Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: AmEx & Barclaycard Avios Plus
Anyone aware if we can use the Barclaycard upgrade voucher AND the Amex 2-4-1 voucher together?

i.e. I book a premium economy seat with Avios, use the Barclaycard upgrade voucher to upgrade to Business class, and then apply the 2-4-1 voucher so my partner can get a business class seat at no extra cost? (Less taxes and charges).
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
Thanks again for that. All those alerts were switched to off anyway, but possibly because the figure had been defaulted to £500 (why?!!) its caused a problem. I've now amended it to £10K.

Another oddity has now cropped up ....... as an alternative to spending another 40 minutes on the phone to India trying to sort out the car insurance transaction, I used my Curve card instead, with the default card in the wallet now being my Barclaycard (it was previously Cap on Tap).

Ignoring the fact that it had previously taken another two calls to Barclaycard fraud department in India to get my card 'successfully' loaded in my Curve wallet, the transaction appears to have been successful (I have an email from AXA thanking me for renewing) however the transaction is completely absent from my Curve app and my Barclays account, even in pending transactions, even though its now the following day.

I still have no idea whether the transaction will eventually 'bounce' or not, and previously any transaction, however small, with Cap on Tap, pinged my phone to confirm the transaction. Simple. Seamless. Something which Barclaycard definitely is not.

This should be simple bread-and-butter stuff to Barclays. To be honest, I've had more grief from this card than from all the other cards I've ever held in my lifetime, combined!
As an update, the payment to AXA everntually failed, and I could only make a successful 'replacement' payment with my Barclaycard via Curve.

Similarly the previous day I tried making a £250 on line payment (using B'card) to British Gas which failed, as did a second attempt for £200.

I then tried £250 using B'card via Curve - which worked fine, so there's definitely an issue with Barclaycard's 3D verification process with 'new' merchants.
​​​
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by aviosluv
Anyone aware if we can use the Barclaycard upgrade voucher AND the Amex 2-4-1 voucher together?

i.e. I book a premium economy seat with Avios, use the Barclaycard upgrade voucher to upgrade to Business class, and then apply the 2-4-1 voucher so my partner can get a business class seat at no extra cost? (Less taxes and charges).
The BC voucher only offers a) 1 person an upgrade on a return, or b) 2 people an upgrade one way
Dont believe you can book 2 people on a reward booking in different classes.. and surely using a 2.4.1 for just 1 pax is a waste?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AmEx & Barclaycard Avios Plus
Originally Posted by Delboy65
The BC voucher only offers a) 1 person an upgrade on a return, or b) 2 people an upgrade one way
Dont believe you can book 2 people on a reward booking in different classes.. and surely using a 2.4.1 for just 1 pax is a waste?
I see. Wasn’t going to do this anyway, completely hypothetical. Plan on cancelling BC once I’ve got the spend bonus.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by _nate
Well I still have the SMS they sent about the 5k.

ETA: ah, sorry, I am an existing customer - I doubt you would have received an SMS if you were a new customer.
I received a similar SMS as a new customer. This is my first ever Barclaycard. I applied for the free Avios card on 01MAR, approved around 04MAR, received the card on 09MAR and didn't set about using it until April. I received a text towards the end of March advising the following:

Thanks for choosing our new Avios card. We know you may have seen some issues in the first few weeks and we're very sorry about that. We'll be adding 5000 extra Avios points to your BA Executive Club account within the next 6 weeks. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team.

I followed up with a on-line chat via their app and was advised the apology Avios will hit my BA account in the next points cycle. According to the app, Avios will always post 2 working days after the 1st of each month.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
2 quick questions for the hive mind:

How quickly do the vouchers post after hitting the 10k spending?

Can you use the voucher on a one-way for 2 people into the UK, to avoid BA's crazy carrier imposed charges? Or does it need to be part of a round trip booking?

Thank you!
Old May 1, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rtaylore
The text I received about the 5000 Avios, said they would arrive within 6 weeks, which would be Friday 6th May.

Along with the original 25k, I am hoping to use these to book some domestic J flights in Australia next year, so yeah, checking daily...
Ah yeah, forgot the 6 week mention - bet they'll just add it to the pending balance and do it after the next statement to ensure another £20 fee...
Old May 1, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I received a similar SMS as a new customer. This is my first ever Barclaycard. I applied for the free Avios card on 01MAR, approved around 04MAR, received the card on 09MAR and didn't set about using it until April. I received a text towards the end of March advising the following:

Thanks for choosing our new Avios card. We know you may have seen some issues in the first few weeks and we're very sorry about that. We'll be adding 5000 extra Avios points to your BA Executive Club account within the next 6 weeks. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team.

I followed up with a on-line chat via their app and was advised the apology Avios will hit my BA account in the next points cycle. According to the app, Avios will always post 2 working days after the 1st of each month.
You did better than me, the chat team seemed to have zero clue about the 5k compensation amount!
Old May 1, 2022, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

What I meant was that I was an existing customer at the time the 5k was offered. If people had signed up during the 5k extra promise period, i.e., not before as you and I did, they might not have had any such text message.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
To provide some confidence … my 25k Avios arrived on time, as predicted by Barclaycard, this morning.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
To provide some confidence … my 25k Avios arrived on time, as predicted by Barclaycard, this morning.
My 25k is showing, but not the extra sign-up bonus from Head for Points.

Will just have to set a reminder for 6 weeks and then chase.
rum, wilsnunn and SavvyTravel like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:15 am

Just had 5000 avios for compensation appear in my Exec account 🙂
EDIflyer likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Originally Posted by tom31
Just had 5000 avios for compensation appear in my Exec account 🙂
ditto, same here!
Old May 5, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Has anyone who has had the misfortune to be caught up in this farago but not managed to get above the £200 credit limit because their income evidence did not match the Barclaycard requirements, managed to persuade Barclaycard not to charge the initial £20 monthly fee ?

Has anyone managed to communicate successfully with a sentient being at Barclaycard and persuade them to accept alternative evidence, and if so how ??

Finally, has anyone stuck on £200 managed to cancel their card, and if so how ?
Old May 5, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
5000 posted today to my BAEC. I presume this was the 5000 hfp bonus although I only applied April 1st, and Ive had no contact about compensation some people mention above. Who knows! Not complaining!
IFlyPlanes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.