Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I don't for one second believe that would happen, but the best way of ruling that possibility out during the transition period is for all passengers to follow the instructions from the crew - if crew say masks are required for a flight put them on when asked to do so without challenge or confrontation. They don't make the rules, they are simply following company instructions.
Amen to this. Lots of people forgetting the last point in particular. We mustn’t forget that BA’s announcement, though botched up for 24 - 48 hours after, was indeed a surprise of sorts and it was quite commonly predicted that there might not have been a relaxation until the US relaxed mask rules. So the fact BA (and LHR) have dropped it prior to this is indeed encouraging. Yes the list is small, yes BA comms could be a lot better/clearer, but let’s look at the brighter side - we’re definitely looking at better days ahead of us.
LETTERBOY and Misco60 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would be very wary of this sort of statement. Every opinion poll and every piece of market research that I've seen for the UK over the last few months has shown the public support a fairly rigorous imposition of mask mandates. It doesn't seem to matter if the poll or research is commission by UKHSA, the Cabinet Office, media organisations or consumer groups, they all more or less point the same way. As a general point "most of us" means "me and fellow minded people" regardless of actual size.
And I genuinely think every opinion poll on this is wrong, in that they systematically overstate the public's desire for masks to be compulsory. I don't know why this is, but my sense is there is a real gap between what people think they should think, versus what they actually want.
bakera, the810, skipness1E and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I don't for one second believe that would happen, but the best way of ruling that possibility out during the transition period is for all passengers to follow the instructions from the crew - if crew say masks are required for a flight put them on when asked to do so without challenge or confrontation. They don't make the rules, they are simply following company instructions.
The problem is that people make choices depending on whether masks are or aren't required. That's why this mess started - BA was forced to remove masks after their competitors did so. But at the same time, BA remains unable to properly communicate which flights require masks and which don't to their customers. Even now, several days after they introduced these rules.

If you promise something to your customers to lure them into buying tickets and then don't deliver on that promise, it's a recipe for disaster. I understand that rules are changing all the time and BA can't be held responsible for any last minute decisions by individual countries. But the least they can do is informing their passengers about their policy on individual routes.
LETTERBOY and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
So are all inbound flights to the UK mask free?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
So are all inbound flights to the UK mask free?
No. Only destinations listed above in Wiki are mask-free (if one wishes to continue wearing their mask, they are very much permitted to) in both directions. All other routes masks continue in both directions also.
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
And I genuinely think every opinion poll on this is wrong, in that they systematically overstate the public's desire for masks to be compulsory. I don't know why this is, but my sense is there is a real gap between what people think they should think, versus what they actually want.
I do have a laugh when I see the latest poll stating 58% or whatever of people think masks should still be compulsory, then I go into a supermarket and barely anyone is wearing one. You can see with your own eyes that the poll's finding is absolute nonsense. If people genuinely thought they should be compulsory, they'd still be wearing them when they aren't required by law.

I really don't know why the polls are so out of sync with what is actually happening in this matter. The real world evidence, which is plain to see, is that most people do not want to wear them.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:32 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

I would be very wary of this sort of statement. Every opinion poll and every piece of market research that I've seen for the UK over the last few months has shown the public support a fairly rigorous imposition of mask mandates. It doesn't seem to matter if the poll or research is commission by UKHSA, the Cabinet Office, media organisations or consumer groups, they all more or less point the same way. As a general point "most of us" means "me and fellow minded people" regardless of actual size.

This is a matter of timing, 23 March is a big day within Europe, potentially 19 April in USA, so with a bit of patience there will be a time when this will become much easier. BA at least isn't striving to be the last airline to work this space and after a bit of a hiccup on day 1, we now have a clear list of places where there isn't a maskmandate.
One could argue that the type of person that would participate in such polls would be the type that would support mask mandated. I would take them with a pinch of salt. Walking around Heathrow last night I think it was clear that most people don’t want to wear them.
bakera, LETTERBOY, the810 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Opinion polls are often used just as much to drive behaviour rather than neutrally measure opinion. They are on occasion, incredibly wrong when compare with the real test of an election.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by the810
The problem is that people make choices depending on whether masks are or aren't required. That's why this mess started - BA was forced to remove masks after their competitors did so. But at the same time, BA remains unable to properly communicate which flights require masks and which don't to their customers. Even now, several days after they introduced these rules.

If you promise something to your customers to lure them into buying tickets and then don't deliver on that promise, it's a recipe for disaster. I understand that rules are changing all the time and BA can't be held responsible for any last minute decisions by individual countries. But the least they can do is informing their passengers about their policy on individual routes.
I would be very surprised if there are that many travellers (percentage wise) who would make a decision to travel based purely on whether masks are optional on a particular aircraft. What mess are you referring to? There really isn't any mess as far as I can see, it is simple - for the time being everyone should carry as mask with them when travelling, once at the gate and/or on board listen to the announcement and if asked to put the mask on, do so.

For those who are really so bothered about whether masks are required or not, they can click on the links provided in the wiki above and there shall be found some guidance. If wearing a mask (or not) is so important then the best option is to not travel on BA (or any other airline whose policy is inconsistent with your want).

Alternatively, a traveller who is so bothered can do a little research to see if the country they want to travel to has a mask mandate for public transport.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I would be very surprised if there are that many travellers (percentage wise) who would make a decision to travel based purely on whether masks are optional on a particular aircraft.
Yes, there is. Otherwise BA wouldn't bother with this messy implementation and simply kept the network-wide mask mandate. They clearly see a commercial benefit.

For those who are really so bothered about whether masks are required or not, they can click on the links provided in the wiki above and there shall be found some guidance. If wearing a mask (or not) is so important then the best option is to not travel on BA (or any other airline whose policy is inconsistent with your want).
The problem is that those links don't provide information on where BA requires masks and where it doesn't. Wiki is great for us who visit FT but most of the general public doesn't have any source. It should be fairly easy for BA to provide the information to passengers.

Alternatively, a traveller who is so bothered can do a little research to see if the country they want to travel to has a mask mandate for public transport.
As long as BA interprets the rules the same way as traveller and local authorities. There seem to be some inconsistencies. Also, BA's website doesn't make it clear whether they base their rules on local rules for public transportation (although it appears to be the case).

I'm confident my routes will be OK. But I understand why some people are disappointed as BA doesn't make it clear which flights are mask-free. Especially in a situation where other carriers (primarily Jet2) took much more liberal approach.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:04 am

I'm confident my routes will be OK.
Well hopefully, your proposed routes are amongst the destinations in the Wiki above, as if it's anywhere else, it's masks on both ways as irrespective of our own interpretations of rules of various destinations, BA is sticking to the destinations above internally. Though of course, you might be preferring the latter and I shouldn't assume you would prefer a mask-free flight
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Oh yes, I'm fully aware that "I want tough restrictions" has that hidden clause "for everyone else". Be it crime, immigration, taxes or dare I suggest lounge entry. But in the case of masks there is a bit of a logic that says "we all do this or no-one does this". As someone who works in this field the frustrating bit for me is the failure to understand that masks never stood alone, it was in connection with everything else (notably social distancing) and everyone else. I guess I and my colleagues share some responsibility for not explaining how viruses work, but also feel some people could only think of themselves - again the "for everyone else".
The masking message was lost in the UK at the start of the pandemic, when the government actively encouraged people not use them as the rest if the world masked up.

No one likes to admit they’re wrong.

As an Englishmen living in the Massachusetts (where masks were fully embraced post a huge number of deaths early on), I’ve been amazed by the selfishness of the majority of English in trying to do anything they can to not wear masks.

My trips home have been a real eye opener. Happy to clap every Thursday night for a bit not happy to wear a mask in Tesco for 10 minutes.

The tales of the many ‘exempt’ in the UK is utterly hilarious when you live somewhere where you see you no one maskless and no one endlessly whining about it, whether they like it or not
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Yes, there is. Otherwise BA wouldn't bother with this messy implementation and simply kept the network-wide mask mandate. They clearly see a commercial benefit.
It’s definitely an interesting question. As you say they must see value in it, I assume backed up by research.

I’d have assumed people wanting to travel would’ve not be out off by masks on the plane. While those too nervous to travel will be even more nervous with masks gone.

From this thread alone it’s clear that being able to travel mask free is a big attraction to many, BA must feel that they’ll attract more than put off with the policy, even if it is just a a stunt to try to get people thinking it’s back to the good ol days
the810, nancypants and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
As an Englishmen living in the Massachusetts (where masks were fully embraced post a huge number of deaths early on), I’ve been amazed by the selfishness of the majority of English in trying to do anything they can to not wear masks.
You don't need to go too far to find even more nonsensical views/thoughts/"selfish" behaviour within the US! You just happen to be in the "right" (at least right in terms of conforming with your views on the matter) state along with a handful of others. This apparent high level of mask compliance is only in scattered pockets of the country. The "unspoken" America that doesn't appear in the media much likely has a far worse, borderline hysterical, attitude/view towards the entire pandemic, never mind masks alone!

Again, masks aren't natural, we have had vaccinations, a much higher percentage of the population than in the US, hospitals aren't anywhere near as overwhelmed as they were in earlier parts of the pandemic, I don't think it's unreasonable for the British public to want to wish for some "normality" or at least try to adjust/adapt with the virus around us. I do think it's unreasonable to label anybody that prefers not to wear a mask (when not mandated by law) to not want to. I don't believe this counts as selfishness at all.

Anyway, I digress and mustn't let this become a political discussion or another discussion about mask efficacy!

Last edited by AirbusA350; Mar 19, 2022 at 7:22 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Well hopefully, your proposed routes are amongst the destinations in the Wiki above, as if it's anywhere else, it's masks on both ways as irrespective of our own interpretations of rules of various destinations, BA is sticking to the destinations above internally. Though of course, you might be preferring the latter and I shouldn't assume you would prefer a mask-free flight
Yes, they are on the list ARN and OSL.
AirbusA350 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.