Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Lounges were redesigned during the pandemic so there are greater gaps between seats
Thank you for this post. It was much more helpful and full of real details that I wasn't aware of than I had actually hoped to get from posting on such a contentious thread. It will absolutely be helpful in selecting flights.
skipness1E and [ARG:4 UNDEFINED] like this.
...?! I guess ARG:4 UNDEFINED is my username from now on
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by EJetter
Latest BACF crew guidance is that masks are not required for domestic flights within England and Northern Ireland, and to/from Ireland. Still required for other destinations, in both directions.

Disembarkation by rows has been dropped (on CityFlyer, at least) however if an airbridge or front steps only is used Club Europe will be invited to disembark first with other passengers asked to remain seated.
Does that include flights to/from Scotland as mask are still required up here until at least April.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:05 pm

From what I can see the mask requirements have been removed from the following (so far).

Short Haul

ARN
BHD
BLL
BRU
BUD
CPH
GIB
GOT
KEF
MAN
NCL
OSL

Long Haul

ANU
KWI
MLE
NBO

I’ll try and update as and when 👍🏼
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SonTech
Does that include flights to/from Scotland as mask are still required up here until at least April.
No. I assume Ejetter was careful to write England and NI only for a reason.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:34 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Here you go:

https://www.transportation.gov/safet...federal%20law.

Here's the relevant part for international flights:

"This Order must be followed by all passengers on public conveyances (e.g., airplanes, ships, ferries, trains, subways, buses, taxis, rideshares) traveling into, within, or out of the United States as well as conveyance operators (e.g., crew, drivers, conductors, and other workers involved in the operation of conveyances)." (Emphasis added.)

​​​​

No airline -- foreign or domestic -- is forced to fly into or out of the United States. If a foreign airline chooses to serve the United States, it must comply with U.S. laws, rules, and regulations, including the emergency order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
I thought as much. I am at a loss to know quite how they can control matters once the aircraft has left United States air space. I suspect that homeward bound this will be honoured in the breach rather than the observance.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by the810
This sounds pretty good, but it would be nice if BA actually managed to communicate its list to passengers. Their advice to passengers right now is to check local requirements, but we've seen how airlines can misinterpret rules during the pandemic. For example, the tool that BA uses on their website to check entry requirements claims that masks are required at OSL, which most definitely isn't a case anymore (and hasn't been for over a month).
while that would be ideal it really just isnt scalable to have one person show up to the office each morning and scan every country BA fly to to see what changed overnight hence putting the responsibility on the passenger which is no different than pretty much every other entry requirement we face depending on our passport and country we fly to.

as we can see in these threads all it takes is for BA to say one day country X doesn't require masks but it actually does...and we have another thread about someone being inconvenienced because the website said something different or wrong.

all the differing rules have been a messy patchwork thru the entire pandemic so this latest debacle really is just another straw on the camels proverbial back.
DiamondMile and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I thought as much. I am at a loss to know quite how they can control matters once the aircraft has left United States air space. I suspect that homeward bound this will be honoured in the breach rather than the observance.
The TSA memo is what you want: https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...546-21-01D.pdf

No US entity can force a non-US carrier to do anything once they leave US airspace. But they don't have to grant them a certificate to operate flights to/from the US either. If you want to be able to fly to planes to/from the US, you have to abide by TSA's security directives (none of which, by the way, have anything to do with masks on connections outside the US or non-US flights).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
They can control it the same way they control it for aircraft within U.S. airspace: If they receive evidence from a complainant of non-compliance by a carrier, I would expect that the offending carrier could be fined -- or maybe even barred for flying to or from the U.S.

If a carrier permitted passengers on flights from the U.S. to a foreign country to smoke once the flight was no longer in U.S. airspace, I imagine that a passenger complaint about that would be dealt with in a similar manner.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
From what I can see the mask requirements have been removed from the following (so far).

Short Haul

ARN
BHD
BLL
BRU
BUD
CPH
GIB
GOT
KEF
MAN
NCL
OSL

Long Haul

ANU
KWI
MLE
NBO

I’ll try and update as and when 👍🏼
Thanks but it's a disappointingly short list
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
Thanks but it's a disappointingly short list
It will grow, it's a positive start IMO. After all the doom and gloom in media including excerpts from Ryanair's MOL and other "experts" stating "masks will be with us for a very long time like the liquid restrictions in hand luggage", albeit botched up in classic BA fashion, at least less than 72 hours from announcement (which in itself was quite a surprise as most guessed BA wouldn't drop it till the US do), I think there are a lot of positives to take from this. For everyone, people may continue to choose to wear them, people may not. Some may also vow never to fly BA again, again that's a positive for someone else that may want that seat on a busy flight or someone looking for reward inventory to be freed up! I genuinely believe we're getting there, yes there will be ups and downs, but we are definitely moving on from an intensive pandemic stage. Exactly a month from now, that list could become a lot longer, once US drops their mandate.
":
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
It isn't a matter of control. But if there is a credible report that an airline is not following a mandated legal requirement (even if it is a requirement that YOU (I don't mean PUCCI, I mean any person) don't agree with, then there might be a $xx,xxx fine per plane or even a request to suspend US landing rights. What value do you think BA puts on 30 days of US landing rights?
skipness1E, mpkz, DoB840 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Wow, they came out of the woodworks for this one, and had to go back to the trains...comedy gold from BA....I am glad that BA came back to their senses though...

Last edited by nk15; Mar 17, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
We're not "anti maskers" per se, stop name calling. We just want a return to normality, we don't see masks as much beyond theatre, and if not now, when? Covid is here to stay now, we all have to live with it and understand that forcing everyone to wear a facemask for the rest of their days is neither sensible nor reasonable.
The huge deluge of frightening media has had a lingering effect that will take months and years to undo.
BA are removing the mask mandate and by mid April the US will likely have done so too. So most flying will be heading back to the "old normal", something I was genuinely worried may not happen. How you deal with that, is something you should think about.
JimEddie, BA235, the810 and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
When BA announced it was dropping mask requirements, I immediately booked a flight from Newcastle to Heathrow, instead of taking the train. When I arrived at the airport this morning I was told at the gate masks where required. I showed the crew my newspaper clipping of the BA news. They were very rude about it and refused to let me board without a mask. I tried to explain the BA announcement about removal of the mask requirement but they just shrugged. As I choose not to wear a mask I could not board the flight so I took the train back to London instead.

So what are the rules and why do they keep changing?

Unless you have some medical condition that prevents wearing a mask, could I ask why on earth you would suffer this simply to avoid protecting yourself and others from
possible spreading of a virus ?
Bear96, flygirl68, mpkz and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by VSLover
while that would be ideal it really just isnt scalable to have one person show up to the office each morning and scan every country BA fly to to see what changed overnight hence putting the responsibility on the passenger which is no different than pretty much every other entry requirement we face depending on our passport and country we fly to.
I don't see why not. I literally monitor over 50 territories covid rules and restrictions as part of my job. In one week there is probably only 5 or 6 major changes. You dont check for information, you have a system where the information comes to you.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.