Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long-haul catering changes: announcement on 12 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long-haul catering changes: announcement on 12 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
The Do&Co 2018 trolley concept took a lot of prep since ‘diners’ would choose from the trolley for starts and desserts — not a fast service on an overnighter! But maybe a simplified version of it would work again?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I would rather have high-quality produce cooked creatively and sympathetically and served from a shopping trolley than mediocre food wheeled out on the most beautiful of hostess trolleys.

The focus of BA is all wrong, they are all about the presentation rather than the substantive content.
Dave_C, MaxFlyer, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not only is the Do&Co equipment no longer fit for purpose but the galleys sizes have been reduced to the point of stupidity!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I would rather have high-quality produce cooked creatively and sympathetically and served from a shopping trolley than mediocre food wheeled out on the most beautiful of hostess trolleys.

The focus of BA is all wrong, they are all about the presentation rather than the substantive content.
Exactly what I said to BA management a couple of months ago. I don't care if it comes on the back of a donkey if I don't have to wait ages and it is decent quality. The response was customers told us they prefer no trolleys so they can get out of their seat. I mean really how long does it delay you from getting out of the seat for? It's not hours. And most people don't tend to get up during the meal anyway.

The problem is that BA don't ask the correct questions. If you ask people if they prefer not to have trolleys, most people would say yes. If you asked would you rather have a trolley than slow service to get a substandard meal on one tray, I'm pretty sure the answer is different!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought the lack of trolleys now was something to do with crew levels and aisle widths on the A350? BA appears to have dressed up a technical limitation with the usual “…our customers have told us…”.

i wonder if it was also the customers who told them to have very limited galley space on the a350 as well - so much so that the crew often block the loos at doors 1 to passengers to allow them to do the service.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think (but 100% sure) that the trolleys are able to be used in the cabin, BA has just choose not too.
wrp96, alex67500, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by jejb
I too agree. I've actually always appreciated the way Delta does this with a trolley (at least pre-Covid). The first pass is to lay the table (cutlery and cloth) do the first drink and also give you the amuse bouche. They usually start from the Galley, so if you're conveniently placed, you get served first plus a top up as they come back up the aisle. Next trolley service is usually for soup, salad and starter, plus wines for top up. For the main course they tend to dispense with the trolley and just serve the mains individually as they come out of the ovens and then the final course is the cheese and dessert trolley along with port and dessert wine. Often they'll do a final trolley with tea, coffee and liqueurs. The whole thing gives you a definite feel of individual courses but is served from the trolley. Timing isn't usually a problem because everyone's finished the amuse bouche by the second trolley (it's usually small) and the individual serving of the mains means they can wait until you're done with soup, salad and starter before bringing the main. They don't usually start the dessert trolley until most of the cabin is done with mains.
Finnair has something like this going on now. I really liked it, it was fast but friendly and still personable to my selection. and it looked like it was easy enough for the crew to manoeuver the smaller carts in the aisles. SAS too - loved the pre meal cocktail trolley pre-Covid where they clearly had the special signature cocktail fixings on the top of the cart and it looked like a proper bar cart with a white cloth and everything. I dislike when specialty cocktails are advertised but it seems like too much trouble to ask the crew. because either the service flow or attitude is not amenable to delivery. And yes, damnit, sometimes I want other than a can of mixer and two bottles of mini gins plonked down on the tray in front of me along with a glass with a single cube.

CIHY - is it just food getting a refresh/reup or are there some aspects of the soft product too? A new amenity kit would be nice, but I think there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FIRST
Warm Nuts served with pre-departure welcome drink.
Delivery of amenity kit, loungewear and slippers pre-departure.
Hot/cold towel service pre departure, after the meal service and as part of the wake-up experience.
Return of hot starter and soup which is to be poured in the cabin, alongside a hot dessert.

CLUB WORLD
Remove plastic lids from tray before presenting to customer.
Resumption of beverage selection at the Club Kitchen.
Band 9, ex LHR chilled Club Kitchen items loaded in the chiller.

WORLD TRAVELLER/ WORLD TRAVELLER

Menus delivered to WTP before take-off.
Hot/ cold towels after take-off in WTP.
Warm bread for WTP.
Introduction of hot snack or hot meal for secondary service.
Introduction of Goodnight Service' between 21.30 and 03.59. (Combined meal and bar service)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks CIHY, that's great!!!

By the way, you mention band 9, but is the banding system for long haul available anywhere? I don't think we have ever seen it on FT or at any rate cannot find it (only for the short haul).
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is all I can find.

We’re progressively re-introducing chilled Club Kitchen
items, starting with our longest (band 9) ights, for example:​ ​
BLR, JNB, LAX. Chilled Club Kitchen favourites such as​ ​ ​
sandwiches, cakes, salads, fresh fruit, yoghurt and snack pots will​ ​ ​
be loaded from London and from local stations for the return ight.​
MaxFlyer, orbitmic and jj_lgkr like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Clearly some tectonic plates are shifting since I've too have some information on what's in the new menus. I'm using LHR-JFK, so that applies also to many similar routes including the wole Eastern Seaboard and places like Seattle.

============================
First

If you are joining us for lunch in First, then it's

Lunch
Warm bakery selection served with butter and olive oil

Canapés
Prosciutto with melon, smoked salmon with cream cheese and cucumber, fire roasted red pepper roulade with goat's cheese

Starters
Beef tataki truffle ponzu dressing
Loch Fyne smoked salmon caviar, avocado, wasabi dressing
Double baked soufflé asparagus, morel sauce
Carrot ginger soup ricotta croquette
Seasonal mixed leaf salad

Mains
Slow cooked lamb shank celeriac mousseline, ratatouille, rosemary jus
Chicken tikka masala jeera pulao, dal makhani
Pan seared turbot crushed herbed potatoes, lobster sauce
Ricotta stuffed courgettes caponata, courgette crème
--
Selection of Sides Turned potatoes, roasted red pepper, baby carrot and baby corn with broccolini
==
Dessert
Cheese
Cornish Yarg Coated with nettle leaves, this cow's milk cheese is moist with a slight tangy flavour
Rutland Red A flaky cheese with slightly sweet, caramelised flavour and rich golden colour
Blanche Goat's Cheese This goat's cheese has a wrinkly rind with a smooth texture underneath and a delicate and creamy taste
Yorkshire Blue A blue cheese with uniform blue veining and creaminess; this cheese is buttery, sweet and mild in flavour
--
Savoury biscuits, plum chutney, grapes, apricots

Desserts
Passion fruit and hazelnut tart vanilla ice cream
Crêpes Suzette vanilla ice cream
Homemade strawberry ice cream fresh strawberries, strawberry coulis and crunchy white chocolate pearls
Fresh seasonal berries

Snacks
Enjoy a light bite at any time during your flight
Popcorn
Selection of Tyrrells hand cooked English crisps
Lindt truffles (we've got a barn load to get rid of somehow)

====

Afternoon Tea
We invite you to experience our afternoon tea service, celebrating the Great British tradition of high tea, including tea, with a selection of sandwiches, delicious handmade pastries and sweet treats

Sandwiches
Roast beef on brioche, smoked salmon with cream cheese on pumpernickel, cucumber mint on black tramezzini

Charcuterie plate
British roast beef
Niçoise salad

Pâtisserie
A selection of fine patisserie featuring
Choux bun
Double chocolate layer cake
Raspberry delice

Scones & Jam
Freshly baked plain or fruit scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve
========================================

Club World

Starter
Avocado and edamame super green salad, wasabi cream

Please choose from
Braised Welsh lamb shank broccolini, sweet potato mousseline

Chicken tikka masala saag aloo, basmati rice, paratha

Ricotta mezzaluna asparagus, mushrooms, panna sauce
==
Selection of desserts & cheese
Traditional Italian tiramisu

Cheese board
Mature Cheddar
Red Leicester chutney

===

Light Meal prior to landing

Please choose from
Ham and cheese panini
Avocado and ricotta on rye bread

Dessert
Traditional walnut and coffee cake

Tea
Speciality Coffee sourced direct from smallholder farmers in Peru & Honduras and hand roasted in small batches in East London
========================================

World Traveller Plus

Starter
Couscous tabbouleh, coriander yoghurt

Mains
Braised lamb shank, pea mousseline, roasted cauliflower, rosemary jus
or
Chicken tikka masala, pilaf rice
or
Rigatoni pasta, bocconcini, slow roasted tomato sauce

Dessert
Passion fruit panna cotta and Cheese and crackers

Light Snack
Prior to landing, a light refreshment will be served with your choice of beverage
===============
Jimmie76, orbitmic, JTXC and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The CW catering looks similar to it's current state?
Dave_C, AmaaiZeg and Pack like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Now, I'd love to see them do actual Crepes Suzette, flambeed to order by the seat side by the SCCM... or perhaps not!

PS: and no, I do not want to know what they call a "salade Nicoise". Spare me the shock, please!

PPS: the F menu now definitely looks like it is back to pre-covid, indeed including some of the dishes we had (and in my case enjoyed) in the past!
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where is the salad course in First?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I love how they're stringing out enhancing the J service until October, it really is pathetic.... they could do so much better with the tray service even if it is an interim until October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.