Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long-haul catering changes: announcement on 12 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long-haul catering changes: announcement on 12 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
Do you know if LGW and LHR will both return simultaneously or will it be phased? I have an early Nov. long-haul!
It has been so inconsistent that I am not expecting much.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
Do you know if LGW and LHR will both return simultaneously or will it be phased? I have an early Nov. long-haul!
I would have thought LGW and LHR will be at the same time.
FamilyOf6 and markmac like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From mid August BA will be rostering one more crewmember on the A350, this takes it back to the pre-pandemic crewing numbers and a full crew in CW.
MaxFlyer, wrp96, Royalscot and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
What does 'hot bakery' mean in WTP?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
What does 'hot bakery' mean in WTP?
They stick your mass catered bread roll in the oven..
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Schwann
They stick your mass catered bread roll in the oven..
Fun.

I think the return of the 2nd hot meal in WTP/WT will be welcome. The half sandwich and kitkat was pretty puny.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Club World will return to its pre-pandemic offering in late October which is when we will reintroduce different service elements. This gives us the opportunity to do the bulk of the changes at once.
When you say we, is that the royal 'we' or are you back with BA?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
When you say we, is that the royal 'we' or are you back with BA?
Force of habit.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:16 pm

Why did they get rid of trolleys in Club in the first place? Nothing wrong with them, they can be perfectly premium, and they allow for efficiency of service. Which to be frank is a necessity when you can have 60+ people in a cabin. Someone at BA really needs to get a grip.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some idiot designed the new CW service with all the beautiful serving equipment and pizzazz but didn’t think about the narrower aisles with the Club Suite.
BA wasted millions when it was scrapped but are too stupid or pigheaded to realised that the only way to deliver the CW service with these huge cabins is to use the old trolleys, until they go back to these they will only be putting a sticking plaster on the problem.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Some idiot designed the new CW service with all the beautiful serving equipment and pizzazz but didn’t think about the narrower aisles with the Club Suite.
BA wasted millions when it was scrapped but are too stupid or pigheaded to realised that the only way to deliver the CW service with these huge cabins is to use the old trolleys, until they go back to these they will only be putting a sticking plaster on the problem.
I totally agree.
Please allow me to rant a bit ...
It really is just common sense that using trolleys is far quicker and more efficient. Which means happier passengers and better quality of service.
Its an aeroplane - not a restaurant - however much the management may tout a "restaurant style" service, it can't and shouldn't be.
I do want to enjoy a drink (well , two actually) before the meal. I don't want the meal service to go on for 3 hours with a massive wait between courses. I do want a top up of wine during the meal. I would like a glass of water too.
I do want to enjoy some chat with the crew as they move through the cabin with the trolley, rather than a quick hello and then they rush off to the galley and rush back for each passenger. The backwards and forwards really increases the time to accomplish the drinks round. And I really feel for the poor crew members who must get exhausted doing all the running up and down.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Couldn’t agree more! Who cares about the meal coming off a trolley if what you get is promptly served and decent quality. On Qantas and Delta they even throw a cover over them to make them look more presentable. I’m sure I saw trolleys even on SQ.
bafan, RoyalSwazi and camdentown like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG PLT
I too agree. I've actually always appreciated the way Delta does this with a trolley (at least pre-Covid). The first pass is to lay the table (cutlery and cloth) do the first drink and also give you the amuse bouche. They usually start from the Galley, so if you're conveniently placed, you get served first plus a top up as they come back up the aisle. Next trolley service is usually for soup, salad and starter, plus wines for top up. For the main course they tend to dispense with the trolley and just serve the mains individually as they come out of the ovens and then the final course is the cheese and dessert trolley along with port and dessert wine. Often they'll do a final trolley with tea, coffee and liqueurs. The whole thing gives you a definite feel of individual courses but is served from the trolley. Timing isn't usually a problem because everyone's finished the amuse bouche by the second trolley (it's usually small) and the individual serving of the mains means they can wait until you're done with soup, salad and starter before bringing the main. They don't usually start the dessert trolley until most of the cabin is done with mains.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
It's not just BA, VS did this too with one of their new Upper Class seats on their A330 in the 2012. The now scrapped Dream Suite left the aisles too narrow for the trolley to fit down. Meal service was chaotic as a person I know who took a flight which wasn't even full told me. Crew started off saying the delivery of meals was done without a trolley to give a more personal touch. They later admitted to him that someone had seriously cocked up with the suite size. He also told me that the Dream Suite was horrible to sit in.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
On the "to trolley or not to trolley?" question, given the providers, it is worth remembering that DO&CO designed purposeful trolley service for their "feature" clients OS and TK, using the trolleys as proper carts. It enabled the customers to specific which (e.g.) mezze or sides or desserts they wanted and have them served to order by the crew. AZ did the same, and in fact, if I remember, when the DO&CO J service was introduced by BA on the LHR-JFK route, it was a similar cart concept used. I know some crew complained about it, but as a customer I liked it a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.