Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Am just on the phone to them about 3DS again. I now get further before the transaction crashes and burns (i.e. the 3DS window actually appears to load properly), and am given an actual error code when it then goes to decline before even attempting to send me a text or app notification. However, the agent doesn't know what that error code means or why I'm seeing a decline as they still don't see the transaction having been submitted on their end.

Curve tell me I can't add it to my portfolio because they're getting a response that indicates I have no funds... (I have plenty of funds, as I can't use the blasted thing to pay for anything!)
EDIflyer, rum and FamilyOf6 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:41 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Some more info:
I called Barclays (number on back of card), who put me through to Barclaycard, who then put me through to the anti-fraud team. It appears the latter team deals with 3DS verification and so on.
They fed me the 'additional 6 days' before "all online transactions" will work properly and that it is a matter of sitting tight and bearing with them.

Barclays are (supposedly) a well-established bank in the UK. No wonder Monzo, Starling and Chase are so popular these days.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Yup, multiple issues trying to spend on it yesterday. 3 calls over half an hour each to remove a block on the card.
Barclaycard customer service is truly awful.
Wait until you try using the chat in the App.

Card working today and 25K Avios earned ;-)
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by rum
Some more info:
I called Barclays (number on back of card), who put me through to Barclaycard, who then put me through to the anti-fraud team. It appears the latter team deals with 3DS verification and so on.
They fed me the 'additional 6 days' before "all online transactions" will work properly and that it is a matter of sitting tight and bearing with them.

Barclays are (supposedly) a well-established bank in the UK. No wonder Monzo, Starling and Chase are so popular these days.
I'm curious as to whether they have a fix scheduled for 6 days time (perhaps a code drop to configure the new card type) or if it is a standard wait of 6 days from date of activation for each customer/card.

If the former, we are perhaps unlucky early adopters. However, if the latter, it really is pants!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by rum
I've been told by Barclaycard CS to use it with a Chip & PIN transaction first and that all online restrictions will be lifted after that. Not sure I believe this, but here goes...
Absolute rubbish. Online transactions not requiring authentication (e.g. Amazon) are working fine, but anything requiring 3DS authentication is declined. Their systems are clearly not set up yet.

What's ridiculous is I was able to book domestic flights in Myanmar for September (no authentication required, despite it being a high-risk of fraud), but a transaction for a UK retailer for £5 was declined...
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:27 pm
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
I'm curious as to whether they have a fix scheduled for 6 days time (perhaps a code drop to configure the new card type) or if it is a standard wait of 6 days from date of activation for each customer/card.

If the former, we are perhaps unlucky early adopters. However, if the latter, it really is pants!
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Either way, it's very poor coming from a financial institution of the size and age of Barclays.

Originally Posted by seattle29
Absolute rubbish. Online transactions not requiring authentication (e.g. Amazon) are working fine, but anything requiring 3DS authentication is declined. Their systems are clearly not set up yet.

What's ridiculous is I was able to book domestic flights in Myanmar for September (no authentication required, despite it being a high-risk of fraud), but a transaction for a UK retailer for £5 was declined...
Yep, had the same experience. I used Amazon as my first transaction with the card and it worked without even a challenge.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ed_flyer
Mar 15: Still no card for me, original or new replacement. Just this text message:

“We're very sorry about the delay in receiving your new Avios Barclaycard. It was due to an issue that has now been fixed and your card should be with you imminently. Thanks for bearing with us. Your Barclaycard Team”

I’m not sure I want the card anymore. The few people who have received it are reporting:

activation issues
3D secure not working
unable to make payments against card balance
unable to activate Apple offer
no Apple Pay

The product is clearly not fit for purpose and should be withdrawn by Barclays.
Mar 16: A card has now arrived. I’ve no idea if this is the original card that was allegedly posted on Mar 1 or the replacement ordered on Mar 14 as there is no date on the envelope or literature inside. The envelope was ripped open on 3 sides and the card was loose inside. The silver document wallet inside was also ripped.

Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ed_flyer
Mar 16: A card has now arrived. I’ve no idea if this is the original card that was allegedly posted on Mar 1 or the replacement ordered on Mar 14 as there is no date on the envelope or literature inside. The envelope was ripped open on 3 sides and the card was loose inside. The silver document wallet inside was also ripped.

Does it work?

I went through he activation process in the app but when I went to use it it was declined
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by binman
Does it work?

I went through he activation process in the app but when I went to use it it was declined
I can’t activate it. Barclaycard confirmed this is the original cancelled card and the new card is due Mar 21 🤷🏼‍♂️

I asked if welcome period can be extended. The lady did not know but said she would contact colleagues and call me back this week.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:51 pm

New card feedback

I found it relatively easy to activate my card.

At present:
  • ApplePay does not function with this card
  • Majority of online transactions also fail as the Mastercard 3DS authentication also does not work.
dougzz likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:44 pm

The experience I have had with Barclays over the last few months with a move to their premier account and again trying to take out this new card has put me off their brand for life. I have already closed the premier account and will be cancelling this credit card too the moment I can finally put a £3k transaction through and get the bonus avios.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Card arrived in wrecked envelope.
Tried to spend £16 at the local M and S/BP garage, insert card and pin didn't work, tap didn't work, swiping card and signing eventually worked.
All a bit strange.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
My first card didn't arrive. Second one did and the phone line says it is activated and managed to get a transaction completed yesterday in person, but unable to register for online services despite over two hours on the phone yesterday.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Reading this thread and the tales of woe and incompetence almost makes me grateful that my holding the old Hilton Barclaycard makes me ineligible to apply or even swap to this new Avios card.

I am amazed at how much you lot have put up with. I would be writing to the latest CEO of Barclays (whoever that is?) and letting them know my feelings.

This shambolic launch, from website falling over on day one, to ripped and shredded envelopes and cards falling on door mats to inability to activate online services and indeed declined payments, online or otherwise, surely will be used in future in university business case lectures as an example of "how not to launch a credit card"

Barclays' reputation must have taken a knock as a result. I'm tempted to complain as a shareholder since the share price has fallen significantly over the last 4 weeks although I suspect that is more likely to be as a result of the dreadful events in Ukraine.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Another problem…. I can’t pay off the card balance. BPE93 error. In addition to it not working with Apple Pay. Grr…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.