Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Old Mar 17, 22, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 28th November 2022):
  • Grenada
  • Japan
  • Morocco
  • Seychelles
  • Spain
You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from the following countries (as of 28th November 2022):
  • Grenada
  • Spain

More information will be found here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...irus/steps-123
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 17, 22, 2:09 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Just tried to board my flight from Belfast to Heathrow. Was told that I need a mask for the flight, despite mask mandates being a requirement at neither destination.

The first example of what is going to become a messy policy on masks.

The statement online issued by BA and on its Social Media are completely misleading.

Im flying domestic From a country with NO Covid Laws to another country with NO Covid laws. Yet still im expected to wear a mask? Would love to know which routes this actually applies.

Last edited by JD1905; Mar 22, 22 at 11:13 am Reason: Change topic title
Old Mar 17, 22, 2:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It appears BA decided at the last minute to continue with its mask mandate, at least temporarily, due to compliance concerns. The subject is being discussed toward the end of this topic: Jet2 Optional Face Masks - will BA follow?
orbitmic, nivsy and JD1905 like this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 3:41 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Not that I enjoy the face mask threads. But with the fact BA have reversed their decision to remove masks I do think it should be worthy of its own topic.

I intentionally didnt read the Jet2 Topic yesterday as didnt think itd be of interest.
Old Mar 17, 22, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yesterday afternoon, LHR-JER, masks were also required. Very confusing [and irritating] given the pervious announcement.
Old Mar 17, 22, 3:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JackDann View Post
Not that I enjoy the face mask threads. But with the fact BA have reversed their decision to remove masks I do think it should be worthy of it’s own topic.

I intentionally didn’t read the Jet2 Topic yesterday as didn’t think it’d be of interest.
There were two topics on this very subject that were closed several times because there were a number of radical anti/pro-maskers who insisted on taking the threads off topic. Rather than discussing the practicalities of the new policy the threads were taken off topic rather quickly with discussion on the politics or efficacy of mask wearing. Given the continued confusion on what the current policy is, hopefully we can keep the discussion firmly on policy and practicality so travellers can travel armed with the latest up to date and accurate information.
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
With no legal basis for them being a requirement then I fail to see how it can be mandatory that you have to wear one. Its no problem for me personally to wear one but BA need to be more clearer with this policy. I assume Heathrow are still going ahead with dropping mask wearing still? All very cloudy and the waters are muddy
volabam likes this.

Last edited by Magnus77; Mar 17, 22 at 4:40 am
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magnus77 View Post
With no legal basis for them being a requirement then I fail to see how it can be mandatory that you have to wear one. Its no problem for me personally to wear one but BA need to be more clearer with this policy.
There is legal basis for the requirement in the contract of carriage.
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
One would assume then if they dropped them then they would have to change the conditions of carriage again. Maybe this is the issue they will not allude to
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Hopefully they will have a box of masks for passengers turning up without one given the announcement that they have not yet rescinded. Was this the case, or was it a scramble to go and find one somewhere if you didn't have one?

Probably less of an issue for destinations that require them even in limited settings, as passengers will be prepared for that. You can even ask.the friendly immigration officers for one after you've landed.
LETTERBOY, the810, paulaf and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Hopefully they will have a box of masks for passengers turning up without one given the announcement that they have not yet rescinded. Was this the case, or was it a scramble to go and find one somewhere if you didn't have one?
Heard that crew were at the gate with masks for those that didnt have one.
Old Mar 17, 22, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by marconess View Post
Heard that crew were at the gate with masks for those that didnt have one.
At least they were prepared for that, rather than have several people heading off to WH Smith at once.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 5:15 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Is that any more/less a legal requirement than the TFL policy, which was found to be not legally enforceable as I remember?
FMDXR and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 5:35 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Was in heathrow T5 and BA Galleries South lounge a few hours ago. 9 out of 10 guests continuing mask usage.

Lovely BA employees enforcing mask wearing. Good on them. Mask up and dont be selfish. 2 years into the pandemic and some asinine travelers here think the UK is Florida all of a sudden.
zzz222, VSLover, Genius1 and 16 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magnus77 View Post
One would assume then if they dropped them then they would have to change the conditions of carriage again. Maybe this is the issue they will not allude to
No need to change them. The conditions allow them to require the wearing of masks. It does not force them to do so.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 22, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeeler View Post
Is that any more/less a legal requirement than the TFL policy, which was found to be not legally enforceable as I remember?
I am unaware of there having been legal obstacles to including this in TFL's conditions of carriage (as distinct from practical considerations).
IAMORGAN, MiraculousM and DoB840 like this.

Search this Thread