OWE (and maybe the fact I've a BA flight later).
Did have a little chat about the Chelsea lounge to the agents on the desk
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Can't remember where I saw this, but I'll put this in as darapoint.

Just arrived at JFK from SFO after slumming it in economy (no theoretical seat blocking for me)..
Popped to the Flagship lounge to see about a shower.
No issues getting in with OWE (and maybe the fact I've a BA flight later).
Did have a little chat about the Chelsea lounge to the agents on the desk
There are no restrictions using AA lounges on arrival and no need to have a flight later. Your Emerald status is all you needed.
wrp96 and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are no restrictions using AA lounges on arrival and no need to have a flight later. Your Emerald status is all you needed.
Sapphire will also work plus a same day AA, BA or oneworld flight before or after.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
At LAX they sometimes didnīt let me in when only on Arrival.
Is it somewhere written that BA Emerald can get into the AA Flagship Lounge also as Arrival lounge ?
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I can make out, a lot of decisions have been made this week and are being communicated internally, so it would not surprise me if there was a GGL communication to members, possibly close to 1 December in case of slippage.
Will ask my contact end of the week for some news.
But if they do nit want to have all the details be published before a certain day we also have to respect that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.