Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by mrpacifist
That's very helpful, thank you. So all other short and long-haul destinations of the BA network still have masks required?
I should clarify that this is what’s been issued to CityFlyer crew so I can’t comment as to longhaul destinations unfortunately.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Called in to London City Airport this morning. Ostensibly to change currency (I live in walking distance) but Travelex is still closed. Very quiet there with about 70% wearing masks. Vast majority of arriving passengers were wearing masks.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:55 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
I booked a flight for Sunday on the basis of the information originally released (ie mask no longer required).

What a farce.
Booking a flight on the basis that you won't be asked to wear a mask seems to be asking for trouble.
DoB840 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
It's all starting to sound like a flight to Jeddah. Depending on the location, and where you are, needing to cover up.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
You will be required to wear a mask on board our flights if the destination you’re travelling to or from requires you to
I don't understand. What rules, laws or legislation requires this? The rules on board have always been in the realm of the operating carrier. US airlines don't allow anyone to congregate or queue for the bathrooms, certain Middle Eastern countries are bone dry. But BA don't align with either of these rules flying to the US or the ME. Surely the rules should simply be to don the mask at top of descent into the area which requires one on disembarking. Likewise a US-UK flight would allow masks off once seat belt signs are extinguished in the climb out. The notion that a carrier registered in England operating a British aeroplane under CAA regulations needs to have US FAA health mandates on British citizens over British airspace is an interesting one.

Can anyone quote me the relevant US or other legislation BA are being wary of here?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Can anyone quote me the relevant US or other legislation BA are being wary of here?
Here you go:

https://www.transportation.gov/safet...federal%20law.

Here's the relevant part for international flights:

"This Order must be followed by all passengers on public conveyances (e.g., airplanes, ships, ferries, trains, subways, buses, taxis, rideshares) traveling into, within, or out of the United States as well as conveyance operators (e.g., crew, drivers, conductors, and other workers involved in the operation of conveyances)." (Emphasis added.)

​​​​

No airline -- foreign or domestic -- is forced to fly into or out of the United States. If a foreign airline chooses to serve the United States, it must comply with U.S. laws, rules, and regulations, including the emergency order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Here you go:

"This Order must be followed by all passengers on public conveyances (e.g., airplanes, ships, ferries, trains, subways, buses, taxis, rideshares) traveling into, within, or out of the United States as well as conveyance operators (e.g., crew, drivers, conductors, and other workers involved in the operation of conveyances)." (Emphasis added.)

​​​​

No airline -- foreign or domestic -- is forced to fly into or out of the United States. If a foreign airline chooses to serve the United States, it must comply with U.S. laws, rules, and regulations, including the emergency order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What does the U.S. care, once a plane has left the ground?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yes. That’s exactly right. The US banned smoking on all incoming and outgoing flights before the carriers themselves banned smoking. In 2000, you could smoke on Swissair from Zurich to Madrid, but not from Zurich to Chicago.
chrisny2 and DoB840 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
That's a question best directed to the CDC. But if I had to guess, I'd say that the CDC is trying to protect the health of Americans who are likely to be on the plane -- and who are likely to be returning to the U.S.
chrisny2, zzz222, mpkz and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Are you seriously asking why the US cares about aviation safety standards at foreign airlines flying to the US?
DoB840 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The lawyers may be getting a little twitchy on this one. What if a USA based passenger duly attributed their COVID-19 infection to BA's failure to follow federal law and started procedings against BA on that basis? What if they booked an AA codeshare and found out late in the game what metal they were really on? If I was in BA Legal I would want to procede with caution.
Schultzois, mpkz, Smiley90 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The lawyers may be getting a little twitchy on this one. What if a USA based passenger duly attributed their COVID-19 infection to BA's failure to follow federal law and started procedings against BA on that basis? What if they booked an AA codeshare and found out late in the game what metal they were really on? If I was in BA Legal I would want to procede with caution.
If that's the logic then no airline can remove face cover policies until the US does since any flight could contain a USA based passenger who may be connecting onwards to the USA. I am not sure I see it myself, and if that reasoning is correct I think it an overly cautious approach.

I am also not clear why this wasn't squared off before BA announced the change. Does no one speak to each other at BA or do they all work in silos?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
Are you seriously asking why the US cares about aviation safety standards at foreign airlines flying to the US?
Aviation safety standards? Like the 737 Max, you mean?

I specifically referenced flights going FROM the U.S.
volabam likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:23 pm

Any reports of masks off on tonight's flights?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Here you go:

​​​​

A strict reading, and reasonable interpretation, of the rules is that flights departing the USA only need to be masked wile still over the USA but not once over international waters.
vanmunchen, dlaue and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.