Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
My head is getting fried with all these deals

So £20 a month I can get 25,000 sign up bonus (maybe more if rumours are true), 1.5 Avios per £, and an upgrade voucher. Assuming I aim for £10k spend to get the voucher, that'll earn me at least 40k Avios in the first year and the voucher, but in return I'll have to reduce my Amex Plat spending and lose 10k Amex points. It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, and I'd still book most of my travel via Amex so I'm covered by their insurance. Have I missed anything obvious?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
never said all the cards, but definitely most cards. I too have the HSBC Premier World Elite but I have had it for good few years and cannot remember what was the policy on it but the website still reports the following “Note: You need to make at least one Chip and Pin/Signature transaction to enable the Contactless functionality on your card”. Barclaycard may always have had this policy too. Santander also do as do many other banks. I think now you do many first time Card Activation via OTP and this may supersedes the need for a chip&pin transaction.
I agree that is the case for contactless transactions, but your previous comment said online transactions. There should not be any restriction on online transactions.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by bakera
I agree that is the case for contactless transactions, but your previous comment said online transactions. There should not be any restriction on online transactions.
because some card full activation for transactions that are not verified happens via the same one off chip and pin transaction. The new OTP /Mobile app authorisation will supersede the need to activate the card for online transactions, but again, from reports here, this may still not have worked properly for this new Barclaycard avios
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Exec
I received my Avios Plus Barclaycard this morning, and after online activation I made a contactless purchase (my first purchase on the card ) with no issues . I subsequently tried chip & pin and that has also worked.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm still waiting for the offer for existing Barclaycard holders that's meant to be coming out soon.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:46 am
Original Member

Just got a text

“Thanks for opening your new Avios Plus Barclaycard. We're sorry if you've had problems adding your card to Apple Pay. We're aware of the issue and we'll message you again as soon as you're able to add it. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team“

thing is, I haven’t opened a new Avios plus Barclaycard! I looked at it and did the initial check, but didn’t follow thru

this, along with all the other reported issues isn’t giving me a warm feeling about actually getting one
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I got the text and did apply - unfortunately they seem to have the same issue with Google Pay not working but haven't acknowledged that!

Apple subscriptions also still not working despite card being activated.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Just got a text

“Thanks for opening your new Avios Plus Barclaycard. We're sorry if you've had problems adding your card to Apple Pay. We're aware of the issue and we'll message you again as soon as you're able to add it. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team“

thing is, I haven’t opened a new Avios plus Barclaycard! I looked at it and did the initial check, but didn’t follow thru

this, along with all the other reported issues isn’t giving me a warm feeling about actually getting one
I got the same text and havent applied. I did a soft search to see if I was eligible but didnt apply
Tim_T likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I got the text and did apply - unfortunately they seem to have the same issue with Google Pay not working but haven't acknowledged that!
Have they said they will support Google Pay? Barclaycard like to use their own app on Android.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:47 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Oli Venn
I got the same text and havent applied. I did a soft search to see if I was eligible but didnt apply
yep, that’s what I did as well.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chistery
Have they said they will support Google Pay? Barclaycard like to use their own app on Android.
Oh damn, that'd be annoying. Hopefully once 3DS is sorted it can be added to Curve as don't want the mess of trying to use their app and GPay.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Exec
Paid for council tax online using verification and Barclaycard app to confirm identity, and worked without any issues. I must admit, I wasn’t expecting it to work after reading the comments above.
EDIflyer and rum like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Oh damn, that'd be annoying. Hopefully once 3DS is sorted it can be added to Curve as don't want the mess of trying to use their app and GPay.
I added mine to Curve a couple of days ago, might be worth retrying 👍🏻
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
Received my second card today after the first one got cancelled for not arriving in time. In much better condition and doesnt look like anyone had been snorting a white substance off it! Worked straight away and was able to activate, as well as add to curve and move all my payments from this week back in time to it. Also used it in person at a couple of shops, and changed the pin. Lets hope no more dramas!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:11 pm

3DS issues

In order to activate 3DS (and PayPal, Curve etc.) you must make a chip&pin transaction first.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.